Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

28 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Metacritc not even 70 even with the sheer spectacle and tech prowess is honestly pretty disappointing. This is being received like a well enough received MCU or DCEU flick. Good but nothing great. Worried about my box office expectations now. Absolutely lowering them. Feels mid AF with muted buzz.

Was gonna see this week now definitely waiting until January or Disney+. Maybe Cameron just got too old and doesn't have the magic these days? Critics certainly think so. Oh well, at least we got Puss and Boots. Pretty much same reviews. Maybe that'll deliver for the fam this holiday season and not leave our butts as numb with its reasonable running time.

What's the odd that this doesn't hit No Way Home DOM  even though NWH opened during HUGE Covid surge in US? Be funny if it doesn't hit those with 12+ year build up DOM and all the tech advancements... I'll go with 700ish DOM now. Just under TGM. Expected more. 

Assume everyone expects diminishing returns with each sequel based on the very mid reception from critics? Like Disney Star Wars all over again probably? Less and less and less and less with each assembly-line-tar?

JupiTAR Descending Way of the Mid.

On RT is almost in line with the first one tho. Blame the UK and the crazy guy from the SF Chronicle for the disappointing Metacritic score.

19 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Looking at ticket sales for my primary theatre vs Black Panther for Thursday to Sunday

IMAX: Avatar 11 showings - 3,143 tickets sold out of 4,576 available seats = 68.7%

IMAX: Black Panther 15 showings - 2,899 tickets sold out of 6,240 = 46.5%

ScreenX: Avatar 419 tickets sold - Black Panther 430 

Reg 3D: Avatar 249 - BP 298

Regular 2D: Avatar 39 - BP 1,187

the regular 2D sales for Avatar are practically non-existent

I expect this pattern to repeat for the other two theatres I'm tracking. 

Well you're comparing a 'do you fancy going to see AVATAR tonight sarah?' walk up film, vs a harcore comic book fanboy 'i must see this OW!' film. And a comic book film that is a sequel to a 700+mil film from 3 or 4 years ago.

All this shows is people are willing to wait for the good seats, and that legs will be very long.

Also its not like that everywhere, my local Vue for example is around 70% 2D and 30% 3D screens. I'm having to watch a 2D showing on Friday because of that.

Edited by stuart360

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Seriously though, what's the thinking? More or less admissions than No Way Home DOM? Given inflation, what would it need for more admissions? 850 or 900M?

Sticking to what i always said. -

750-800mil US

2.5Bil worldwide.

I DO believe it has a realistic shot at 3+Bil WW though.

There have been a lot of weird negativity the past day or so over a very good 84 RT score, but as far as i'm concerned nothing has changed yet, and we probably wont know long term prospects until after New Years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

750-800mil US

2.5Bil worldwide.

There have been a lot of weird negativity the past day or so over a very good 84 RT score, but as far as i'm concerned nothing has changed yet, and we probably wont know long term prospects until after New Years.

Yup. Reviews about as good as could be hoped. Can't wait to see the China OW.

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

750-800mil US

2.5Bil worldwide.

Negativity has little to do with the RT score (which came in right around - if maybe a tad lower - than I expected) and mostly to do with PS trend continuing to be rather weak+ bad walkups and not as great as expected reception in SK (also throwing in fairly weak japan PS so far) I'd say. Hopefully things will look better throughout the actual weekend frame in terms of walkups atleast.

7 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

750-800mil US

2.5Bil worldwide.

After seeing it I don’t think it would ever reach $3B. Not because the movie is weaker, but because it’s not a straightforward groundbreaking crowd pleaser like the first one. It’s a SW/TESB situation so to speak.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Negativity has little to do with the RT score (which came in right around - if maybe a tad lower - than I expected) and mostly to do with PS trend continuing to be rather weak+ bad walkups and not as great as expected reception in SK (also throwing in fairly weak japan PS so far) I'd say. Hopefully things will look better throughout the actual weekend frame in terms of walkups atleast.

Well people like to compare this film with comic book films, and its going to perform very different, especially OW.

My OW predicition from looong ago was 150mil, and its looking like its going to drop around that exact level.

My current OW predicition is 181mil, and yes its going to come in lower than that probably, but i'm just saying i had it at 150mil long before we had any tracking numbers etc.

Edited by stuart360

2 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

After seeing it I don’t think it would ever reach $3B. Not because the movie is weaker, but because it’s not a straightforward groundbreaking crowd pleaser like the first one. It’s a SW/TESB situation so to speak.

I imagine this is to be expected given there are 3 more coming. I do think with less build up each of the follow minus maybe the last will have diminishing returns DOM/OS. Still... I think 2.5 to 3 B WW is locked up for this one. People are itching for a MUST SEE IN THEATER experience right now I think. This is gonna be that.

27 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

See my post right after. Just joking around because people get so hung up on reviews on these boards. Reception is perfectly fine.

I know some peeps are really focusing on reviews, but I always was the type that just like to see the movie myself first and then some written and YouTube reviews for fun.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

lol

why is this movie of all things divisive (with critics and to a certain extent with audiences)

It's not divisive. Reviews are good and initial audience reception solid. Maybe it's below expectations if people were expecting the same adoration as the first, but that was always a tall order.

• Like 2