Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

He feels obligated to praise a movie nobody knew he saw because of an 1997 favor? Wtf

While I agree Del Toro does think the movies incredible... but to call it a favor is rough man.

Jim gave $1m dollars ransom money and knew a professional neogiator that was top class to talk to the kidnappers. From Toro's point of view you have to think Jim potentially saved his father's life.

6 hours ago, Alexdube said:

When Cameron said he might not direct all 4 Avatar sequels, I thought my #1 pick to replace him would be Del Toro. Proficient with VFX, big scale action and good too at pulling emotional strings. Hell he won an Oscar for a movie named "The Shape of Water" about a love story between a human and a humanoid creature. I'm sure he could do something interesting with Avatar.

Now given the fact he has already seen the sequel, I wouldn't be surprised if that possibility was discussed. But of course I'm still hoping Cameron will direct all 4!

Damn i hope not, Shape of water was awful

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, SullyJake said:

Well honestly I still haven't seen it :hahaha:

It's one of those movies that I mean to see but stay stuck in my watchlist for a long time. But I have seen enough of his work to know he could do something with the material, with Cameron's guidance of course. Don't be so negative!

Nobody is a bigger Cameron supporter than I am, I just try to manage my expectations. Making a movie for him is an all consuming project, which is why he makes so few of them. And now we're almost certainly getting 2 big ones in a relatively small interval. I am already pretty satisfied with that, everything else will be a bonus.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alexdube said:

When Cameron said he might not direct all 4 Avatar sequels, I thought my #1 pick to replace him would be Del Toro. Proficient with VFX, big scale action and good too at pulling emotional strings. Hell he won an Oscar for a movie named "The Shape of Water" about a love story between a human and a humanoid creature. I'm sure he could do something interesting with Avatar.

Now given the fact he has already seen the sequel, I wouldn't be surprised if that possibility was discussed. But of course I'm still hoping Cameron will direct all 4!

Seen 'insiders' say that Cameron is trying to scare Disney into getting more money out of them for the sequels, something he's done before on films.

We know he's already shot parts of A4, and according to Stephen Lang he's even shot the finale to A5.

So yeah if A2 and A3 are huge (which they will be) and Disney go ahead with 4 and 5, i'm 99% crtain Cameron will be directing them.

24 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Seen 'insiders' say that Cameron is trying to scare Disney into getting more money out of them for the sequels, something he's done before on films.

We know he's already shot parts of A4, and according to Stephen Lang he's even shot the finale to A5.

So yeah if A2 and A3 are huge (which they will be) and Disney go ahead with 4 and 5, i'm 99% crtain Cameron will be directing them.

Yeah I still believe he will do all of them, most likely. It's really just a "what if"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alexdube said:

How about no and do At The The Mountains of Madness instead.

kthxbai

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SullyJake said:

Doesn't matter because NIGHTMARE ALLEY is brilliant!  "You're only as good as your last picture..."  

And his Best Pic win for 'Shape of Water' was, like many others in Oscar history, a kind of career-catch up for the brilliance of his other films so far like 'Cronos', 'The Devil's Backbone', moments of the 'Hellboys' and yes... BLADE II.  😁

I love the guy, but don't know how I'd feel about him taking on AVATAR, either...  

Edited by Macleod

34 minutes ago, AniNate said:

GDT wouldn't be the right fit imo. His semi satirical directing style clashes with the resoundingly earnest tone of Avatar.

Oh he can do earnest, have you seen the trailer for his Pinocchio movie? Don't tell me that isn't earnest...

But it's not just about style, it's also who you trust. Let's take Empire Strikes Back for instance, nothing in Irvin Kershner's career would make you think he was the right fit to directed a Star Wars sequel. But Lucas trusted him, Kershner had been his teacher in the past and they were sort of distant friends. And it gave us what many consider to be the best Star Wars movie.

When I think of director friends Cameron has, I'm thinking mainly of 2 names: del Toro, and Rodriguez. I like Rodriguez but he is probably too scrappy to make an Avatar movie. GDT has a more polished style, which might be all that's needed. 

But any of this probably won't matter, because in the end Cameron will direct all four sequels and make 10 bajillion dollars.

• Like 1

I just saw Pinocchio and there is an element of satire in there. I very much don't want Rodriguez anywhere near this franchise.

And yes, hopefully none of this matters because really I don't want anyone directing future movies but Cameron. I think his name is the main selling point to the GA tbh.

2 hours ago, Toruk Makto XXR said:

Finally got my tickets to ATWOW and I'm seeing it as it's meant to be seen!

Normal citizens of planet earth prefer 3D for 3D movies, what country are you from?

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I just saw Pinocchio and there is an element of satire in there. I very much don't want Rodriguez anywhere near this franchise.

And yes, hopefully none of this matters because really I don't want anyone directing future movies but Cameron. I think his name is the main selling point to the GA tbh.

I'll be so sad if big Jim doesn't finish the saga himself, but if he doesn't do Avatar 4 I would have to assume the entire team is self-sufficient at that stage, and whatever director they pick won't actually be making many creative decisions. The only way I see Jim not doing 4 & 5 is if 2 & 3 underperform ($2-2.5b)

• Like 1