baumer

The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014)

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Is anyone else up for a romantic comedy starring Garfield and Stone? I sure am :D

Going into this movie I had said that i would like it if they gave me good characters and relationships. I knew the action, the CG and all that stuff will probably be up to par so I just wanted to see some humanity and I'm glad to say I did. The relationship between Peter and Gwen is probably the best out of all these superhero movies. It is miles better than what we got in the original trilogy and that one would still probably rank #2. Well, you'd expect that from the guy who made one of the best romantic movies in recent memory. The way their scenes were filmed was brilliant and it's a shame there aren't more of them. Stone and Garfield are the definition of chemistry (probably because they're doing it in real life :lol:) and the way they build their relationship is great. Unfortunately, I knew what happens to Gwen in the comics but I hoped she wouldn't die yet and in one moment, as she was falling, I thought he had saved her but was then shocked when I heard the crack. Definitely one of the most shocking scenes in these movies recently. The funeral and how Webb showed the passage of time was really beautiful and I'd call that the best scene of the movie.

Now from the best to the not best parts :D

Ironic that the best scene is one of the few which chose to take a breath instead of trying to push a huge plot forward all the time. Seriously, have they not learned from SM3 - keep it simple. All the background conspiracy stuff, all the corporate stuff and all the villains really take too much space and the movie feels like a chore at times. I'm sure half of those could have been cut and we wouldn't feel the difference.

Too bad DeHaan had to go through most of those scenes because he really stands out from the rest of the cast. This guy's a star and I like his Harry more than Franco's (though he had his (so good) moments too). Foxx plays Electro well although he's quite under-developed. Giamatti hams it up as much as he can but he has little screen time so I won't judge him yet. Chris Cooper feels wasted but I have a feeling Norman isn't dead but we'll see.

Now to some tidbits I saw people complaining about.

First, Electro. I understand how his behavior might seem weird but it looks to me that that is the kind of thing that was taken straight out of a comic book. (I have never read any Spider Man but it felt like it) And I understand him to a point. He's a brilliant guy who was never appreciated or even noticed: of course he would talk to himself like that and of course he would go mad when he gets all that power. He should have had more time for development but that's another story.

The ending. This was not DoS ending (I loved that one too). It's obvious Spidey will defeat The Rhino and we won't see any of that in the next movie. It was only done to announce the villain team up that's gearing up. It's just stupid that they had the last shot in the trailer but what can you do (not watch the trailer :D). Anyway, I loved the ending. The way that kid stepped out was really inspirational and then Spidey appearing behind him was touching. I admit, I shed a couple of tears there.

With that said, I also loved how they showed how much Spidey cares about the civilians and how much he helped them. That was also a strength of the originals and I'm glad they kept that in this series too.

All in all, this is a really fun Spidey movie with good to great performances, great romance, amazing action and a rushed plot.

8/10 (a bit better than the first one)

And does anyone else feel like some people don't want to give this a chance for some reason? (same with the first one)

• Like 2

How.? I read he cracks her neck?

I'm not sure. She falls but is caught just above the ground by Spidey web. You can't tell for sure whether her head hit the ground, part of the clock mechanism hit her head or her neck was broken by the whiplash of being caught. She's motionless until a trickle of blood comes out of her nose.

Basically, its a silly scene cause they had to tone it down for the PG-13 rating 

Also, since she just bumps her head instead of getting splattered they might as well should've done 'the final words' scene which would be rather in the tone of the movie but they wasted that opportunity too 

• Like 1

It looks like they filmed some alternate endings including the one where Harry snaps Gwen's neck and then Peter goes crazy on him and almost kills him but they had to change it due to the rating. I'm not sure if I would have liked that more but the way that Goblin is knocked out is quite stupid. Also, some lines from the trailers are noticeably missing (kudos for that) like when Harry says that Oscorp is surveiling Peter and many lines of Norman's like "not everyone has a happy ending"I think that with less studio interference these movies could have been great instead of simply good. Webb clearly is a competent director and if they had just let him explore the romance side of things, we would be talking about this similarly to how CA2 is a spy thriller or GOTG a space opera instead of a superhero movie. But Webb being a director with no pull, he ended up being a mere puppet to the studio :(

