MovieGuyKyle17

Thursday Numbers: Noah $1.6m

The dark epic Darren Aronofsky filmNoah got off to a good start domestically last night in late nights that started at 7 p.m. taking in an estimated $1.6M for Paramount and New Regency. Also, word is from distributors that the early matinees in N.Y. look good. The opening of Noah doesn’t reflect the numbers or the group sales that Son of God had for Fox. That faith-based pic surprised everyone last month when it took in $1.2M from shows that began at 10 p.m. So, in other words, Noah is opening more like a mainstream studio movie, which is not surprising given that it stars Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly. The demo on the picture is definitely skewing older and the studio is comparing it to Gravity, noting that Noah is playing just above it — Gravity made $1.4M in late nights. Noah already opened overseas in Mexico (where the Catholic faith is prominent) and Korea to a combined $14M. The movie grossed $8.3M at 500 dates for the No. 1 spot in Korea, 14% ahead of Gravityand 37% ahead of Skyfall’s 2012 bow.Russia and Australia have just opened in tandem with this weekend’s domestic debut. Tracking has it anywhere between $40M and $45M for the 3-day domestically but others have it in the high 30s, so after more grosses come in tonight, everyone will have a better estimate. Divergent (LGF) is expected to come in second in the low 20s at the moment for Summit, depending on its second weekend percentage drop. It has taken in $68.7M to date (as of today). Meanwhile, the Arnold Schwarzenegger-starring Sabotage from Open Road Films is going to be in a battle with The Grand Budapest Hotel for third place this weekend as Budapest Hotel expands after a stellar three weeks in limited release. The Wes Anderson pic is already at $15.6M as of today and early estimates has it taking in around $9M this weekend for Fox Searchlight. Jason Bateman’s Bad Words also expands this weekend from Focus Features. Also opening is Cesar Chavez from Pantelion (a partnership between Lionsgate and Grupo Televisa). Participant Media is helping to support advertising efforts for Pantelion.

Noah 1.6m Late shows. Not bad

Edited by Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum

This movie is going to underperform - only 33 million OW.  Conservatives on talk radio are bashing the movie.  Advertising a movie "from the director of Black Swan" is probably not a smart way to market a mainstream movie being released in March.

Edited by Ando918
  • Like 2

This movie is going to underperform - only 35 million OW.  Conservatives on talk radio are bashing the movie.  Advertising a movie "from the director of Black Swan" is probably not a smart way to market a mainstream movie being released in March.

The conservatives need to go away. 

I have hope that this will hit $40m. How are sellouts now in the East Coast?

The conservatives need to go away. 

I have hope that this will hit $40m. How are sellouts now in the East Coast?

I'm not a fan of most conservatives either, nor am I a fan of talk radio.  I'm just being honest in that that is a huge chunk of the film's audience.  There just aren't a whole lot of Jewish people in the U.S. to fill up seats in movie theaters and watch an Old Testament story.