Plain Old Tele

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | Guy Ritchie | May 12, 2017 | Charlie Hunnam

Um well that was a trailer, I guess. Movie looks like it'll be a big flop.

On 3/16/2017 at 11:10 AM, Jonwo said:

The Disney version of Sword in the Stone is good but it hasn't aged well. 

Well it was made during the xerox Disney animated era, so the animation isn't stunning (there's a lot of recycling too), and the story has too much of a "lesson" vibe to it. The sword duel sequence is fun to watch, though.

This can't bomb. Disappoint yes, but bomb no 

According to The-Numbers.com and Forbes Magazine the budget is only $102 million. This for sure will at least break-even when you factor overseas in the equation. 

• Like 2

This is King Arthur we're talking about here. The story of King Arthur is a classic story, familiar to many. Camelot, The Knights of the Round Table, The Sword in the Stone, all of these things are referenced in many other works and many different places. With a budget like $102 million, I do not think this will flop.

• Like 2

King Arthur is I think the fist fictional blockbuster English book (when they did a English traduction of the french story that had a love story in it), not so long after the invention of printing, that make it a strong franchise in a way, but also one that was already told so many time.

King Arthur movies are not necessarily an automatic commercial success, and it is not surprising that the studios went for a very non-classic approach with it, in their director pick:

There is stuff made pretty much every year, but in term of major or semi-major release:

1984 - Excalibur did really well, 35 million domestic.

1995 - First Knight (, Richard Gere, Sean Connery vehicule) did 127.6 million on a 55 million budget.

2004 - Fuqua King Arthur did flop, doing only 51 million domestic, 203 million WW on a 120 million budget.

2007 - Last Legion did 25 million, (6 million domestic as a Weinstein release)

I think going in a hilarious/over the top/non serious way with it could be a good decision financially, that type of direction seem to often work recently (Jurassic world, fast and furious, etc....)

Edited by Barnack

On 2.4.2017 at 1:16 AM, UTJeff said:

Even if this is a huge bomb, I still really want to see this.  It might be the closest thing I ever get to a big budget He-man movie.

Is He-Man ever going to leave development hell? :(