grim22

Weekend #s on Pg 34. Divergent 56M. Muppets 16.5M. Peabody 11.7M, 302 8.6M, Gods not dead 8.5M

Fair enough but... I'm a Christian, and I don't buy into schmaltzy Christian films very easily.

Indeed. Unfortunately most of them are crap. Rarely do the spiritual sect get something like The Passion or Noah. 

• Like 2

Critics know what their getting when they go to see the movie. So I guess, they didn't decide to review it.

I'm actually interested if the technical and acting quality of it is good or not (as in, it's a well made propaganda movie), but then again half the people that review it will review whether or not they agree with its message, not its actual film quality.  (Whether that be good or bad)

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

How come there isn't even one review for God's Not Dead yet?

I know Variety has one and I've read a couple from some Christian sites (can't remember the names)Biggest problem, among others, seems to be a terrible lack of nuance. Anybody who is not a believer is vilified or turned into a caricature while Christians are depicted as the only ones who act with love and compassion, etc.

I'm actually interested if the technical and acting quality of it is good or not (as in, it's a well made propaganda movie), but then again half the people that review it will review whether or not they agree with its message, not its actual film quality.  (Whether that be good or bad)

That's understandable, but it seems if you've watched one of these low budget Christian movies, you've seen them all. That's just my opinion though.

Edited by Fancyarcher

Holy crap, I missed the Oblivion discussion.

Somehow, that was my favorite movie of last year! Just about every single little aspect of it just worked for me. Though I'll admit, I'm a sucker for sci-fi, just got back from a 24-hour marathon last weekend.

(We watched Earth vs The Flying Saucer, The Quiet Earth, Metroplis (newly restored version!!!!), Delicatessen, Infra-Man, Akira (after loving it for decades, my first time seeing it on a big screen, beautiful!), The Hidden, Repo Man (I had never seen this before, but I want to see it again now, loved it), The Running Man, Dredd, and Escape From New York.)

Favorite part of Oblivion was "StarWaves". I'm a sucker for M83.

Preach it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZGNQ2v9DA4

• Like 3

Saw Divergent. It was 85 percent full. After seeing the film I gotta saw get that money! I don't know why it got 40% by the critics. It could be for them like 65 or 70 but eh whatever.I liked it. Gave it a B(8/10). It would have gotten a 10 with Theo fione piece ass. Lord Jesus that boy...hmmm literally true story every time he came on all the girl were giggling and hollering. There was a scene were four said something romantic to tris us girls went all tingling some brother said give me break he ain't all that. The crowd started laughing. It was fun crowd. mostly full of guys.!i was shock.Hope there is a sequel. I wanna know what happens next. I ain't reading no book.

Edited by Dragon
  • Like 7

Saw Divergent. It was 85 percent full. After see the film I gotta saw get that money! I don't know why it got 40% by the critics. It could be for them like 65 or 70 but eh whatever.I liked it. Gave it a B(8/10). It would have gotten a 10 with Theo fione piece ass. Lord Jesus that boy...hmmm literally true story every time he came on all the girl were giggling and hollering. There was a scene were four said something romantic to tris us girls went all tingling some brother said give me break he ain't all that. The crowd started laughing. It was fun crowd. mostly full of guys.!i was shock.Hope there is a sequel. I wanna know what happens next. I ain't read no book.

Wow I can't wait for watch.

• Like 1

Saw Divergent. It was 85 percent full. After see the film I gotta saw get that money! I don't know why it got 40% by the critics. It could be for them like 65 or 70 but eh whatever.I liked it. Gave it a B(8/10). It would have gotten a 10 with Theo fione piece ass. Lord Jesus that boy...hmmm literally true story every time he came on all the girl were giggling and hollering. There was a scene were four said something romantic to tris us girls went all tingling some brother said give me break he ain't all that. The crowd started laughing. It was fun crowd. mostly full of guys.!i was shock.Hope there is a sequel. I wanna know what happens next. I ain't read no book.

hmmm...I was contemplating on seeing it on the big screen just so i can stare at theo

• Like 2

I think the Saturday numbers are going to be really good.  The fact that many of the audience members are males and people over 30 years old is very promising.  And the ticket sales on Movietickets.com still have Divergent at 40% right now - so it must have been crushing Muppets on Saturday.

last update from Deadline

UPDATED, Saturday, 10:47 PM: It looks like Divergent is on the high-end of estimates as it held much better than expected on Saturday night (-14%) for Lionsgate taking in around $19.7M. It’s 3-day estimate is now looking at around $55.4M. Disney’s Muppets Most Wanted is on the low end of earlier estimates to take in $17M for the 3-day after nabbing $7.3M Saturday (+57%). Third and fourth spots go to Fox/DreamWorks Animation’s Mr. Peabody and Sherman and Warner Bros./Legendary Pictures’ 300: Rise of an Empire, respectively. Peabody is expected to gross $12M tonight after pulling in another $5.5M while 300 is estimated to have grossed $3.6M for a higher 3-day of $8.4M. And God’s Not Dead now looks like an $8.3M weekend after a roughly 13% bump Saturday night for an estimated gross of $3.1M. Will update again in the AM and will have more complete numbers and positions then.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/ Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

UPDATED, Saturday, 10:47 PM: It looks like Divergentis on the high-end of estimates as it held much better than expected on Saturday night (-14%) for Lionsgate taking in around $19.7M. It’s 3-day estimate is now looking at around $55.4M. Disney’s Muppets Most Wanted is on the low end of earlier estimates to take in $17M for the 3-day after nabbing $7.3M Saturday (+57%). Third and fourth spots go to Fox/DreamWorks Animation’s Mr. Peabody and Sherman and Warner Bros./Legendary Pictures’300: Rise of an Empire, respectively. Peabody is expected to gross $12M tonight after pulling in another $5.5M while 300 is estimated to have grossed $3.6M for a higher 3-day of $8.4M.  And God’s Not Dead now looks like an $8.3M weekend after a roughly 13% bump Saturday night for an estimated gross of $3.1M. Will update again in the AM and will have more complete numbers and positions then.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/divergent-weekend-box-office-muppets-most-wanted/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 2

And God’s Not Dead now looks like an $8.3M weekend after a roughly 13% bump Saturday night for an estimated gross of $3.1M.

Holy Smokes, 8.3M is really impressive for 780 theaters. If it would've had the same theater count as Muppets (3194) it MIGHT have actually beaten Muppets for the weekend. Wow!

• Like 1

Impressive Saurday for Divergent. Ayone was expecing less than a 15% drop?

I wasn't expecting it to drop too much from Friday. I get the impression it plays well with a younger school-age crowd, so of course Saturday is going to be a better movie-going day for the kids.

• Like 1