Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Those articles are not wrong. Neither writer says Avatar is a bad movie, in fact they praise it. They're just pointing out the fact that, aside from afflicting us with every blockbuster (or wannabe blockbuster) being in 3D now, Avatar had next to zero effect on pop culture. All of the previous domestic champs either sold tons of merchandise or influenced the real world and countless other movies (or both, in the case of SW). Avatar did neither. It was just a good film in the right place at the right time. Even Titanic, which didn't really influence many other films (aside from Pearl Harbor), can be credited with Leomania and a resurgence of interest in both the ship and deep sea exploration in general. One thing is certain, the sequels will either push Avatar to a new level or just confirm that it was nothing more than a footnote - one of the last few original blockbusters before franchising took over completely.

But I think Avatar helped enlarge the market for 3d movies which has had a impact in cinema and home entertainment culture. There were news stories about people visiting similar mountains to the floating ones in avatar iirc too.

Titanic is based on a real disaster with real historical facts to explore or museums/artifacts, Avatar doesn't have that.

• Like 1

I remember BKB debating on-and-on with Kal about how Avatar has disappeared from pop-culture.

Well there are now articles written about just that.Five Years Ago, 'Avatar' Grossed $2.7 Billion But Left No Pop Culture Footprint

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/18/avatar-became-the-highest-grossing-film-of-all-time-while-leaving-no-pop-culture-footprint/

Back to Pandora: Why Has ‘Avatar’ Been Forgotten Just Five Years After Its Release?

http://screencrush.com/back-to-pandora-why-is-avatar-forgotten/

It hasn't been forgotten about, it just hasn't had permanent sequels being shoved down our throat every 2 years to keep people talking about it.

• Like 2

People just don't appreciate Stephen Lang. Everything he said is quotable.

As one of the articles mentioned, I remembered him saying 'you are not in Kansas anymore', but for obvious reasons I'm not sure that counts. Apart from that I'm drawing a blank, except for when he said 'you're gonna need a bigger space ship!' and 'I'll make the Na'vi an offer they can't refuse...'

Edited by Hatebox

Lot's of luck trying to convince Neo of this because for some reason or another, Neo seems to feel that if anyone has so much as a shred of negativity or is critical of a movie, he seems to feel it's TROLLING and as a result, he's basically a pacifist because of it..

I guess you didn't read the article and if you did wouldn't understand because you are so high up on Marvel. Why don't you leave this alone. Okay.

• Like 1

Well, it's true and I've said this at least 100X over, but the intro to REAL 3D Technology is what sold AVATAR.. The story could've been the most boring thing ever and moviegoers would've stilled turned out cause the Visuals more than made up for it's story and AVATAR 2 will probably be no different.. I grow tired of beating this into everyone's head, but whatever.. It just seems so obvious..

For growing tired you sure do it a lot when you are here. Whatever helps you sleep at night. What sold Avengers was the team aspect and being post the other movies. If it came out in 2008 would have been in the 400M/1B neighborhood.

• Like 2

Get 1 thing straight between you and I: I will go to any thread I want, post about it whenever I want and I sure as hell don't need your permission to do so.. Got it??? Good..

Big talk there, should I be scared? BTW said you do it a lot, didn't say you can't do it. BTW you sound like a broken record when you do. Well then I guess you are not growing tired then.

You know what you do a lot?? Annoy people.. Pat yourself on the back, your parents must be proud..

Annoy how? This last post was your mistake own up to it, like you never have and move on. Like I said you want to move on but can't.

Edited by Neo

I guess you didn't read the article and if you did wouldn't understand because you are so high up on Marvel. Why don't you leave this alone. Okay.

since we could beat the biggest marvel film by 1.8-2.7b. Bkb bud needs to definitely give it a rest. Even marvel fans say no marvel films will come within 1.5b of avatar 2. BKB really trying to compare a film where hundreds of people were on suicide watch or comitted suicide to a marvel films. Marvel makea great films, james films go beyond that and touch the soul

Annoy how? This last post was your mistake own up to it, like you never have and move on. Like I said you want to move in but can't.

bkb neo is right or are you in denial my friend. From hv to bo to merchandising vs camerons track record avengers falls flat. Still avengers and dis marvel brand are awesome

since we could beat the biggest marvel film by 1.8-2.7b. Bkb bud needs to definitely give it a rest. Even marvel fans say no marvel films will come within 1.5b of avatar 2. BKB really trying to compare a film where hundreds of people were on suicide watch or comitted suicide to a marvel films. Marvel makea great films, james films go beyond that and touch the soul

I know you support Avatar, but 2.7B that is to much. AOU will likely do 1.4B-1.7/8B while Avatar could be between 2.2B-2.9/3B that would be 800M-1.3B difference.

I know you support Avatar, but 2.7B that is to much. AOU will likely do 1.4B-1.7/8B while Avatar could be between 2.2B-2.9/3B that would be 800M-1.3B difference.

never underestimate james gd buddy. What yu say is true, but my 3.6b and others 4b+ are not off the table. You keep foegetting how much markets have expanded and james is god overseas and here

My pred 840,2.8b os

My thoughtS on its highend of the spectrum:

900-1B dom and 4.2b ww. So yes av2 gap could be well well over 2b above av. Avengers may even fall to 1.4b or less

• Like 1

Are you trying to insinuate that people were on suicide watch over a movie like AVATAR Kal??? If so, those people deserve to cash in the chips for attempting such a thing over a movie like this, hell, any movie PERIOD... No movie is worth attempting to take your life over, not even a MARVEL movie Kal, so I call bollox on that..

Lol yur late go back to early topics. Like i said avengers has ways to go to affect people like avatar did. Amazing but yep also insane. James is one of the top all time influential creators period. Incredible!

EQ9a6.gif

My opinio , Domestic decreases ( but still over 500M) while OS and Worldwide increase.

unlikely looking at sucides and james unmatched golden to to youngsters fan worship. I say same to increase dom and insane increase os. I think it will do avatar's ww run or better os. It will pass 500m in china alone and hit 200m in many countries. We will see james in all 3 alltime spots Ethan. Avatar is simply more than a film, its an experience and puts folks in a state of awe and spiritual befuddlemet!