Dementeleus

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | Guy Ritchie | May 12, 2017 | Charlie Hunnam

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well, it is a remake of their own movie...

Sure, which was Disneyfied to begin with. :)  In terms of TFA, that was a Lucasfilm production through and through. Sure Disney ultimately had to sign off, but they weren't the creative team. 

40 minutes ago, Macleod said:

This is sounding more and more suspiciously like Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves...including the drab, colorless costumes, and (presumably, possibly) flamboyantly evil king character. 

That could work, I believe Charlie Hunnam is pretty good at an American accent.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Macleod said:

This is sounding more and more suspiciously like Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves...including the drab, colorless costumes, and (presumably, possibly) flamboyantly evil king character. 

Sans the awesome Brian Adams song, of course.

5 hours ago, The Futurist said:

I am not sure Excalibur'81 was low budget at all for its time.

The armors are magnificent, lots of action sequences, make up, costumes ...

Boorman is master.  Still a damn shame we never got his LOTR.  It was mid budget - $11m.    Raiders the same year was $20m, Clash Of The Titans $15m, Canon Ball Run $18m, Chariots Of Fire $5.5m.  Moonraker two years before that was $35m and Heaven's Gate which bankrupted a studio $44m.

As for "realistic" re-imaginings, this can't possibly be more boring and lunk headed than Scott's Robin Hood.  Ugh

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Bryan Cogman is supposed to write it and he's done some mighty fine Game of Thrones work. So I have some hope. Besides Disney will for sure play up the fantasy, which already makes it more interesting to me than this film. 

All these Game of Thrones people are flopping after they try to branch out, doesn't matter what department they're coming from :kitschjob:

"Legend of the Sword?"  Isn't Nintendo the first thing most people thing of nowadays when there is a "Legend of" title?  That might not have been the best choice for a subtitle there.

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It'd be nice if we actually got a big budget mythological fantasy fueled take on Arthurian legend, aka the one people actually find interesting. These History Channel more "realistic" takes of the past two Arthur movies are boring as fuck. 

It's probably something most have completely forgotten existed, but if you wanted something really different, well, there is King Arthur and the Knights of Justice.  Making a movie based off that would definitely not be a History Channel type movie.  After reading the plot for that cartoon, would that sound like a more interesting premise than the previous King Arthur movies or this one?

1 minute ago, Outrageous! said:

"Legend of the Sword?"  Isn't Nintendo the first thing most people thing of nowadays when there is a "Legend of" title?  That might not have been the best choice for a subtitle there.

It's probably something most have completely forgotten existed, but if you wanted something really different, well, there is King Arthur and the Knights of Justice.  Making a movie based off that would definitely not be a History Channel type movie.  After reading the plot for that cartoon, would that sound like a more interesting premise than the previous King Arthur movies or this one?

Judging by how literally no one has brought up Nintendo during "The Legend of Tarzan", I would have to say the answer is a resounding no.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Judging by how literally no one has brought up Nintendo during "The Legend of Tarzan", I would have to say the answer is a resounding no.

Okay, fine then.  I guess I just dislike the generic subtitle.

Edited by Outrageous!

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

I loved Robin Hood Prince of Theives. Alan Rickman crushed it in that role! 

I've lost my interest in these more grounded, realistic, gritty takes on the KA tale. Give me something big, grand and fantastical with swords and sorcery. 

31 minutes ago, James said:

So people are agains a LOTR-like gritty adapatation of Arthur's legend...

No, that's basically exactly what people want, if you take "gritty" to mean, well, like LOTR: rooted in realism, despite fantastic events. Not so much if "gritty" means a more contemporary "historical" story which gets away from the mythology of it. 

At its heart, Arthurian legend is a potent mix of pagan and Christian mythology. When you throw all that out (along with the medieval fantasy about the nobility of knights), you're left with some scraps of vague historical evidence (unsatisfying, honestly), or a really, really loose version where names are plundered in service for what's essentially a brand-new myth told through a 21st-century perspective... which is what we're getting this time, apparently. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

I loved Robin Hood Prince of Theives. Alan Rickman crushed it in that role! 

I've lost my interest in these more grounded, realistic, gritty takes on the KA tale. Give me something big, grand and fantastical with swords and sorcery. 

Wrong role...I'm talking about the King, not the Sheriff.  ;-)

Rickman was always great, of course.

Edited by Macleod

8 hours ago, James said:

So people are agains a LOTR-like gritty adapatation of Arthur's legend, but at the same time they don't want a Disney-like lighter thing? What do you people want?!!

Something with it's own identity and not a blatant cash-in on other movies?

• Like 2