Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

32 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Are you sure? I remember seeing a 4chan thread from a few months ago of people mocking these movies.

"a" thread is nothing compared to the daily volume of pro-avatar threads 

1 hour ago, Eric Claus said:

You say that, but there's also these thumbnails. They already got the knives out.

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

One might expect that to happen, but I have never seen a real-life example of that, if anything theyre pretty thankful for Cameron's subtlety

A quick glance through 4chan's /tv/ board makes it clear that it might just be the most excited those guys have ever been for a movie, other folks from this thread can probably back me up on that; /tv/ was one of the few places on the internet were people who were excited about avatar hung out 

Oh no. The people who ffollow these idiots went to 8chan or kiwi farms

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

yep, and from what i've seen on the ground (mostly /tv/), those youtubers seem to be out of step with their usual viewers (and though I dont watch his videos, I clicked on the critical drinker one, and he says hes cautiously optimistic )

Didn't he make a video mocking the 1st film though

3 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Didn't he make a video mocking the 1st film though

yep

but he said that even if doesnt like the first avatar, he much prefers it to current star wars and marvel

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

3 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

FjDPq_XaAAAzgGv.png

The genre of men who sit around and talk into a microphone all day but are actually the real masculine men is unbeatable.

Matt Walsh is obviously one of the worst, but Ol Jimmy heavily implied he wouldn't make some of his earlier movies today because he shed his 'poisonous testosterone' as an older man, and this is kinda eye rolling because I think most people agree much of his earlier work is still his best.  After all, what kind of sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Matt Walsh is obviously one of the worst, but Ol Jimmy heavily implied he wouldn't make some of his earlier movies today because he shed his 'poisonous testosterone' as an older man, and this is kinda eye rolling because I think most people agree much of his earlier work is still his best.  After all, what kind of sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?

I don't really think his philosophy has changed that much personally (the message he sends in terminator is not so different from what he sends in avatar - technology can be good but mankind just doesn't know where to stop), he's just moved from more adrenalinic, balls to the walls pics to a more 4quadrant audience, families and whatnot, which is an understandable path for him.

And like, while I do think Terminator 2 is his best film, his older films already had a lot of characteristics that people today would call woke because they don't even have a clue what the hell woke means anymore.

10 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

True Lies is pretty messed up though. They literally had Arnie use all his resources to stalk and traumatize his wife just so they could find a contrived way for her to be in the third act. It's so uncomfortable to watch this stuff unfold, even with Bill Paxton's character being funny.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Eric Claus said:

True Lies is pretty messed up though. They literally had Arnie use all his resources to stalk and traumatize his wife just so they could find a contrived way for her to be in the third act. It's so uncomfortable to watch this stuff unfold, even with Bill Paxton's character being funny.

Its his 2nd best movie after T2

32 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Maybe it's me, but someone self-reflecting and learning to change/grow/learn is far less eye-rolling than those that refuse and would rather die than change.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2

25 minutes ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

Iron Studios does exceptional work. I remember they did a full Infinity Gauntlet that was a 100% recreation of the one from the movie. 

Looking more carefully at the statue, the position of her left hand is incorrect, along with the arrow being on the wrong side of the bow. 

• Astonished 2

17 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Maybe it's me, but someone self-reflecting and learning to change/grow/learn is far less eye-rolling than those that refuse and would rather die than change.

You're speaking in a generality here that's impossible to argue with.  Like who is gonna disagree with this statement?

I'm specifically talking about a man attributing 'poisonous testosterone' to the creative process of his earlier and best work which is eye-rolling, especially when none of his earlier stuff is ever associated with 'toxic masculinity' except maybe a few aspects of True Lies(which is still a bit of a reach imo).

22 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm specifically talking about a man attributing 'poisonous testosterone' to the creative process of his earlier and best work which is eye-rolling, especially when none of his earlier stuff is ever associated with 'toxic masculinity' except maybe a few aspects of True Lies(which is still a bit of a reach imo).

Whether or not his earlier films are considered to have 'toxic masculinity' embeded in them isn't relavent to the creative process itself. I'm pretty sure Jim thinks he considers the way he directs now to be better and more efficient.

To me Jimbo is talking about becoming more of a team-leader, than a dictator, in his directing approach. That's it, he happened to use a word which triggered a few people.

• Like 3