Plain Old Tele

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | Guy Ritchie | May 12, 2017 | Charlie Hunnam

2 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

That's what I don't get. Who takes a movie out of its no competition slot and goes "Yup, Guardians of the Galaxy week 2 would be better!".

I asked that question when they moved up Alien Covenant, even though it's not opening GOTG2 week 2. It's just now in a month with more big blockbuster competition.

FYI, King Arthur was set to open against Power Rangers in March so it wasn't no competition before.

Edited by Jay Beezy

7 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

I asked that question when they moved up Alien Covenant, even though it's not opening GOTG2 week 2. It's just now in a month with more big blockbuster competition.

FYI, King Arthur was set to open against Power Rangers in March so it wasn't no competition before.

Oh I thought it was supposed to be in August. Must have mixed it up with something else.

4 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Oh I thought it was supposed to be in August. Must have mixed it up with something else.

It was one of Warner Bros. many date shifts in the wake of Alien Covenant moving up to May. They moved CHiPs to King Arthur's old March date from August, moved Annabelle 2 to CHiPs old August date from May, and moved King Arthur to the May date.

8 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

It was one of Warner Bros. many date shifts in the wake of Alien Covenant moving up to May. They moved CHiPs to King Arthur's old March date from August, moved Annabelle 2 to CHiPs old August date from May, and moved King Arthur to the May date.

They practically fed King Arthur to the wolves 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Who spends 100m on a movie to only to sacrifice it in an attempt to counter-program GOTG 2. I'm sure with a less competitive release date (August) and some advertisingand promotion it could break even.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stormagden said:

Who spends 100m on a movie to only to sacrifice it in an attempt to counter-program GOTG 2. I'm sure with a less competitive release date (August) and some advertisingand promotion it could break even.

It happens all the time. Remember when WB suddenly delayed Jupiter Ascending from its original July opening to February just a month before it was supposed to open? Given this was shot in early 2015 with July 2016 release date in mind, chances are high the studio is ready to take a write-off on it.

Yikes. I hope the ladies show up to see Arthur shirtless, because this doesn't look very good at all. With this eventually doing poorly and World of Warcraft doing poorly last year and Seventh Son being a bomb a few years ago, I hope studios don't give up on Sword & Sorcery. I was really hoping to see Lionsgate "Name of the Wind" and a WB "Dungeons and Dragons". 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Yikes. I hope the ladies show up to see Arthur shirtless, because this doesn't look very good at all. With this eventually doing poorly and World of Warcraft doing poorly last year and Seventh Son being a bomb a few years ago, I hope studios don't give up on Sword & Sorcery. I was really hoping to see Lionsgate "Name of the Wind" and a WB "Dungeons and Dragons". 

I think my poor heart would give out if that one happened.

Keeping my hopes low...

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

I think my poor heart would give out if that one happened.

Keeping my hopes low...

When Name of the Wind finally gets developed, it won't be as good as the book, since the movies are never as good as the book. However, I think it'll have very strong appeal and I'm hoping for Hunger Games/Twilight type success. I mean, it's basically Harry Potter meets Wheel of Time. Speaking of Wheel of Time, that's supposed to receive a television series as well.

2 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

When Name of the Wind finally gets developed, it won't be as good as the book, since the movies are never as good as the book. However, I think it'll have very strong appeal and I'm hoping for Hunger Games/Twilight type success. I mean, it's basically Harry Potter meets Wheel of Time. Speaking of Wheel of Time, that's supposed to receive a television series as well.

Not holding any hope at all for a Wheel of Time TV series. I don't think it gets made because the source material is way too unwieldy but even if it does they'll end up making it very generic. But Name of the Wind? Yeah, full hype there.