Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

The hero's journey/cycle is the most basic yet hardest thing to pull off perfectly.

We all love it. It's all ingrained in our minds.

Avatar did it perfectly. You don't make close to 3billion just for special effects. That assumption is childish and ridiculous.

Of course it's reasonable to be critical of the movie, and say something about the sequels in terms of potential BO. I myself think it will decrease etc.

But it's tiring to hear some people only talk about sfx = the reason for its success.

• Like 2

Why is 75% of this topic Superman0001 fanboying? Also, why do you call it Juggernaut?

I would hate to doubt Cameron, and it would be amazing if he could pull off biggest movie of all time 3 or 4 or 5 times in a row, but I just can't see it happening. Other record breaking movies are record breaking because they do something never before seen, or completely redefine a genre. Avatar 1, as many have already said, was sold on its groundbreaking and amazing VFX and usage of 3D, fully bringing the audience into the world of Pandora. The sequels have Avatar's and Cameron's goodwill going for them, but I doubt that they will offer something groundbreaking or redefining.

Speaking of the 3D, Avatar was the first movie in this 3D craze that we're going through. IIRC, without 3D, Avatar would sit around where TDK is, but that wasn't my math, so that could be wrong. The 3D thing is basically dead in North America, and by 2015, the rest of the world will probably be tired of it as well. As such, there will be a much smaller 3D share for Avatar 2, and thus, lower grosses.

Another thing worth mentioning that I haven't seen mentioned is pop culture. Despite being the biggest movie of all time, I don't see references to it in other media or pop culture like I see with other movies like Titanic, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Batman, etc. I almost feel as if the first movie just made a GIGANTIC splash and then just disappeared. 

Lastly, the gigantic sequel expansion rule. Almost all movies that have made more than 400m DOM adjusted never see their sequel improve upon it. Dead Man's Chest, The Twin Towers, Return of the King, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, and soon Catching Fire are the only exceptions to the rule, and even then, 400m is a lot easier to improve on than 750m. But like others have already said, biggest movies of all time have never seen their sequels increase either. OS, I see potential for this increasing due to overseas expansion since 2009, but probably not by much.

TLDR- Avatar 1 was a box office anomaly. To repeat that amount of success is extremely unlikely, if not impossible.

My prediction 3+ years out. 140 OW, 600 DOM, 1600 OS, 2200 WW.

• Like 1