Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I love how people use Titanic to downplay Avatar, cause in terms of the general reception of the public, Avatar is pretty much the new Titanic.

I'm sure those same people badmouthed Titanic the same they now bashing Avatar. I remembered in 1998, most men deeply hated Titanic like Twilight today. It was so uncool and shameful for men to like it, "chick flick for pre-teens girls drooling over Leo", you know. Now, it's called a masterpiece and classic.(Back then, I waited 4 months after its release to catch it because as a young cocky male teenager I wouldn't be part of the hype, you know that kind of contrarian bias "I'm not a sheep" bullshit but I had to know what that fuss was all about. So one day in April, I went to see it in a full theaterand then as the picture rolled out, I did understand the appeal. Yeah, the end got me misty eyed and till then I'm not ashamed to say it.) Edited by dashrendar44

Titanic was deserving of its success in my opinion. Avatar was not

They both were. It's not like they were kidnapping people and forcing them to watch it in theaters. They managed to engage audiences all over the world, no matter what cultural or ethnic background. That's a worthy feat that no one in the modern 21st century era has managed to do.
  • Like 3

I think that's a great exaggeration. There was no Twilight level hate going on. Women and men went in great number, old and young.

I mean teenagers and twenty somethin' male demography, the same that haunt Imdb and Internet forums nowadays and think they're know-it-all movie experts. It was uncool for them to admit their love for Titanic. "Overrated" you know. Edited by dashrendar44

I mean teenagers and twenty somethin' male demography, the same that haunt Imdb and Internet forums nowadays and think they're know-it-all movie experts. It was uncool for them to admit their love for Titanic.

Yeah, but there's a difference. There was a small minrotiy of vocal critics who disliked Titanic, like Avatar, to a very high degree. Twilight though...every warm blooded male who has heard of Twilight knows it's the devil's work.

Give me that "cheesy flat CGI" everyday:

Posted Image

Nothing compares to this day and achieved that photo-realistic level in shapes, textures and movements. Avatar is one of few movies where CGI are better in broad daylight than nighttime. (The only contenders were Davey Jones and Gollum maybe).

3 years later, and still no film comes close to Avatar CGI.
  • Like 2

I love how people use Titanic to downplay Avatar, cause in terms of the general reception of the public, Avatar is pretty much the new Titanic.

The difference is that Titanic was a compelling story involving a very famous historical event.The backlash on Avatar happened because once the novelty of the incredible CGI and groundbreaking 3D died down, people realized it was a horrendously empty film carried by CGI, pretty colors, and action.They are in no way the same.

The difference is that Titanic was a compelling story involving a very famous historical event.

The backlash on Avatar happened because once the novelty of the incredible CGI and groundbreaking 3D died down, people realized it was a horrendously empty film carried by CGI, pretty colors, and action.

They are in no way the same.

Avatar had horrendously empty story ... biggest joke I have ever hear. hahaha. :rofl: :rofl:

What did TA/TDKR/Hobbit have ? No story at all ?

• Like 1

The difference is that Titanic was a compelling story involving a very famous historical event.

The backlash on Avatar happened because once the novelty of the incredible CGI and groundbreaking 3D died down, people realized it was a horrendously empty film carried by CGI, pretty colors, and action.

They are in no way the same.

This sounds really familiar. Yeah that's exactly the same as Titanic haters said: "Taking out the groundbreaking CGI, it was an empty and terribly-written film carried by teen girls' crush on Leo."

Objectively, they are pretty much the same whether subjectively you prefer one or another. An original film that most thought would be a flop, a chick flick that became the highest grossing film of all time. Out-of-the-world WOM and crazy legs at the boxoffice. Pretty much the same score on RT (Titanic used to be 83% before the re-release). A lot of nominations and wins in the award season (Titanic won more of cause.) A lot of backlash, mainly from young males. I mean, seriously, how often you find two films this similar?

• Like 1