Dementeleus

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | Guy Ritchie | May 12, 2017 | Charlie Hunnam

1 hour ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Speaking of Wheel of Time, that's supposed to receive a television series as well.

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

Not holding any hope at all for a Wheel of Time TV series. I don't think it gets made because the source material is way too unwieldy but even if it does they'll end up making it very generic. 

Pretty sure right now the TV rights to Wheel of Time were until recently held by some no-name entity. In fact said entity rushed out a insanely stiff and low-key micro-budget half-hour "pilot episode" about 2 years just so they could try to reset the rights period.

Hey look it's Billy Zane.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Pretty sure right now the TV rights to Wheel of Time awere until recently held by some no-name entity. In fact said entity rushed out a insanely stiff and low-key micro-budget half-hour "pilot episode" the other year just so they could reset the rights period.

Hey look it's Billy Zane.

Hahaha, right, I had almost forgotten that! What a horrible piece of crap and what a low move.

It's been solved though:

http://geekandsundry.com/the-wheel-of-time-is-officially-coming-to-television/

But I still have no faith in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

Hahaha, right, I had almost forgotten that! What a horrible piece of crap and what a low move.

It's been solved though:

http://geekandsundry.com/the-wheel-of-time-is-officially-coming-to-television/

But I still have no faith in it.

The three big problems with adapting the Wheel of Time for TV are:

Budget. The books get progressively more insane with setpieces (aside from the one book where literally nothing happens other than people have conversations and travel slowly on horseback).

Story explosion. The plot and characters expand outward in all directions, and it will take effort and skill to prune some of the characters and plotlines back to have a more efficient visual plan. Plus how you split the 14 books up into seasons also begs the question.

Gender Politics. There's some stuff that's problematic for TV because it's Robert Jordan using reverse sexism to highlight real world misogyny but most TV audiences won't get that. And then there's some stuff that is even more problematic that is Jordan indulging in classic male romantic power fantasy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The three big problems with adapting the Wheel of Time for TV are:

Budget. The books get progressively more insane with setpieces (aside from the one book where literally nothing happens other than people have conversations and travel slowly on horseback).

Story explosion. The plot and characters expand outward in all directions, and it will take effort and skill to prune some of the characters and plotlines back to have a more efficient visual plan. Plus how you split the 14 books up into seasons also begs the question.

Gender Politics. There's some stuff that's problematic for TV because it's Robert Jordan using reverse sexism to highlight real world misogyny but most TV audiences won't get that. And then there's some stuff that is even more problematic that is Jordan indulging in classic male romantic power fantasy.

Only one book has literally nothing but talking happening? Sometimes it felt like half the books were like that and I haven't even read the last 3 books!

But yeah, all you've said is true but specially the part about dividing the material up and then streamlining it. How the hell do you even begin doing that? I just don't see how anyone is capable of pulling it off satisfactorily.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Wrong people attached to the projects, I believe. A truly lack of vision, I don't know. At least we have Game of Thrones and Vikings. 

Speaking of Game of Thrones, I hope Tolkien's The Children of Hurin gets made one day.  Game of Thrones fans will like it because its an epic Dark Fantasy featuring incest, gore, torture, the tragic fate of a family over the course of an epic struggle, a morally ambiguous dwarf, lots and lots of grey morality, and an all powerful evil encroaching from the North with a serious downer of an ending.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Only one book has literally nothing but talking happening? Sometimes it felt like half the books were like that and I haven't even read the last 3 books!

But yeah, all you've said is true but specially the part about dividing the material up and then streamlining it. How the hell do you even begin doing that? I just don't see how anyone is capable of pulling it off satisfactorily.

The final three books actually do a pretty good job of pulling everything together for the massive finale and resolve most of the major plot and character issues.

But the final book is impossible to do on a TV budget. Hell, probably impossible on a standard blockbuster budget. Which is not unexpected when the centerpiece of the final book is a 190-page chapter that is non-stop epic fantasy war battling (though really, the entire final book is non-stop warfare with some truly insane setpieces).

