Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I thought this was funny, I was reading a Disney theme park forum and I found this post.

Disney is also counting on their new IPs, Avatar and Star Wars, also boosting their own attendance and cutting off the Universal parks growth. 

My hope as a fan of Disney is that neither of these do particularly well, which sounds pessimistic. But...
1) Star Wars already has a pretty decent presence in the parks, and I wonder if between Jedi Training Academy for kids, the Star Tours for families, and Star Wars Weekends for diehard fans, they've completely tapped out their possible guests who would come for Star Wars. They're also going to have to be VERY careful marketing this. Most people won't be paying enough attention to recognize that Star Wars land is a new land, as opposed to a weird upgrade. New Fantasy land failed as a marketing campaign, due in part to people not understanding what exactly was new or going on, and so did IoA when it first opened.

2) Avatar is not a strong enough IP to bring in crowds. It hasn't been spoken of in 5 years, it's not part of the cultural media narrative anymore. 

Edited by Jay Salahi

People cant stop posting bullshit. Now they come up with the cultural impact. So since avatar is forgotten, tell me why eeveryone is still comparing every new 3D movie with avatar? You cant open a thread without mentioning avatar, in bad or good way. After 4 years many movies are using the colorful style and cinematography from avatar in their movies (oz, carter, after earth, hottyd etc.) even the poster style. Tv stations are using the trailer soundtrack from avatar to promote their programs. If you talk about BO you are talking about avatar.

• Like 3

I think this is a point worth making:

You know what actually does deserve an essay? How AVATAR, the most successful film in history, has left nary a blip on pop-culture

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/08/05/avatar_sequels_three_no_one_cares_here_s_why.html

Titanic is a different beast, that was an impactful film that people still remember. But Avatar just wasn't.

why do people post crap like this?? Then you have idiots like Shpongle actually liking this crap lol.

Yes, Avatar has been forgotten. just like Titanic was after that was released and just like Avatar 2 will be after it completely destroys everything that year.

Geeks can't get over the fact that the human race were the xenomorphs in Avatar.

That is the big paradox of the movie, human race was mostly described as a parasite and people could not really identify with giant blue aliens.

It is true the movie didn't elicit a big fandom : the toy line for the movie was not succesful.

But the movie was so big it was definitely 4 quadrant, meaning that most people who saw the film don't even know what fandom means and entails.

I don't here anyone talk about Inception anymore, but If I was to say its been forgotten, Half the people on this site would have a meltdown and probably try hunting me down.

Hahaha, so true :)

Funny thing is, haters are far more obsessed with avatar than the fans. After 4 years they still commenting every avatar news. So if avatar is dead like they claim in every post, how does it come they are still dealing with avatar and dont let it go?

• Like 4

Ahhh, cultural impact discussions. They're always fun.

Personally I don't think there's any doubt that Avatar's box office far exceeded its cultural cache, but when you make the kind of money it doesn't really matter. As long as we're talking about 3D, Avatar will always be in the conversation. The problem is that we always talk about 3D negatively now, so perhaps Avatar took an indirect hit?

I don't here anyone talk about Inception anymore, but If I was to say its been forgotten, Half the people on this site would have a meltdown and probably try hunting me down.

See, Inception's the kind of film that I think was talked about at least as much as it was seen. But it's 3 years old, and in the frivolous world of the internet there's only so much you can say about a movie before a new distraction comes up.

• Like 1

I think this is a point worth making:

You know what actually does deserve an essay? How AVATAR, the most successful film in history, has left nary a blip on pop-culture

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/08/05/avatar_sequels_three_no_one_cares_here_s_why.html

Titanic is a different beast, that was an impactful film that people still remember. But Avatar just wasn't.

The title says "Why People Don’t Care About Avatar?"

But logic tells us that if one really does not care about something, he won't even consider spending time wring a long-ass artitle about it.

And I always find it amusing that some Titanic fans feel like adding some fuel to the fire burning on Avatar. "Not impactful" is once what Titanic was labeled as by those naysayers, and Titanic only got off it because Avatar took its crown. If you think those backlash on Titanic was not fair, you should stop doing the same to Avatar, because Avatar, objectively speaking, is practically another Titanic.

• Like 5

But the movie was so big it was definitely 4 quadrant, meaning that most people who saw the film don't even know what fandom means and entails.

You won't believe how much grown-ups women are into Avatar, especially those who were young in the seventies and were into Hippie/New Age shit or got a thing for oriental/transcendental meditation. Women are really spiritual so Avatar's pantheist-like spirit rang something that they love, some kind of energy-connecting spirit that gives meaning to all things and their existence in this world making all of them as one with nature.(Note to every jackal here that want to bag a cougar, it's that kind of fluff that can get them aroused like tantrism and allow you to get deeper connection, mind and body fluids :lol: ).  I'm not surprised they fell for that Eywa/Gaia thing. (I checked out some Facebook profiles of mature women in my contacts/relationships contacts and I was surprised to see an Avatar still popping up between pictures of sunset, rainbows, tigers, wolf howling over a pale moon and baby cats). I mean Avatar is a movie that made grandmothers check out a scifi movie in theaters!

I guess that's why butthurt geeks hate that movie so much, it got all that manchild stuff they fap over on a regular basis that got them their long-time juvenile reputation (dragons, aliens, ironclad semi-naked amazons, MMORPG fantasy universe, badass mechas, giant battle on alien planet, alien warriors, space marines and spaceships out of Halo) but Avatar made it too much popular and mainstream worldwide so they don't feel unique and above the mass loving that anymore.

So average geek male don't give a damn about Avatar. So what? Geek male crowd's word is a non-factor because otherwise the biggest box-office success of our decade would be Scott Pilgrim and Pacific Rim would have made a billion dollar by now.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

OK, quote something, tell me the names of the main characters without looking them up.

What are you trying to achieve?? I can't remember the characters names in Jurassic Park, Inception, E.T, Transformers (robots aside) or many other non-franchise/box office beasts, Doesn't mean to say I cant remember the films lol.

• Like 2

During 1994~1997, for three years, people did nothing except argued that Cameron could not do a love story and Titanic was the biggest cinematic disaster to come.

During 1997~2009, for 12 years, people did nothing except argued that Titanic was just an one-time hit and Cameron had been totally forgotten by GA.

During 2009~2016, for another 7 years, people once again are doing nothing except arguing that Avatar has been totally forgotten and GA dont care about a sequel. 

During 2016~2017, instead of talking about how successful Avatar 2 has been, people will be arguing that Avatar 2 successes just because it is the direct follow-up to the biggest movie in history and the curiosity wont be there for Avatar 3.

During 2017~2018, you would think they will quite for once. no they dont. People will be skipping Avatar 3 and arguing that a trilogy has already be enough, and a part 4 is totally unnecessary.

Post-2018, once again people will be doing nothing except arguing that the Avatar quadrilogy, despite being highest grossed franchise worldwide, has been totally forgotten and Cameron's next movie will flop because this time he is not making one called Titanic or Avatar.

• Like 13

Yeah, in their eyes, talking Avatar is not cool while talking Inception makes them sound smart.

• Like 5

Yeah, in their eyes, talking Avatar is not cool while talking Inception makes them sound smart.

You came very close to saying "Inception is a movie only dumb people think is smart", which is, ironically, a statement only dumb people think is smart.

You came very close to saying "Inception is a movie only dumb people think is smart", which is, ironically, a statement only dumb people think is smart.

If I remember correctly, Firedeep actually considers Inception to be the one of the best sci-fis in the last decade. So I'm sure that's not what he meant.

• Like 1