Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

:oThats insane!And I doubt he'll beat Avatar's gross with this, however its not going to drop off a cliff or anything. I'd say $400m DOM and $1.3+ OS likely. Depends if Avatar can do his magic trick.

Wait what??? You expect Avatar to only earn 400m??? lol, that's not happening, it's even less than THG.
  • Like 2

I love listening to these little piss-ant nay-sayers trying to talk like they know storytelling and boxoffice. They make me laugh. If Cameron was here, he'd laugh too.Nay-sayers: Are you trying to frighten us Mr. vc2002?I dont have to, because when Avatar 2 comes, all fucking hell is gonna break loose, and you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could be bitching so loudly and not being made a fool of.

I love listening to fanboys of this film trying to use its boxoffice to defend its flat storytelling and characters. Avatar defense 101. I also love some of the others in this thread that are now trying to comparing Avatar to classics like Aliens, The Termiantor, and Terminator 2 by picking them apart in terms of storytelling in a laughable attempt to defend it. You boys are sensitive with your long posts.

Avatar is not, and will not become a beloved classic.

I know it's all but a subjective game, but if I try to be objectively speaking, any film that became the highest grossing film of all time, became a unforgettable film instantly, because it's rare in the film history and it must have reached the maximium range of the audience that a film can do in its era. Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

It's pretty much already a forgotten movie.

Yeah right like everybody forgot Gone With The Wind and Titanic. Keep trying Mr. Delusional.Prometheus, that's what I call a forgettable movie with flat cardboard characters and poor man's storytelling. Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

I love listening to fanboys of this film trying to use its boxoffice to defend its flat storytelling and characters. Avatar defense 101.I also love some of the others in this thread that are now trying to comparing Avatar to classics like Aliens, The Termiantor, and Terminator 2 by picking them apart in terms of storytelling in a laughable attempt to defend it. You boys are sensitive with your long posts.

Avatar is to Cameron's earlier classics what the prequels are to the original trilogy. Visually spectacular and certainly enjoyable, but a pale shadow of what came before.

Avatar is to Cameron's earlier classics what the prequels are to the original trilogy. Visually spectacular and certainly enjoyable, but a pale shadow of what came before.

Come on now...while it might not be of the quality of his earlier films, it's certainly not the level of incompetent filmmaking that the prequels were. Avatar may have had a derivative story and plain characters and dialogue, but it wasn't that much of a drop in a quality. I even like the prequels (ok, not Phantom Menace)...but those movies have some truly horrid acting and directorial and story choices that make Avatar look like a freaking masterpiece.
  • Like 2

Avatar's screenplay is as bad as, if not worse than any of the prequels. There is literally not a single piece of witty or memorable dialogue in the whole movie (shocking from the writer of T1 and T2, which were both full of quotable dialogue) and the plot is extremely repetitive. Luckily, Cameron is still a better director than Lucas so the film just about gets away with it on style and cinematic storytelling alone.

Avatar's screenplay is as bad as, if not worse than any of the prequels.

Ha, that's so off base it's funny. But to each their own. It'll be a cold day in hell before I'd ever agree with that perspective though. Avatar may have bland dialogue, but it's a structurally sound script. I don't even know how one can pretend Avatar's dialogue is somehow worse than the stuff that comes out of people's mouths in the prequels though. Not even good performances could've saved some of that dialogue.
  • Like 2

The script is as tight as you can get. Actually, it's 100% effective in its structure. Straightforward storytelling 101. Simple, doesn't mean bad. No meandering faux intellectual bullshit, straight to the point. That's what every screenwriter aim to achieve.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

The script is as tight as you can get. Actually, it's 100% effective in its structure. Straightforward storytelling 101. Simple, doesn't mean bad. No meandering faux intellectual bullshit, straight to the point. That's what every screenwriter aim to achieve.

No doubt. Cameron isn't some poet, and his dialogue can often be utilitarian at best...but his structure, and ability to build up and payoff story beats is still there In spades. something the prequels sorely lack.Titanic is kind of the same story with regards to that script. He's not eloquent, but that's hardly the only quality of good writing. Edited by kowhite
  • Like 3