Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If Avatar 2 does make less than No Way Home, if you look across international markets you'll be hard pressed to find literally any other country in the world that grossed more for Spidey than A2.

The really interesting part is how American soceity could let this happen? and what it means for their future....

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

Frankly, it’s not surprising that a country like the US is gonna like movies with homemade superheroes filled with patriotic and nostalgic vibes more than a movie that’s basically about how Western culture won’t stop destroying the nature and subdue innocent minorities…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mr Roark said:

Frankly, it’s not surprising that a country like the US is gonna like movies with homemade superheroes filled with patriotic and nostalgic vibes more than a movie that’s basically about how Western culture won’t stop destroying the nature and subdue innocent minorities…

Don't take this seriously it's not that deep. If that was the case Avatar 1 wouldn't have made that much. As for why western culture won't stop destroying nature well it's simple: Capitalism 

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

What ALSO happened in 2016... :ph34r:

(a few days later, no less)

Hide contents

The joke is: The Cubs winning the World Series was a sign of the Apocalypse, which was soon confirmed  by the results of the presidential election.

Many many variations of that joke were made (including about Trump winning) in the immediate aftermath of the Cubbies winning the WS, only to come much much MUCH less funny about a week plus later

Well I didn't even know what the cubs were much less when they won, so...thanks for the explanation though

• Like 1

Moderation: Things are starting to get a bit heated in here so why don’t we take a break and let things cool off for a while. 

I’ve said this before but it doesn’t seem to get through to some people that you can enjoy your movie and discuss it without needing to trash and bring down other movies. We have seen a lot of that over the years in this thread. Looks like thread bans are needed.

Please remember not to get personal in your debates. 

I am locking for an hour. 

• Like 2

Moderation: One hour is up and thread is now open up again for discussions. Many people have received warnings and some thread bans. I reiterate again, do not troll or engage in fanboy discourse and try not to shit on other movies to prop up your own movie. Factual comparisons made in a non trollish way are OK but we have seen time and again that fans do not do that in this thread. 

If you find a post egregious, ignore it. If a post breaks forum rules, report it. And also remember we have an ignore function on the forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

What ALSO happened in 2016... :ph34r:

(a few days later, no less)

Hide contents

The joke is: The Cubs winning the World Series was a sign of the Apocalypse, which was soon confirmed  by the results of the presidential election.

Many many variations of that joke were made (including about Trump winning) in the immediate aftermath of the Cubbies winning the WS, only to come much much MUCH less funny about a week plus later

Check the date

I rely on Charlie for the OS totals estimate and he's currently going with $1.23B OS-C IIRC. So as of today I'd say the upper and lower bounds would be....

Minimum (DOM, OS, China)

500 - 1100 - 100 = 1700

Maximum (DOM, OS, China)

650 - 1350 - 160 - 2160

I'm on the ~$1.85-1.9B train until legs are a bit more clear.

26 minutes ago, XXR It's 2 Damn Cold Out said:

I rely on Charlie for the OS totals estimate and he's currently going with $1.23B OS-C IIRC. So as of today I'd say the upper and lower bounds would be....

Minimum (DOM, OS, China)

500 - 1100 - 100 = 1700

Maximum (DOM, OS, China)

650 - 1350 - 160 - 2160

I'm on the ~$1.85-1.9B train until legs are a bit more clear.

Charlie said his China upper bound is 200 I think. Pretty skeptical on it getting there unless TWE2 moves, however.

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Charlie said his China upper bound is 200 I think. Pretty skeptical on it getting there unless TWE2 moves, however.

Yea I saw that but I just don't see those kind of legs from China. It's only at ~75M or so? Can't see it doing 2.8x opening week in a market that is usually a 2x OWE. If I'm wrong then that's great but 200M feels like a very rosy prediction. 

2 minutes ago, XXR It's 2 Damn Cold Out said:

Yea I saw that but I just don't see those kind of legs from China. It's only at ~75M or so? Can't see it doing 2.8x opening week in a market that is usually a 2x OWE. If I'm wrong then that's great but 200M feels like a very rosy prediction. 

Ard 90M as of today I think. Only way I see it leg out that much is if covid uproots the competition for a while I guess.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1