Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

44 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

He's alluding to the fact Jim has supernatural powers when it comes to directing and also is a master of his craft. Remember Del Toro and Jim are friends so take with a grain of salt.

Besides, we already know it's going to be this good... how many times do I have to say it.

groundbreaking visuals
experiential filmaking - feel like you're on pandora (core feeling from the first film)

improved 3D

richer story than the first, with more emotional impact

Incredible action sequence

Amazing score (it's already won some music award)

Welcome brother  Iron jimbo.. We are weeks away now finally!

Pandora is going for everything at the box office 👍😎🏋‍♀️

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

He’s been saying that for years, I don’t think he realises what pain my eyes are in having to watch the extended version of The Abyss on an ancient non-anamorphic DVD that looks like I’m watching it through Vaseline.

Unfortunately, I got so pissed through the years of waiting that I finally found some illegal copy on Russian boards that looks like some good remaster and is open matte, but I still wait for official 4k blu-ray of The Abyss.

Edited by adaros
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

I believe this can do a billion overseas, but I doubt it will do more than Top Gun domestically. Probably close though.

I think we can get Top gun domestically. Avatar is that film if it delivers that out of the world experience and quality of.the first.We could see the first 1b domestic run. Avatar 2 is going after everything..target Top gun 2 and Nwh ww going down first. 😎

16 minutes ago, adaros said:

Somebody earlier linked this website to check status of cinemas opened, now its at 51.7%

https://piaofang.taopiaopiao.com/app/alipic/beacon-h5/moviepro/business-map.html

Thanks Adaros for link. We can still get good nums if China gives.avatar 2 a long run and nothing further happens. Would prefer it at 60% though. 👍. But doesn't china have multiple cities. Is the 51 % representing a few cities or all of Chinas bo tc counts ??

24 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Man, catching up on this thread is something. Apparently Cameron having a positive opinion on a TV show is some kind of heresy and proves the movie is gonna be shit? 

Yes, and Del Toro liking a Cameron movie is a red flag 

Weird thread to be today

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Del Toro has seen it (and loved it) 

I really dont trust del Toro's opiniong on anything, but its probably a good sign

I assume this means it'll make it in time for NYFCC and LAFCC 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adaros said:

Unfortunately, I got so pissed through the years of waiting that I finally found some illegal copy on Russian boards that looks like some good remaster and is open matte, but I still wait for official 4k blu-ray of The Abyss.

wanna share (the file name)?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

He’s been saying that for years, I don’t think he realises what pain my eyes are in having to watch the extended version of The Abyss on an ancient non-anamorphic DVD that looks like I’m watching it through Vaseline.

He has been saying it for years, but he;s also been prepping AVATAR sequels for years. Now A2 is finished, and with A3 already filmed and Weta working on the visuals, Cameron probably has a bit of extra time to get to stuff like this. He does like to oversee this kind of stuff himself to make sure its done right.

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Del Toro has seen it (and loved it) 

When Cameron said he might not direct all 4 Avatar sequels, I thought my #1 pick to replace him would be Del Toro. Proficient with VFX, big scale action and good too at pulling emotional strings. Hell he won an Oscar for a movie named "The Shape of Water" about a love story between a human and a humanoid creature. I'm sure he could do something interesting with Avatar.

Now given the fact he has already seen the sequel, I wouldn't be surprised if that possibility was discussed. But of course I'm still hoping Cameron will direct all 4!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

• The most prepared Jim has ever been by a massive margin. He usually just jumps straight in with his script and works from there.
  • Groundbreaking visuals are a given, they'll well ahead of their time just like the first. It matches Avatar there. But the leaps forward in animation are crazy for this film. The amount of facial shots with high emotion need next level CGI
  • every single thing i've heard from cast & Jim points to it being even more groundbreaking than the first. Sigourney literally said the exact words she thinks its more groundbreaking than the first in the 27 minute fandango interview. Sam thinks so too.

Well, maybe, we'll see. The biggest leap in CGI here is probably water, that water and underwater mocap look incredible, the rest I wouldn't say that much different from the first one and it doesn't have 3D hype/novelty factor that surrounded the first one. This one needs to have a great story, lore and characters with resonance factor, so people would want to come back for more.

2 hours ago, Alexdube said:

When Cameron said he might not direct all 4 Avatar sequels, I thought my #1 pick to replace him would be Del Toro. Proficient with VFX, big scale action and good too at pulling emotional strings. Hell he won an Oscar for a movie named "The Shape of Water" about a love story between a human and a humanoid creature. I'm sure he could do something interesting with Avatar.

Now given the fact he has already seen the sequel, I wouldn't be surprised if that possibility was discussed. But of course I'm still hoping Cameron will direct all 4!

Iger will fly to New Zealand and fight Jim in the parking lot if that's what it takes for him to direct 4 & 5. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

I mean, Del Toro feels kinda obligated to give it a positive press considering Cameron paid the ransom money to get Del Toro's father back from his kidnappers. 

He feels obligated to praise a movie nobody knew he saw because of an 1997 favor? Wtf

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Firepower said:

Well, maybe, we'll see. The biggest leap in CGI here is probably water, that water and underwater mocap look incredible, the rest I wouldn't say that much different from the first one and it doesn't have 3D hype/novelty factor that surrounded the first one. This one needs to have a great story, lore and characters with resonance factor, so people would want to come back for more.

Everything about the production points to this being the case. Every interview from the cast points to this being the case. Jim himself has said this is the case multiple times. All the indicators are right in front of us!

On the CGI thing,so what was it about the CGI of Avatar what made it so groundbreaking? You might be thinking the detail, which is partially true. However the main thing about Avatar's CGI was the scale. We already had high detail CGI characters like King Kong and Davy Jones (Pirates), but these were a few characters. Jim decided he wanted to make a film which was 70% CGI, almost a fully animated film that attempted to be photo-realistic, nothing like this had been attempted before.

Now with Avatar 2, obviously the detail has increased a lot just like the first had. The lighting is better, higher res textures, more poly textures all the good stuff. A2 has even more scale than the first, but it also has WATER. When there's so much damn water on the screen all the time, and that water is cutting edge and completely groundbreaking, running completely new VFX techniques using AI, matched with the underwater motion capture, and how water looks Underwater rather than above water. This is completely new ground! You know it's incredible, but if half the scenes feature this incredible revolutionary thing you got to think the films gonna be groundbreaking.

Oh and as 3D isn't just plug & play, you need to spend a lot of time on every shot to get it looking right, there's a skill to it (which is why it's bad in most films) and also technology in play to get it right. So naturally the 3D is better now too. Jim's said it will be the best to his absolute best ability.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1