RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers (3/28 - 3/30) Noah 44M Divergent 26.5

I never knew Colin and Meg had a movie together but it'skinda cool to have him play her son :D I miss the old Meg Ryan. I hope she gets a good project soon whether on film or TV.

If you're in the US with cable/dish, ABC Family is showing Harry Potter movies all day, TNT the LotR trilogy. But right now I have something on with Colin Hanks and Meg Ryan in a fat suit? My Mom's New Boyfriend:

It's kind of amazing, how many A-list careers devolve into direct-to-DVD hell while others make the transition to TV.

Eh! As stupid as that movie looks and sounds, there have been plenty of actors who have had a movie or two go straight to DVD. It doesn't necessarily mean that their making a career out of it. It just means that a movie that was originally intended to be released in theaters, ended up on DVD instead for one reason or another.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

I liked Divergent and I'm looking forward to the next one.  I too enjoyed Vampire Academy.  Interesting though, why does Divergent succeed where so many fail?

I think the books is just more popular than the other YA adaptations plus they really marketed this well plus they casted some good veteran actors here Kate Winslet, Ashley Judd, Tony Goldwyn so it appealed to non-book fans as well.

I liked Divergent and I'm looking forward to the next one. I too enjoyed Vampire Academy. Interesting though, why does Divergent succeed where so many fail?

Really really good positioning. As soon as Vampire Academy flopped, Lionsgate started running a twitter campaign to unite all YA fandoms - they made Divergent the last hope for YA. This of course was timed with tickets going on sale, so the VA, TMI, Beautiful Creatures, Twilight etc. fans bought advance tickets keeping Divergent in the news.Then tracking numbers came out and were widely reported as well. And finally, the reviews were not damning due to the movie itself being made competently.This was a masterful display of grassroots marketing and continuous follow up. Lionsgate saw their opening following prior disappointments and had a concentrated effort in the 30 days leading up to release.
  • Like 1

So why did Sabotage bomb so hard?

It didn't look that bad.

But "not looking that bad" doesn't get butts into move theaters, especially with the high prices now.  Maybe people will catch it on netflix but it probably just didn't appeal strongly enough to enough people.

Eh! As stupid as that movie looks and sounds, there have been plenty of actors who have had a movie or two go straight to DVD. It doesn't necessarily mean that their making a career out of it. It just means that a movie that was originally intended to be released in theaters, ended up on DVD instead for one reason or another.

Sometimes movies just don't come together even if they have a good director, a worthy script and big name actors.

• Like 1

Sometimes movies just don't come together even if they have a good director, a worthy script and big name actors.

This is true.

A movie can be shelved though because a studio went under, like with what happened with Cabin in the Woods.

Then again, Hollywood has never really been about "quality" necessarily.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

This is true.

A movie can be shelved though because a studio went under, like with what happened with Cabin in the Woods.

Then again, Hollywood has never really been about "quality" necessarily.

One of David O Russell's movies (the one he was directing before The Fighter) is sitting on a shelf somewhere about 80% complete. It will never be completed nor released.

One of David O Russell's movies (the one he was directing before The Fighter) is sitting on a shelf somewhere about 80% complete. It will never be completed nor released.

O. Russell himself wants nothing to do with Nailed, even though their are plans to release it.

Funny how stuff like that works.

O. Russell himself wants nothing to do with Nailed, even though their are plans to release it.

Funny how stuff like that works.

Then there was the James Cameron classic, Piranha 2:The Spawning

• Like 1

Off topic. See profit and loss of top 16 of 2013. 

<script type="text/javascript" src="//e.issuu.com/embed.js" async="true"></script>

I can't believe that using my logic, (the one that i asked here like ten days of so ago if i was kind of right or stupidly wrong), i was extremely close to those results. A 10M variable at most...!

The only one that i didn't get the same numbers was WWZ, cos i had the budget wrong.

• Like 1