Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

The narratives here are going way too far, a film can't gross as much as Endgame did and not be an event, the fuck.

Alright then we will just call all the top grossing movies of all time event movies and not bother with the discussion

11 minutes ago, Nero said:

Saying something just for the sake of saying so it suits your narrative and makes you feel better 🤣🤣😂😂

I don't have a narrative. I joined in the conversation with an opinion and you all got offended. Sorry

13 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

As am I, no bond movie came close to what Endgame managed from Thursday to Sunday, that's an event. 

Maybe i just set too high of a bar for what I consider an event. Endgame had a 60% market expansion and a sizable inflation jump on it's side over Avatar and made the same amount of money so it's hard for me to call them both events but ok the opening weekend is an event in itself. If we are going by openings then DH2 should deserve a mention too then for it's impressive midnights.

Just now, SullyJake said:

I don't have a narrative. I joined in the conversation with an opinion and you all got offended. Sorry

Maybe i just set too high of a bar for what I consider an event. Endgame had a 60% market expansion and a sizable inflation jump on it's side over Avatar and made the same amount of money so it's hard for me to call them both events but ok the opening weekend is an event in itself. If we are going by openings then DH2 should deserve a mention too then for it's impressive midnights.

Circumstances always change, you could say no 21st century film is an event, Avatar included, because none of them came even close to selling the same amount of tickets as Titanic. Endgame was an event as the culmination of the MCU, the franchise that basically shaped this era of theatergoing, and the absurd opening weekend hype for it proves that much.

Absolutely no bias coming from me, by the way, I thought the film sucked lmao. But you still have to recognise its achievements :)

• Like 1

Endgame was absolutely an event and the way it stole the OW record from its predecessor by 100M or so more than justifies it. Sometimes I wonder if it was released in December if it would have made 1 Billion Domestically. I don't know how long it will be until something breaks Endgame's OW record, but I imagine it will likely hold it for most if not all of this decade, which is insane, and unprecedented for anything to hold it for more than 4 years. And I say this as someone who has never been bothered to watch Endgame. 

12 minutes ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

Moderation 

Let’s stay on topic and move away from this particular debate. We can agree to disagree on what the definition of an event movie is but since this is only tangentially related to Avatar at this point, it doesn’t belong on this thread.

Oops sorry. Started writing my post before I saw this. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Endgame was absolutely an event and the way it stole the OW record from its predecessor by 100M or so more than justifies it. Sometimes I wonder if it was released in December if it would have made 1 Billion Domestically. I don't know how long it will be until something breaks Endgame's OW record, but I imagine it will likely hold it for most if not all of this decade, which is insane, and unprecedented for anything to hold it for more than 4 years. And I say this as someone who has never been bothered to watch Endgame. 

Ive found opening weekend records never stay as long as we expect it to. Holding it for 8 more years will be such a tough task. Something will come along

Today is the day... first reactions. Can´t believe that it´s finally happening. What an exciting time. Reactions will naturally be positive but I really hope they are glowing. My mind issue with the first one was the story and it made me so happy when Cameron said that he has had a foucs on that aswelll. Visually I have no doubt it deliver but I need the story aswell. To me 2B+ is locked and 3B if we get reactions that say Cameron has done it again.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Interesting but at same time strange. If I wasn't happy with my salary company offer for my work I wouldn't take this job at first place. Or it's nice to have Weta in your portfolio so you take job for few months - that kind of mentality.

Edited by adaros