• Like 3

which city are you from darkelf ? 

btw pozdrav  :)

wow, hadn't realized there was anyone from this part of world here :D I'm from Zadar :)

Well, not to be completely off topic, what was up with that credit scene?? Talk about tonally inconsistent. It actually made me less excited about whatever that movie was it was promoting :rolleyes:

Hey I've been to Zadar only briefly though but still its a beautiful city ... though it was kinda dead but I guess that was to be expected since it was not a tourist season  :)

As for the after credits scene can't help you with that sorry since I saw a cam version on my computer (refused to pay it for it in the theater ) but since that scene was a part of this movie's unneccessesary existence I can only imagine it being as bad as the rest of it

• Like 1

Basically, its a silly scene cause they had to tone it down for the PG-13 rating 

Also, since she just bumps her head instead of getting splattered they might as well should've done 'the final words' scene which would be rather in the tone of the movie but they wasted that opportunity too 

No she never hits the floor thats a misconception......Her spine breaks from the wiplash. There iss no blood at the back of her head Crusasder.. Just like the comic a human body cannot handle the force of the whiplash. Though the movie is so unrealistic, I dont even think they made the fall high enough for that to be a realistic believable outcome.

The whole movie felt lame.... Im glad most agree, this one deserves to flop...Its now the worst of all SM films by far. some folks on other forums not even giving this POS a C( I give it a C- to D-F for some parts--And Im a huge SM fan)

Way too much cornynesss as well and waist of great talent.

• Like 1

wow, hadn't realized there was anyone from this part of world here :D I'm from Zadar :) Well, not to be completely off topic, what was up with that credit scene?? Talk about tonally inconsistent. It actually made me less excited about whatever that movie was it was promoting :rolleyes:

Marc Webb was contractually obliged to direct another film for Fox after 500 days. So that he could direct TASM2 Sony agreed with Fox to promote X-Men DOFP and get him out of the contract. Hence we get the totally out of place Mistique sequence.
  • Like 3

Marc Webb was contractually obliged to direct another film for Fox after 500 days. So that he could direct TASM2 Sony agreed with Fox to promote X-Men DOFP and get him out of the contract. Hence we get the totally out of place Mistique sequence.

I knew that and was looking forward to the scene but it was total garbage in the end. I've seen better directing in a toothpaste commercial :D

Edited by darkelf
  • Like 1

The more I think about it Gwen's death was poorly done. The spider web should have caught one of the clock gears and Gwen should have gone splat. Not a gory splat just a tasteful PG13 splat. And what the fuck is Ozcorp still using blueprints for?

• Like 1

It looks like they filmed some alternate endings including the one where Harry snaps Gwen's neck and then Peter goes crazy on him and almost kills him but they had to change it due to the rating. I'm not sure if I would have liked that more but the way that Goblin is knocked out is quite stupid.Also, some lines from the trailers are noticeably missing (kudos for that) like when Harry says that Oscorp is surveiling Peter and many lines of Norman's like "not everyone has a happy ending"I think that with less studio interference these movies could have been great instead of simply good. Webb clearly is a competent director and if they had just let him explore the romance side of things, we would be talking about this similarly to how CA2 is a spy thriller or GOTG a space opera instead of a superhero movie. But Webb being a director with no pull, he ended up being a mere puppet to the studio :(

Yeah they didnt even show Goblin attacking OsCorp...

where do i begin. Mixed bag of feelings here. to summarize:

Gwen and Peter were great. Good love story. Probably the best element of the movie. 

Electro...was ok but what was the point. Like really? what was his end game?

Harry Osborn. Seemed to be shoe horned in. I didnt believe that they used to be best friends or even knew each other. Seemed kinda forced. Also looked as though the studio wanted to make it different from the previous movies in that Harry becomes the goblin. I suspect Norman is still alive though and is the true green goblin saved for the future series. 

rhino...oscar nominee huh? Could have fooled me.

Most annoying character was that Dr Kafka. Like WTF. Dude had lip stick and spoke in that corny accent. Seemed like some tranny dominatrix. Hell no, get the fuck out of this movie. Pure cheese. should have kept the character as a female. Best not make him Doc Ock.

