Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

^^ To Neo... I put Hobbit 3 in the race, just because you never know if PJ will pull a LOTR 3 quality film that manages to pull in the fans who are missing from the LOTR fanbase. And if that happens Hobbit 3 is in the league of Avengers 2. Not likely but I think Hobbit 3 and Transformers IV are all potential Avengers 2 competition  because of their massive OS potential combined with domestic.

• Like 1

Yes, but no one around here will man up to it and admit that it does cause it's Lord Cameron..

I agree. Cameron is not god. The 7-year gap is definitely gonna hurt the sequel, just like how 12-year gap hurt the first one. Oh wait.....

• Like 1

We're not gonna retread this argument al over again for the umpteenth time, but unless Cameron has something better than his 3D for the sequel, it will perform no less than any standard sequel, with the exception of TA2..

I acutally agree with this post, with the exception of "with the exception of TA2.."

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

I agree. Cameron is not god. The 7-year gap is definitely gonna hurt the sequel, just like how 12-year gap hurt the first one. Oh wait.....

I'm not seeing your point here. The 12 year gap is irrelevant because Titanic and Avatar are too completely different films. The only similarity between the two is that they were both growers when it came to the audience turnout.

However, 7 years WILL hurt this film, as much as I don't want it to. People outside of forums generally tend to forget about film franchises or lose excitement about the next sequel if they take 5+ years to come out.

Edited by Noodlebug
  • Like 1

However, 7 years WILL hurt this film, as much as I don't want it to. People outside of forums generally tend to forget about film franchises or lose excitement about the next sequel if they take 5+ years to come out.

What about Terminator/Terminator 2?

• Like 2

I'm not seeing your point here. The 12 year gap is irrelevant because Titanic and Avatar are too completely different films. The only similarity between the two is that they were both growers when it came to the audience turnout.

Let's put it this way: Awareness is the biggest thing ever for sequels, in the rest of hollywood, but not for Cameron. This guy made the highest grossing film of all time with average to poor awareness, twice. Cameron made awareness his bitch.

• Like 2

What about Terminator/Terminator 2?

Well, T1 only grossed 38M. It certainly wasn't a huge film when it came out, therefore there wasn't much for the audience to forget.

The franchise wasn't going anywhere but up, especially considering that T2 was a masterpiece of a sequel.

• Like 1

I do expect them to decrease. That being said, the bar is already so far that even with a moderate decrease, they'll do just fine.

If it only does half of what the first one does, it'll still be a ginormous success.

• Like 2

For me personally, I haven't watched Avatar in over 3 years and I can't really remember anything about the movie.  Plus I haven't heard it being talked about around people I know which is way different from 2010 where my friends couldn't shut up about it.

• Like 2

For me personally, I haven't watched Avatar in over 3 years and I can't really remember anything about the movie.  Plus I haven't heard it being talked about around people I know which is way different from 2010 where my friends couldn't shut up about it.

Truth.

Avatar 2 will definitely be huge, but the thing that really knocked Avatar into the stratosphere was the 3D. I'm sure the sequel will be even more beautiful, but I'm not sure it will blow people's socks off as much as the first one. (Though you never want to underestimate Cameron.)

• Like 3

T2 came out how many years after T1? *scratching head* what about Aliens?

Toy Story 3

MI4 (5 years)

• Like 3

Actually, Josh Wheaton isn't the man behind Avengers.

I am not familiar with this guy, is he related to Wil Wheaton?

No he's this guy

Posted Image

Present-day college freshman and devout Christian, Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper), finds his faith challenged on his first day of Philosophy class by the dogmatic and argumentative Professor Radisson (Kevin Sorbo). Radisson begins class by informing students that they will need to disavow, in writing, the existence of God on that first day, or face a failing grade. As other students in the class begin scribbling the words “God Is Dead” on pieces of paper as instructed, Josh find himself at a crossroads, having to choose between his faith and his future. Josh offers a nervous refusal, provoking an irate reaction from his smug professor. Radisson assigns him a daunting task: if Josh will not admit that “God Is Dead,” he must prove God’s existence by presenting well-researched, intellectual arguments and evidence over the course of the semester, and engage Radisson in a head-to-head debate in front of the class. If Josh fails to convince his classmates of God’s existence, he will fail the course and hinder his lofty academic goals. With almost no one in his corner, Josh wonders if he can really fight for what he believes. Can he actually prove the existence of God? Wouldn’t it just be easier just to write “God Is Dead” and put the whole incident behind him? "God's Not Dead" weaves together multiple stories of faith, doubt and disbelief, culminating in a dramatic call to action. The film will educate, entertain, and inspire moviegoers to explore what they really believe about God, igniting important conversations and life-changing decisions.

How dare you speak the lords name in vain.

LOL Ceasar preach it baby.... You gotta love all these cats still talking mess. When Avengers with 3D 150-200+% more screens OS

and way more than Avatar even domestically cant come within 1.3 B of Avatar l/

Now Avatar 2 is getting  huge amount of screens domestcally and  OS..... The results can only be

Jaws will fall to the floor again :)

• Like 1

The AVENGERS is infinitely popular as hell right now and will have peaked with TA2, thus will end up making more than the 1st movie.. You watch.. This is going to be that Rare Exception and I will have called it.. Bookmark it..

TDKR peaked too and couldnt come back to the glory of TDK...So though its not likely, it could happen. Max I see is 1.4-1.6B WW

Still not enough BKB to beat SW7 much less come close to Avatars 2 likely 2.5-3B+ WW gross :)

• Like 1