Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

And then doubters will still say Avatar 3 will flop...

Well to be fair Avatar 2 is 100% guaranteed massive success. I mean it's the sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time and the first is at least pretty well liked among the general audience. There's no chance it can fail, anyone would be an utter fool in denial to say otherwise. Avatar 3 and 4 however...there's plenty of reasons why those could underperfrom and drop significantly form the first two. Of course the biggest reason being if Avatar 2 doesn't deliver and get good WOM no one will be clamoring for a sequel.And even if it does the likelihood that people even want another in the franchise will still start to diminish like all these huge series inevitably do after 2 or 3 movies. There's very few franchises that can maintain 4 or more movies on the same or similar level of success, because for the most part it's just unnecessary to continue a franchise after 2 or 3 films and people lose interest when it's unnecessary. Potter and Star Wars are probably the only franchises to have 4 or more films and all do on a similar level of success, and mainly because they were planned that way from the beginning.

I have no clue what Avatar 3 or 4 will gross, but we will likely see a significant drop for Avatar 2. I would be surprised if it makes 500M. I'm seeing 400-450M. The only reason Avatar made as much as it did was because of the novelty of 3D and the curiousity surrounding it. The curiousity is gone, which is why it will drop even if it is a superior film.

I have no clue what Avatar 3 or 4 will gross, but we will likely see a significant drop for Avatar 2. I would be surprised if it makes 500M. I'm seeing 400-450M. The only reason Avatar made as much as it did was because of the novelty of 3D and the curiousity surrounding it. The curiousity is gone, which is why it will drop even if it is a superior film.

I have no clue what The Avenders 2 or 3 will gross, but we will likely see a significant drop for TA2. I would be surprised if it makes 400M. I'm seeing 300-350M. The only reason TA made as much as it did was because of the curiousity(a SH team first time on the big screen) surrounding it. The curiousity is gone, which is why it will drop even if it is a superior film.

So Avatar 2 will make 400-450m but the hobbit will make 600m???With 3d and 2 more years of inflation, i fail to see how Avatar 2 would miss out on 500m.

I have no clue what The Hobbit 2 or 3 will gross, but we will likely see a significant drop for TH. I would be surprised if it makes 350M. I'm seeing 250-300M. The only reason ROTK made as much as it did was because of the curiousity(a powerful ring how to get destroyed on the big screen) surrounding it. The curiousity is gone and we know how all things end, which is why it will drop even if it is a superior film.

I see James Cameron will be serving another truckload of crow when Avatar 2 comes out.

Funny he served twice in a row already, and people still are lining up for it. Might just call him "the best crow cook" next time. Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

Abaddah was pretty well liked???You don't have that kind of cosmic legs for a well liked WOM. It was much bigger than that. I remember when people were laughing their asses off on OW for doing less than 80m... Look how that turned out.OS number easily outgrossed, albeit unadjusted, top WW grosses. I think he is way overrated but no one really should underestimate him anymore. He really is a king.

• Like 1

So Avatar 2 will make 400-450m but the hobbit will make 600m???With 3d and 2 more years of inflation, i fail to see how Avatar 2 would miss out on 500m.

Yes. I'm predicting that The Hobbit will have TPM type effect. People are longing to get back to middle earth.Avatar only reached great heights almost entirely because of the hype of the 3D. People pretty much know what to expect now, so only those who really loved the story will check out the second one. I know a lot of people that walked out of the theater talking about how awesome Avatar was, but today if you asked them about the film they would give a "meh" response. Avatar 2 will suffer because of it.

Yes. I'm predicting that The Hobbit will have TPM type effect. People are longing to get back to middle earth.

Avatar only reached great heights almost entirely because of the hype of the 3D. People pretty much know what to expect now, so only those who really loved the story will check out the second one. I know a lot of people that walked out of the theater talking about how awesome Avatar was, but today if you asked them about the film they would give a "meh" response. Avatar 2 will suffer because of it.

Posted Image
  • Like 1

Yes. I'm predicting that The Hobbit will have TPM type effect. People are longing to get back to middle earth.Avatar only reached great heights almost entirely because of the hype of the 3D. People pretty much know what to expect now, so only those who really loved the story will check out the second one. I know a lot of people that walked out of the theater talking about how awesome Avatar was, but today if you asked them about the film they would give a "meh" response. Avatar 2 will suffer because of it.

You don't what new technology Cameron will bring in, could it be 120 fps? Saying Avatar 2 will flop because it won't have the hype of 3D is kind of killing Avatar's 2 potential before it even starts.

I'd say 500m is locked for A2. That would already be a huge35% drop in gross, and I really don't see any scenario in which it can drop more than that. There's no such case of a first sequel to a huge blockbuster even coming close to dropping that bad. Any higher than that though will likely depend on WOM.