Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Earliest public screening here is December 14 at 00:01. Absolute psychopaths seeing the 3+ hour movie at midnight on a weekday.

*books ticket.

ahahah legend

12 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

One thing I'm loving about today (beyond finally having Tickets) is that we have for the first time ever after 13 years of debate, quantifiable and visible data about the demand for this. And its looking mighty positive from what I'm seeing. 

i'm loving it.

I've got a feeling the sales should get a little better too after the advertisements properly start with the new trailer

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

You can't compare AVAtar 2 to Star Wars 7. Those SW movies have a legion of fanatics. Avatar fanatics are not that many. The movie will not open to SW standards, but it will have good legs once the word spreads that Jim has done it again

That just sounds like wishful thinking, to be honest. Where was Cameron when he wrote and produced the box office flops that were Alita and "Terminator 3, but for real, for real this time"?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shachi86 said:

That just sounds like wishful thinking, to be honest. Where was Cameron when he wrote and produced the box office flops that were Alita and "Terminator 3, but for real, for real this time"?

He didn't direct any of those movies and they weren't sequels to the biggest movie. And btw Avatar was Oscar nominated.....for those that say the movie is bad

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Using Oscars as a barometer for what is good:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76114a9fcfcf1db39b8ed3

i agree with Deep Wang, we should use box office instead as that's an objective measure

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

That'll help for sure, but even so, it's a very good start from what I'm seeing, at least in the premium screens

I wonder how long it will take word of mouth to kick in, will Sunday see increased viewings if the film is as groundbreaking as I (and sigourney) think it's going to be. That's more groundbreaking than the first by the way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

He didn't direct any of those movies and they weren't sequels to the biggest movie. And btw Avatar was Oscar nominated.....for those that say the movie is bad

They're literally the only 2 movies he was heavily involved in since the original Avatar, so they're exemplary of where he is now as a creator.

They're literally the only 2 movies he was heavily involved in since the original Avatar, so they're exemplary of where he is now as a creator.

Are you really predicting Avatar 2 will be as badly received as the latest Terminator? :hahaha:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

In theaters I track, the start is impressively pretty similar to a recent CBM with "Black" in the title. 

Black Adam level of sales?  Hmm 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3

4 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

In theaters I track, the start is impressively pretty similar to a recent CBM with "Black" in the title. 

That's probably within the realistic box office range for Avatar 2. $450 - $600m domestic is what I'm expecting.

Edited by shachi86
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, shachi86 said:

That's probably within the realistic box office range for Avatar 2. $500 - $600m domestic is what I'm expecting.

From the way that's worded, I unironically do think that post might be Black Adam though. Cause like, considering relative audience trends, if that was BP it'd be pretty huge for A2, even knowing BP was on the less frontloaded side of things for the MCU. It's not really expected or supposed to sell that much this far out.

Edited by JustLurking

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

From the way that's worded, I unironically do think that post might be Black Adam though. Cause like, considering relative audience trends, if that was BP it'd be pretty huge for A2, even knowing BP was on the less frontloaded side of things for the MCU.

Yikes! $70m opening would be really bad for Avatar 2! That would be below the opening for the original Avatar, which was notoriously affected by a blizzard in North America!

Yikes! $70m opening would be really bad for Avatar 2! That would be below the opening for the original Avatar, which was notoriously affected by a blizzard in North America!

This movie is not going to open to less than the first one. I’m pretty certain of that. 

• Like 1