Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, dignam said:

For example sarah connor or ripley , ok ripley was created by ridley scott but cameron turned her into a bad ass female character.

Uh, no. Ripley already iconic and bad ass without Cameron. I would argue she is better in the first one, because she has no traditional feminine burdens and it just treated like a person. A rare and refreshing take from American films. 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

We're a day a way from reactions and knowing if 3 billion is possible

anyone want to make any predictions?

I sure hope I didnt spend the last year shilling a movie thats going to get less than an 80 on metracritic, so that, together with my trust in JC, mixed with the 10 years of active development, means my prediction is 91 on metacritic 

feel free to laugh at me when it ends up getting a 92 (or 82 or 72)

sure hope this doesnt age terribly

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Haha 1

Pre-sale comparison in my area - 3 different theatre complex - criteria 10 days out from Thursday previews (Avatar Way of Water vs Black Panther Wakanda Forever) - keep in mind that BP has 4 extra showings over the 4 days for most of the formats (Thur-Sun). 

IMAX: Avatar 2,953 tickets sold vs 2,752 for Black Panther

Screen X: Avatar 153 vs 181 for BP

Regular 2D: Avatar 30 vs 703 for BP

Regular 3D: Avatar 70 vs 168 for BP

VIP 19+ 3D: Avatar 280 vs 273 for BP

VIP 19 Reg: Avatar N/A vs 489 for BP

Ultra AVX/DBox/3D: Avatar 286 vs 308 for BP

Ultra AVX/DBox/Reg: Avatar N/A vs 111 for BP

Total tickets sold 10 days out: Avatar 3,772 - Black Panther 4,985

I would also like to add that BP total tickets sold one day out from Thurs previews was 9,515 - the effect of positive reviews cannot be understated. 

Edited by Deuce66
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

We're a day a way from reactions and knowing if 3 billion is possible

anyone want to make any predictions?

I sure hope I didnt spend the last year shilling a movie thats going to get less than an 80 on metracritic, so that, together with my trust in JC, mixed with the 10 years of active development, means my prediction is 91 on metacritic 

feel free to laugh at me when it ends up getting a 92 (or 82 or 72)

sure hope this doesnt age terribly

why do you need reactions to know if Avatar 2 will be good... it's the first movie but more groundbreaking with a richer story. It is known.

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Even you have to have something in the back of your mind wanting confirmation rather than blind faith

sure but I have a really good (EXPERT) grasp on exactly what the movie will be and how it will be recieved.

Yes, it will be nice to see the reactions tomorrow I can't lie 😅 but people are talking about how it's a big question mark what the reactions will be. When the odds are overhemling in the camp of it being amazing.

Edited by IronJimbo

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

sure but I have a really good (EXPERT) grasp on exactly what the movie will be and how it will be recieved.

Yes, it will be nice to see the reactions tomorrow I can't lie 😅 but people are talking about how it's a big question mark what the reactions will be. When the odds are overhemling in the camp of it being amazing.

The main thing is, tomorrow is when the buck finally stops and we get to have a real sense of how the world might view this, beyond our petty squabbles and beliefs. Still can't quite believe we're in the home stretch now. 

Edited by SchumacherFTW
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

theres a big difference between a 91 and a 96

amazing, but how amazing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

theres a big difference between a 91 and a 96

amazing, but how amazing?

it's gonna be interesting what the critic scores are, those are the people I can't predict.

Avatar's scores a 82% RT critic and Audience.

Metacritic scores 83, and a user score of 7.5

I think the fact most of these reviews are from people watching the film not in 3D and at home, is going to deinflate the scores.

I feel like the fact it's going to have a richer story this time should help it get a higher critic score.

11 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Cameron Directed movies - it's silly to think he's going to punch out a complete lemon, look at the catalog.

Terminator

Aliens

The Abyss

Terminator 2

True Lies

Titanic

I mean, not saying it's going to happen (and I don't believe it will), but this is a fallacy. A ton of the most decorated directors have had a dud at some point.

27 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I don't trust RT or any other movie score websites. I only trust what I see with my eyes at cinema.

32 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

means my prediction is 91 on metacritic 

You might be aiming too high. The first one got 83. As long as it's around 80 it should be fine. Even if it's tad below, don't panic. Critical darling like Dune sits at "only" 74.

7 minutes ago, Elessar said:

You might be aiming too high. The first one got 83. As long as it's around 80 it should be fine. Even if it's tad below, don't panic. Critical darling like Dune sits at "only" 74.

probably, but after all that shilling I feel like i've the right to aim high and be dissapointed with anything other than a masterpiece

as long at it is over 75 itll be fine

after all, even my favorite movie, love exposure, only has a 78

• Like 1

Just now, Borobudur said:

I know the social reaction is under embargo but zero leak??? Is that possible? 

no one cares about it, sub 1-billion confirmed

• Like 1