Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

10 minutes ago, K1Rey said:

No, mods and everyone here changed their sig and avatar to said movie because said movie is awesome and is making box office history.

And we're all nerds, really.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Don't forget Spain,  UK and Japan,  Australia.  Just look at the numbers in markets so small in 2009. Japan,  China, sk,uk Australia will give us almost 1.8b os all by themselves.  We should break Fast and bond in England.  China alone will hit 600 to 700 plus m. Now that is bo power 

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

And another thing, if it breaks Bond in England, it will still be behind TFA, which is going to be the record holder there.

• Like 4

Just now, 75live said:

uh oh, they are multiplying.  Don't people know the rules? don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight.  geez

:P 

Holy shit!!!!!  I was just thinking the same thing.  

• Like 1

Seriously though, why does anyone think it will increase (or even gross as much as the original) in Europe and NA? Exchange rates are shitty. Who knows if they'll get better by the time this comes out 2017 or not, but long term, they probably won't get too much better, at least assessing the state of the world's economy (especially compared to the US). That's not even taking into account Avatar 2 is going to sell nowhere near the amount of tickets the first one sold. Feel free to quote me in a few years if I'm wrong. I'll happily eat crow.

Asia is a whole other story, but it will likely need a massive increase there to challenge Avatar's WW #. It very well could, although it's extremely unlikely.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 75live said:

scary, isn't it? :P 

Surpised you don't have more Avatar fans on here to be honest, it's a higher quality film than TFA. From the lurking I've done when following SW7 box office I've only seen Kal (god bless) and a couple others hoping SW7 won't beat Avatar.

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Surpised you don't have more Avatar fans on here to be honest, it's a higher quality film than TFA. From the lurking I've done when following SW7 box office I've only seen Kal (god bless) and a couple others hoping SW7 won't beat Avatar.

It all matter of opinion. I find TFA to be a much better film than Avatar.  There are other users here beside Kal who thinks Avatar is better. Some users like Telemachos, Baumer, and Redfirebird like both films.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

It very well could, although it's extremely unlikely.

This is quite an erudite summation of many of the opinions of James Cameron's success in the past 20 years actually.

Then they end up getting blown out when he makes a 2 billion dollar behemoth that defies all previous data.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I think you misunderstand some of us.  Most of us think it will do extremely well, I do.  But the chances of it A) increasing from the first, especially in North America are about 0.000001% and B} Kal is nuts and he throws out numbers like 4 billion like they are easily attained.  

So it's not that we are not fans or think it will do poorly, it's just no one but kal and maybe his one friend Stripe, thinks it will do 3.5-4 billion.  

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

not sure why I was quoted in regards to this response, but I'll answer anyway :P

I don't cheer for any movie over another.  There is literally no point.  I don't get any of the money so I could care less what is first or second or whatever.  I just find crazy boxoffice performances fun to follow and to see what Star Wars is doing is exciting to me.  I like records getting beaten so if SW beats Avatar domestically, that would be cool to see.  Just like I was hoping the Patriots would go undefeated that year even though I dont' like them.  I just wanted to see an undefeated team in my lifetime since I wasn't alive when Miami did it.

But if for some crazy reason, SW doesn't beat Avatar domestically that is cool too.  Like I said, I don't root for movies to make more money than others, just experiences like what is happening now.

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

This is quite an erudite summation of many of the opinions of James Cameron's success in the past 20 years actually.

Then they end up getting blown out when he makes a 2 billion dollar behemoth that defies all previous data.

That's why I'm leaving the possibility open. It's going to lose a lot of the gross the 1st one made from NA/Europe/Australia. That's all I'm saying. It has to make up for it in Asia if it's going to out-gross Avatar. It's also not like it's a failure if it "only" makes $2B WW.

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

I think you misunderstand some of us.  Most of us think it will do extremely well, I do.  But the chances of it A) increasing from the first, especially in North America are about 0.000001% and B} Kal is nuts and he throws out numbers like 4 billion like they are easily attained.  

So it's not that we are not fans or think it will do poorly, it's just no one but kal and maybe his one friend Stripe, thinks it will do 3.5-4 billion.  

Of all films released what percentage would you estimate have made more than $2B?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

Of all films released what percentage would you estimate have made more than $2B?

There's only two right now in history.  So I have no idea what that percentage is.

4 minutes ago, 75live said:

not sure why I was quoted in regards to this response, but I'll answer anyway :P

I don't cheer for any movie over another.  There is literally no point.  I don't get any of the money so I could care less what is first or second or whatever.  I just find crazy boxoffice performances fun to follow and to see what Star Wars is doing is exciting to me.  I like records getting beaten so if SW beats Avatar domestically, that would be cool to see.  Just like I was hoping the Patriots would go undefeated that year even though I dont' like them.  I just wanted to see an undefeated team in my lifetime since I wasn't alive when Miami did it.

But if for some crazy reason, SW doesn't beat Avatar domestically that is cool too.  Like I said, I don't root for movies to make more money than others, just experiences like what is happening now.

fair enough, I want Avatar and Titanic to stay #1 and #2 because I treat WW box office numbers like titleship belt (which James Cameron owns).