Edited by 4815162342

7 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The final three books actually do a pretty good job of pulling everything together for the massive finale and resolve most of the major plot and character issues.

But the final book is impossible to do on a TV budget. Hell, probably impossible on a standard blockbuster budget. Which is not unexpected when the centerpiece of the final book is a 190-page chapter that is non-stop epic fantasy war battling (though really, the entire final book is non-stop warfare with some truly insane setpieces).

Now I really wanna read it. In fact I've been flirting with going back to finishing these books on and off for years specially since Brandon Sanderson became my second favorite modern fantasy writer after Robin Hobb but the problem is that I don't remember many of the details of the story at all and to catch up I'd probably have to read all 11 books again and... Yeah, that's just too daunting.

But yeah, going back to the topic at hand, I actually am really curious about this King Arthur movie, I'll probably watch it on OW and no, I have no faith in a WOT TV series.

The Name of the Wind though...

Edited by Arlborn

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Speaking of Game of Thrones, I hope Tolkien's The Children of Hurin gets made one day.  Game of Thrones fans will like it because its an epic Dark Fantasy featuring incest, gore, torture, the tragic fate of a family over the course of an epic struggle, a morally ambiguous dwarf, lots and lots of grey morality, and an all powerful evil encroaching from the North with a serious downer of an ending.

Well, if happy PG-13 fantasy goes nowhere in terms of BO, maybe darker, rated-R, fantasy will take the wheel. 

• Like 1

In regards to Wheel of Time, it's a major gamble to put so much behind an attempt, but hey, so was Game of Thrones. 

A Robin Hobb movie would be pretty easy to make, imo. 

Looking at what's popular these days at the box office, I think Dragonlance would be a pretty successful trilogy. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

In regards to Wheel of Time, it's a major gamble to put so much behind an attempt, but hey, so was Game of Thrones. 

A Robin Hobb movie would be pretty easy to make, imo. 

Looking at what's popular these days at the box office, I think Dragonlance would be a pretty successful trilogy. 

I know, right? They should just get to it already, I'd love seeing the Fool come alive...

I do think stuff like The Seventh Son flopping recently has made studios less likely to greenlight movies based on fantasy books like that and decide that TV shows is where it's at and Game of Thrones probably proves their point to their own mind. Well, I suppose Shannara is doing okay too as a TV show. A bit cheesier than I'd like but at least it has an audience.

I wonder if this King Arthur movie doing well might encourage more executives to try to put one of those big epics on the big screen? I suppose not as this is already a very well established name in popular culture but one can dream...

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I know, right? They should just get to it already, I'd love seeing the Fool come alive...

I do think stuff like The Seventh Son flopping recently has made studios less likely to greenlight movies based on fantasy books like that and decide that TV shows is where it's at and Game of Thrones probably proves their point to their own mind. Well, I suppose Shannara is doing okay too as a TV show. A bit cheesier than I'd like but at least it has an audience.

I wonder if this King Arthur movie doing well might encourage more executives to try to put one of those big epics on the big screen? I suppose not as this is already a very well established name in popular culture but one can dream...

I think Arthur has to do exceptionally well, and I don't think that's going to happen. WB doesn't seem too confident putting it between GotG and Aliens. WB's Dungeons and Dragons has also stalled. Lionsgate and Kvothe will just have to save the genre.

6 hours ago, Stormagden said:

Who spends 100m on a movie to only to sacrifice it in an attempt to counter-program GOTG 2. I'm sure with a less competitive release date (August) and some advertisingand promotion it could break even.

Don't overestimate the competence of certain WB executives... Especially the Kevin guy...in case you need more evidence. http://www.slashfilm.com/geostorm-reshoots/

4 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I own that book, now I will have to actually read it. also I liked the last trailer, this movie is going to bomb so hard though :(

3 minutes ago, Charism said:

Great trailer. Great editing, great use of great music.
Buuuut... movie itself is not looking very interesting and wide appealing. I will definitely see this, but I'm affraind.. no, I'm sure, that almost nobody else will see this in theaters.

It looks like it could be good. I might see it if reviews are good, but people lobe trashing WB's movies for some reason.