As for the special effects...Sony cant do CGi or any sort of effects for shit man. Imageworks needs to close down. Weta or ILM is the way to go.

The directing and editing was pretty weak. Movie seemed all over the place and at times too fast. Too much happening...though half that stuff didnt even seem relevant. 

Music was fine. I love Zimmer but i preferred Horners score from the first movie.

The action was cool though, pity it looked pretty fake.

As for the end scene showing Gwens fate. WOW! that was the best scene in the movie. Extremely well directed and heart breaking. Been waiting for Gwens death to happen since the first movie but was extremely sad because Emma portrayed her so well. Powerful stuff and Peters reaction was spot on. That is when Spiderman should be crying (glares at Tobey Maguire...). Also the plane scene with his parents was pretty emotional too. 

Another good scene was the end with the kid going out and Spidey turning up. Pretty inspiring if not stupid from the kid lol. 

I will have to watch it again on Blu Ray to see if it goes up or down. But for now i'll give it a C+. Weakest of the Spiderman movies. 

Edited by Omario
  • Like 4

First time in ages I have not enjoyed a film at the cinema. The story was ridiculous, people became evil because that was what their character was supposed to do and the whole thing felt like it was just a build up for the next installment. That sometimes can be fine, but not when the previous film was pretty much all build up to a next installment.And the thing with rhino at the end reminded me of the end of the Incredibles, just having a random bad guy turn up at the end and end on a fight.It really annoys me that I will probably see part 3 when its out too even though nothing here makes me really want to.

• Like 3

This movie is complete fucking garbage. Never mind the fact I hated the first one, I didn't expect much out of this forced sequel. The Amazing Spiderman 2 is THE definition of why a movie sequel should take 3 years to get released instead of 2. It wouldn't have mattered with this shit-show.This movie was obviously rushed into production so Sony could bankroll off their only real moneymaker now with Fast and Furious being put on the sidelines. The Narrative structure of the movie was complete shit. There was so much going on. Aunt May becoming a nurse, Jamie Foxx's character becoming electro, Peter Parker's Cheers-ish romance ripoff with Gwen Stacy, Gwen Stacy going to London for School, Norman Osborn dying and Harry becoming CEO of Oscorp, Stuff with Peter Parker's parents, and Harry becoming the Green Goblin. The editing and writing was helter skelter. There were even parts of the trailer I was waiting to see, they were edited out of the movie. I still wonder why Shailene Woodley's parts were edited out. She would have been a fine Mary Jane. She was the BEST part of Divergent. She's a perfectly capable actress.

Movie was so choppy. The Villains were very cartoon-ish. Electro reminded me too much of Mr Freeze from Batman and Robin, and The Riddler from Batman Forever. Never a good thing. The producers of this movie didn't learn their lessons with Spiderman 3! Too Many Villains! Dane Dehaan was fine as Harry Osborn, but he didn't get much to work with! Seemed like his transition to Green Goblin happened to quickly. Seemed very Venom-ish from Spiderman 3. Don't even get me started on Paul Giamatti. I'm glad he was only in the movie for a few minutes. He was so campy and over-the-top. From the trailers, I expected a good fight between the Rhino and Spiderman. Their showdown from the trailer is the very last shot in the movie. Very shitty marketing by Sony.

Which leads me to...What gives with the shitty marketing? They marketed stuff which wasn't even in the movie. Not to mention the fight between Rhino and Spiderman was the final part of the movie. I didn't expect the marketing to give that away. They also gave away Gwen Stacy's death in one of the TV spot. Figures, they would kill the character who is actually somewhat likable. Too bad they made everyone else completely Unlikable! Spiderman portrayed by Andrew Garfield is an unlikable twat. You don't care for him, even after the death of Gwen Stacy. Congrats Mark Webb, you butchered one of the most well-known superheroes.

I HATED this movie, Sony hasn't learned their lessons since Spiderman 3. They remade 2 shitty movies which I give the same rating as Spider-man 3. I am not an anti-Spiderman guy. I loved the first two Spiderman movies, I am just sick of Sony continuing to butcher the lore and make shitty movies. No more The Amazing Spiderman sequels please. 

This movie gets an F. 1/5.

Edited by FilmBuff
  • Like 3