Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

10 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=starwars4.htm

Lol at 302 from one run.  Know what your talking about.  Everyone considers the yr  vs superman a real release and sws lost lol.  Still made another 90m or so in 78 though.  Impressive but not as impressive as titanic or avtrs run and what films face in this era 

Adjusted, Kal. Adjusted. Geez man, actually bother to read what people post.

It was a single release too, it never left theaters for over a year, even if you consider the 7/21/78 expansion a separate release. I'm not sure why you're bringing SUPERMAN up, it has zero relevance to our conversation.

You are so full of shit, man. :lol: 

edit: let me explain just to make sure you get it. The only reason we brought up the SW adjusted run is you were spouting adjusted nonsense all over the place, using adjusted figures from TITANIC and AVATAR. So it's only fair and reasonable to point out that STAR WARS -- adjusted -- in its initial run from 5/23/77 to 7/20/78 -- blows both movies away.

If you want to switch back to the modern era argument and claim that non-theatrical competition (piracy, internet, home video, streaming, video games, etc) makes movie grosses more impressive now, then your adjusted claim is moot, and in fact makes what SW is doing right now even more impressive.

• Like 3

Telescope including the 78 re release thats 7 releases lol.  Titanic is king of Kings.  Avatars domestic run is more awesome because of competition and the snowstorms and that multiplier.  But force domestic run is pretty damned impressive.  Only Cameron has a shot at it.  This is very cool battle until we compare the os massacre of both avatar one and the force that will make some in here faint.  Lil Avatar made 2b is.  Son of Avatar in an expanded market and James Cameron mojo.  Shit might double that or come very close to doubling anyway.  Freaking fantastic 

Are there really  people in here who doubt James Cameron at this point.  Or you just have the hope of the hopeless that 55 plus million hv seller. Probably the most talked about event movie since titanic and pm.  And FB pages for the film having 49m up fans and thriving online communities have no meaning.  Lmao

I hope fox does another avatar day.  That sort of  promo is just legendary.  Who here went to avatar day before the film  in August 2009? I remember the cheers and looks of holy shit and wtfs and telling bom it's going to break titanic and it did.  Lol 

I feel thesame about avtr2, but this sequel feels much much much bigger.  Dec 18th- 25th 2017 get here soon.? I get numeral 100 and another loonies on superherohypes 300. He states that avatar 2 won't hit 2b ww lol.  Haha 

Edited by Kalel009Shel

18 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Telescope including the 78 re release thats 7 releases lol.  Titanic is king of Kings.  Avatars domestic run is more awesome because of competition and the snowstorms and that multiplier.  But force domestic run is pretty damned impressive.  Only Cameron has a shot at it.  This is very cool battle until we compare the os massacre of both avatar one and the force that will make some in here faint.  Lil Avatar made 2b is.  Son of Avatar in an expanded market and James Cameron mojo.  Shit might double that or come very close to doubling anyway.  Freaking fantastic 

Telescope :lol:

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

And. I. Am. Only. Counting. The. First. One.

Lol still not impressive as titanic and arguably even against Avatar. 

Ticket prices were so low you could see a movie  6 times for 8 bucks.  

No piracy period.  

No competion during first run in 77. 

No internet download or streaming piracy tele. 

Titanic and avtr are definitely bigger monsters. 

We still owe to sws for sound and visual breakthroughs.  Also  Walt Elias Disney who owned like over 100 patents for movie sound and visuals that every studio had to borrow .  Perhaps without films like 20000 leagues , jaws  as etc.  There would be no titanic or avatar.  So still gotta give ot and Disney their due. A moment of silence gents. 

Edited by Kalel009Shel

3 hours ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Leo and the movie hateful 8 will help hurt those legs.  Finally some competition.  Lol spent all that money and best jpw to the billion mark by only a day.  Let's see if china accepts sws on the same level of dinos

You realize both those movies are out online as screeners already right? They've been out for about a week now.

Usually that doesn't effect box office but sometimes it can. American Sniper was the difference due to it's subject matter and how badly middle america supported it. The audience for Hateful Eight are the ones who download screeners.

We'll see how they are effected but they aren't doing those numbers.

12 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

No competion during first run in 77. 

On the contrary, during its initial run from May '77 to July '78, Star Wars faced:

Grease - adjusted gross 642m

Superman - adjusted gross 478m

Smokey and the Bandit - adjusted gross 474m

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - adjusted gross 414m

The Goodbye Girl - adjusted gross 313m (astonishingly, this movie is absent from BOM's archives; the data is taken from The-Numbers and adjusted using BOM's yearly avg)

Jaws 2 - adjusted gross 305m

...and plenty of others in the 100-150m adjusted range. So, in fact, it had quite a bit more competition than either TITANIC or AVATAR (or FORCE, for that matter).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol can't crush avatar if it was rereleased multiple times silly goose and didn't face internet pirating online on the black market.  You'll have to come up with a better argument.  Another reason fanboys of  sws lose those nerd battles.  It's why titanic so run is so superior to everything including Avatar.  Titan faced competition,  pirating age on blk market and online.  And still made a 30x multi and 1billion plus os television in a market arguably over  700% smaller abroad in some areas.  As is a huge franchise but it's out of it so league when compared to titanic and avatar. If sws had faced pirating of today it would be a dead on arrival. 

Oh my god...it does face pirating. Do you research anything that you say?

A cam of The Force Awakens is a top torrent right now.

I'm waiting for the moment that Tele goes "Oh fvck it. I wont post in this thread. At least not a while. I could have spent all the time watching Jurassic World and telling my kid how much I loved it for christ's sake!"

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

On the contrary, during its initial run from May '77 to July '78, Star Wars faced:

Grease - adjusted gross 642m

Superman - adjusted gross 478m

Smokey and the Bandit - adjusted gross 474m

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - adjusted gross 414m

The Goodbye Girl - adjusted gross 313m (astonishingly, this movie is absent from BOM's archives; the data is taken from The-Numbers and adjusted using BOM's yearly avg)

Jaws 2 - adjusted gross 305m

...and plenty of others in the 100-150m adjusted range. So, in fact, it had quite a bit more competition than either TITANIC or AVATAR (or FORCE, for that matter).

Give it up Telemundo bud

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Doubt James Cameron?  Nope.  Not I.  But to think that Avatar will increase domestically over the first is really kind of silly.  

Well it's also silly to assume that an increasing is absolutely impossible. It's definitely not likely, but given it's Cameron who has an incredible history on requels and is now really taking the time to finish the work, we shouldn't rule out the possibility completely.