Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

19 minutes ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

Tier 1 = TFA, Endgame 

Tier 2 = Avengers, JW, Black Panther, Infinity War, NWH, TGM 

Now the King has returned. I think this will push Avatar 1 and End game to number 2 and 3 Spots :).. 

I think NWH is up there with Endgame. No pandemic NWH would have all the records.

Tier 1 after 2009 is NWH, Endgame

Tier 2= Avengers, Black Panther, Infinity War, JPW

Edited by Sheldon Cr

34 minutes ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

Tier 1 = TFA, Endgame 

Tier 2 = Avengers, JW, Black Panther, Infinity War, NWH, TGM 

Star Wars and Superhero movies... always stronger domestically, no surprises there. Fan driven franchises...

JW is a recycled IP... big meh... Only the original was a proper event.

TGM made a lot of money but I don't really view that as an "event movie" Too small in scale, and isn't really made for everyone. To the credit of the movie, I think it's impressive a movie about fighter jets did as much as it did. And do I really need to explain why a movie like Top Gun would do better in America than Europe?

Truthfully I don't think anyone in the business is doing what Cameron is doing right now. He essentially has no competition. The last guy that did it other than him was Spielberg but he's doing smaller stuff now. And other "big movie" guys like Nolan or Villeneuve just don't have the same universal appeal

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

A breakfast show at night? :thinking:

Breakfast show in the US refers to a style of mindless talkshow that originally was on in the morning..hence the term breakfast show...but has now invaded prime time and late night time periods.

• Thanks 1

That has a really really good joke at the end, id recommend watching it a 2x speed just for that, but the joke wont work if you dont watch it from beginning to end

5 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Evidently there is a critics screening in NYC on Tuesday for the film. Not sure what time but some reactions may leak. Apologies if this has already been posted.

The social media embargo breaks tomorrow, so I don't think it'll be a leak, but will instead arrive right on time at 6pm EST.

TFA is the only event movie since Avatar 

But then we all have our own definitions of what is an event movie. I class an event movie as a film that manages to hijack all tv stations and news channels for weeks and gets people from all ages talking about it. This rules out anything Marvel including Endgame for me because hardly anyone over 50 knew or cared of it's existence. It just played very well with its target audience 

Edited by SullyJake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm not sure how you can call Endgame a non event movie, the definition of an event is the see it NOW factor, hence Endgame making a billion dollars in less than a week. And beating Avatar briefly globally. It may have appealed to a younger demo but it absolutely was an event. 

Because if I was 50 years old I wouldn't know anything about it. But ok if we are calling movies event for certain demographs then films like BATB were events for teensge girls and Bohemian Rhapsody for the older generation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SullyJake said:

Because if I was 50 years old I wouldn't know anything about it. But ok if we are calling movies event for certain demographs then films like BATB were events for teensge girls and Bohemian Rhapsody for the older generation.

That is absolutely you twisting facts to suit your narrative. If you're not willing to consider Endgame an event level release, you're being deliberately obtuse. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SullyJake said:

TFA is the only event movie since Avatar 

But then we all have our own definitions of what is an event movie. I class an event movie as a film that manages to hijack all tv stations and news channels for weeks and gets people from all ages talking about it. This rules out anything Marvel including Endgame for me because hardly anyone over 50 knew or cared of it's existence. It just played very well with its target audience 

Good joke

19 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

That is absolutely you twisting facts to suit your narrative. If you're not willing to consider Endgame an event level release, you're being deliberately obtuse. 

Well Im from the UK where most Bond movies felt like bigger events than Endgame. No Way Home felt like a bigger event here than Endgame. Don't get upset, it's just an opinion

Adjusted for inflation, Toy story 2 &3 were bigger than Endgame here. Same with LOTR, Harry Potter, Mamma Mia, I could go on

Edited by SullyJake

1 minute ago, SullyJake said:

Well Im from the UK where most Bond movies felt like bigger events than Endgame. No Way Home felt like a bigger event here than Endgame. Don't get upset, it's just an opinion

As am I, no bond movie came close to what Endgame managed from Thursday to Sunday, that's an event. 

Just now, SullyJake said:

By that logic TFA wasn't an event for people in China or Asia in general.