Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 11/11/2015, 2:45:21, Cochofles said:

AVATAR was racist? LOL The things people detractors will make up just to belittle the film. Get over it, haters. AVATAR got great reviews, extraordinary word of mouth, Oscar love, and the biggest box office take ever. And no matter how much you want to believe that audiences hated the film and that they only liked the “shiny colors,” you don't even believe it yourself because facts don’t lie: it was a well-loved, well-reviewed smash that only a very vocal minority of internet fanboys hate. Bye. 

I am not saying ti was not loved but the film has lot of unjustice stereotypes and racism in it. 

Since the film opened to widespread critical acclaim three weeks ago, hundreds of blog posts, newspaper articles, tweets and YouTube videos have said things such as the film is "a fantasy about race told from the point of view of white people" and that it reinforces "the white Messiah fable."

source http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/10/avatar-critics-see-racist-theme_n_418155.html

Of couse the "white" character had to save the day. Not mention Avatar has a lot of stereotypes about Native Americans. If Avatar would have sterotyped Africa Americans, Mexicans, Asians, ect. It would have received criticism for it. 

Would have be fine if Avatar would had all the female be homebares and take care of children, clean, and 100% dependent on the male characters?

5 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I am not saying ti was not loved but the film has lot of unjustice stereotypes and racism in it. 

Since the film opened to widespread critical acclaim three weeks ago, hundreds of blog posts, newspaper articles, tweets and YouTube videos have said things such as the film is "a fantasy about race told from the point of view of white people" and that it reinforces "the white Messiah fable."

source http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/10/avatar-critics-see-racist-theme_n_418155.html

Of couse the "white" character had to save the day. Not mention Avatar has a lot of stereotypes about Native Americans. If Avatar would have sterotyped Africa Americans, Mexicans, Asians, ect. It would have received criticism for it. 

Would have be fine if Avatar would had all the female be homebares and take care of children, clean, and 100% dependent on the male characters?

Uh.... or it was being a little reminiscent of Pocahontas? White men come onto foreign land, that one guy falls in love with the native and then tries to help her and her village be rid of the outsiders?

2 hours ago, angeldelmito said:

The real question is: will Avatar 2 break the OW record for December after TFA?

Just like Titanic and Avatar, AVATAR 2's  victory over everyone else will be in its legs and multiplier. You bet your ass that AVATAR 2's domestic, international and global will outgross TFA.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Just like Titanic and Avatar, AVATAR 2's  victory over everyone else will be in its legs and multiplier. You bet your ass that AVATAR 2's domestic, international and global will outgross TFA.

Wait, you seriously think this will outgross TFA DOM? Because that won't happen. I'm sure this well do quite well DOM, and amazing OS, but this ain't beating TFA in NA.

13 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Wait, you seriously think this will outgross TFA DOM? Because that won't happen. I'm sure this well do quite well DOM, and amazing OS, but this ain't beating TFA in NA.

I think it is. We won't know until AVATAR 2 is released, but you'll see. Right know we are all drunk on the "OMG!!!TFA IS GOING TO BE A BEAST!!" wine, but at the end of the day, TFA ain't even outgrossing The Avengers in the USA.

Edited by Cochofles

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I think it is. We won't know until AVATAR 2 is released, but you'll see. Right know we are all drunk on the "OMG!!!TFA IS GOING TO BE A BEAST!!" wine, but at the end of the day, TFA ain't even outgrossing The Avengers in the USA.

Fair enough, we'll see in a few weeks. I don't think this will beat TA either way. I was thinking 300-400m, but then again, I really don't a read on this.

12 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Fair enough, we'll see in a few weeks. I don't think this will beat TA either way. I was thinking 300-400m, but then again, I really don't a read on this.

You truly think that AVATAR 2's domestic total is going to drop more than 50 % (or close to that) from the original? WTF? Why?

4 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

You truly think that AVATAR 2's domestic total is going to drop more than 50 % (or close to that) from the original? WTF? Why?

Just doesn't feel that big here. Avatar was very zeitgeisty, but it feels like it didn't leave a lasting impact, other than popularizing 3D. It was a must-see event due to the 3D, and I just can't see this film bringing anything that groundbreaking to the table. I don't have anything against the film, I enjoyed it. I fully admit that I could be wrong, this is one of the toughest movies to gauge the BO, ever. I may change my tune once we get a teaser and see the public's reaction to it.

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Avatar had those amazing holds just because of the 3D ?

Can't see that.

I didn't say that? It certainly helped though, a huge (main?) reason it was such an enormous hit was the 3D. It was truly groundbreaking, no one had ever seen it. It changed the industry and how we watch movies. The buzz for it was unbelievable, but much of the goodwill is mostly gone for whatever reason. This will still be huge, just less so than the first. The last one was so big this is hard to predict, and I admit I could be reading it wrong. I'm not gonna double down in a year and a half if I'm proven wrong.