Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3D had been done, but never to such a prolific degree in living memory - and not from the director of the biggest film of all time up until then. I can only speak for myself and those I know personally when I say the lure of the format (which subsequently disappointed me) was the only reason we saw it, but I'm also not naive enough to think the film made that much because of 3D alone. Cameron's a good, populist storyteller.

I know but other great directors have had their chance and there is still no live-action movie that has the detail avatar has to make the 3D that great. I just bought a 3d TV and I've bough a lot of 3D blue-rays and so far the only live action movies that seem to have extraordinary 3D are Avatar and Sanctum. I have Prometheus & TF3 and as good as they are, it still doesn't compare to what Cameron gave us. And you are right to be fair, there was a huge chunk of people who went to see it for 3D alone but that's means they still had a great time. Had movies like AIW, COTT etc etc.. not taken advantage of 3D by doing a shitty convert job and actually had 3D Avatar good, people may not be as sick of the format as they are now. Bad 3D has given 3D a bad name, not 3D itself.
  • Like 1

Take away the 3D $$ boost and AVATAR still made around $600m or so.

I calculate that with its 80% domestic 3D share Avatar would have made around $590m once you take out the 3D surcharge. Still impressive, but definitely the lowest attendance for any movie that has ever claimed the number one all-time spot. Of course, you also have to factor in that some people only went to see the film just because the WOM on the 3D was so good, which boosted its gross even further. AiW is probably the only other blockbuster that had some of the audience see it just because it was 3D (and promptly killed that trend). That's why I think expecting a JP: TLW type drop for A2 domestically is sensible (both are sequels to movies that relied on groundbreaking visuals more than their plot or characters). WW, Avatar won't drop that much, though, if at all. Edited by Darth Homer
  • Like 1

I calculate that with its 80% domestic 3D share Avatar would have made around $590m once you take out the 3D surcharge. Still impressive, but definitely the lowest attendance for any movie that has ever claimed the number one all-time spot. Of course, you also have to factor in that some people only went to see the film just because the WOM on the 3D was so good, which boosted its gross even further. AiW is probably the only other blockbuster that had some of the audience see it just because it was 3D (and promptly killed that trend). That's why I think expecting a JP: TLW type drop for A2 domestically is sensible (both are sequels to movies that relied on groundbreaking visuals more than their plot or characters). WW, Avatar won't drop that much, though, if at all.

If people thought the movie was bad, then they wouldn't recommend their friends going to see this 2 and a half hour movie just for the 3D alone.
  • Like 1

Having seen TH in HFR I hope Cameron won`t be deterred by mixed-to-negative reception because HFR is perfect for Avatar. CGI creatures really pop out in a way they never before, and the depth of scenes is incredible. And since Avatar doesn`t have to worry about prosthetics, elaborate costumes and wigs, it won`t look like a stage play,which I didn`t mind in TH - it`s different but it isn`t off-putting at least not to me.

• Like 1

Having seen TH in HFR I hope Cameron won`t be deterred by mixed-to-negative reception because HFR is perfect for Avatar. CGI creatures really pop out in a way they never before, and the depth of scenes is incredible. And since Avatar doesn`t have to worry about prosthetics, elaborate costumes and wigs, it won`t look like a stage play,which I didn`t mind in TH - it`s different but it isn`t off-putting at least not to me.

So do you recommend it?

I calculate that with its 80% domestic 3D share Avatar would have made around $590m once you take out the 3D surcharge. Still impressive, but definitely the lowest attendance for any movie that has ever claimed the number one all-time spot. Of course, you also have to factor in that some people only went to see the film just because the WOM on the 3D was so good, which boosted its gross even further. AiW is probably the only other blockbuster that had some of the audience see it just because it was 3D (and promptly killed that trend). That's why I think expecting a JP: TLW type drop for A2 domestically is sensible (both are sequels to movies that relied on groundbreaking visuals more than their plot or characters). WW, Avatar won't drop that much, though, if at all.

3D might have been part of the draw, but not all of it. Avatar sold more 2D blu-rays in a week than TDK did in 18 months, so the movie itself had some appeal...
  • Like 1

If A2 is good, I think it will do amazing. I think TLW performed at the level it did because it wasn't a very good film (IMO).
  • Like 1