Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Bendis critiquing someone else's writing is pretty hilarious

Yeah. I think he is quite good at coming up with conceits and scenarios for plots, and he has some intriguing ideas, but his actual writing, in my opinion, is...ugh, I don't know...not to my liking.

Can't wait for the 800M+/3B+ predictions. We learned our lessons with Titanic (most of us weren't around), we learned our lesson with Avatar. Even T2 was gigantic leap from T1, have we learned our lesson not to doubt Cameron we will see.

Can't wait for the 800M+/3B+ predictions. We learned our lessons with Titanic (most of us weren't around), we learned our lesson with Avatar. Even T2 was gigantic leap from T1, have we learned our lesson not to doubt Cameron we will see.

Cameron's streak as king of the box office will end eventually. Remember The Abyss was a box office disappointment (though not quality-wise obviously). Expecting A2 to drop from the first one is not being a "hater".

Cameron's streak as king of the box office will end eventually. Remember The Abyss was a box office disappointment (though not quality-wise obviously). Expecting A2 to drop from the first one is not being a "hater".

My post said T2 after T2 has had a hot streak like none other.

Expecting A2 to drop is not doubting Cameron. I'm currently predicting 650m for A2 and you know I'm a huge Avatar and Cameron fan. I just won't rule out the possibility of A2 making more than 760m. Heck I won't even rule out 450m because it can happen if the marketing is at John Carter level and the reception is at Batman and Robin level LOL. They are just not probable.

This is gonna be a really interesting boxoffice event to follow. Cameron claimed the boxoffice king twice 12 years apart, but he actually hasnt had a film with the OW bigger than 80m. This is the era for huge opening wknds, not good legs, but Cameron made huge openers his bitches. A2 will definitely be frontloaded and will not have the same multiplier, so it will be interesting to see how he's gonna work his magic again.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

Expecting A2 to drop is not doubting Cameron. I'm currently predicting 650m for A2 and you know I'm a huge Avatar and Cameron fan. I just won't rule out the possibility of A2 making more than 760m. Heck I won't even rule out 450m because it can happen if the marketing is at John Carter level and the reception is at Batman and Robin level LOL. They are just not probable.

This is gonna be a really interesting boxoffice event to follow. Cameron claimed the boxoffice king twice 12 years apart, but he actually hasnt had a film with the OW bigger than 80m. This is the era for huge opening wknds, not good legs, but Cameron made huge openers his bitches. A2 will definitely be frontloaded and will not have the same multiplier, so it will be interesting to see how he's gonna work his magic again.

It won't need 10X if it makes 140M OW, will need 5.4X. Roughly half of what Avatar did.

I think it's quite possible -- and perhaps even likely -- that it suffers a SW->EMPIRE drop. It'll open big and then have "normal" strong legs, 3.3-3.8x or so.

That's strong legs for summer releases is it? For a winter sequel, should it be a bit higher to be called strong?

Hope i'm wrong but $450m is more likely than $650m.

• Like 1

I don't think Avatar developed a big enough following. Not neccessarily because it isn't a great movie, it just isn't your typical fanboy movie. The same way a sequel to Titanic wouldn't automatically come anywhere close to the original. And there's that been there done that feeling with a sequel. It kinda needs to win over audiences all over again.