baumer

The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014)

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I found it harder to root for Peter this time. When he's either being too much of a douche or he keeps not speaking his mind, I just didn't find him likable.

I guess that's why iJack relates to this version so much. :P

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 7

In spoilers because its kind of long, but these are my views. The first third was okay while the middle was what in the hell is going on and the last third was oh this is nice, especially the last 15 minutes. Gave it a B.

Peter and Gwen. Stone and Garfield NAIL it. I loved them and I'm glad they date in real life, it shows. It sucks this is it for Emma. Garfield, Stone, Dehaan, and Field were all great. No one ever talks about Sally, but she always gives off a warm presence and I love her Aunt May. Dehaan brought the helplessness and the menace and I loved it. He wowed in Chronicle and wowed here. Jamie Foxx was alright. It's not his fault, he wasn't really given much. For what he had to work with, I think he did a good job.The action was pretty exciting. I think it had the best action in any Spiderman movie. I was satisfied with all the battles and I've never seen anything like the powerplant battle in a Spiderman movie before. Yes we all know the glorious SM2 train scene, but Raimi's and TASM action generally felt very choreographed. Here, they made good use of the web shooters and made it more thrilling, rather than just doing a bunch of flips and punches. The way Spiderman and Electro/Goblin fought was just impressive.The final 15 minutes. I knew the moment was coming up and my chest started pounding and i became unconsciously nervous. I choked up twice and struggled to keep a tear from falling. Once during Gwens death and again when that little boy stands up to Rhino. IDK why, it just hit me. I thought the final 15 was very well done and I felt very emotionally connected, which is probably why I nearly cried. I havent felt that feeling in a theater since Gravity. The swinging was insane. With the Raimi movies, the swinging felt restricted and again choreographed. I like how they do the mechanics here and make him move more like a spider. Its not just shoot and swing anymore, he literally ballets in the sky.I actually enjoyed the subplot with his parents. The whole secret lab in a lair was a little "bruh, really?", but I mean I enjoyed hearing Campbell's reasoning so I didn't care. Electro was underused, but I liked how he was used. Being able to travel through sockets and what not was cool. I think Goblin was introduced at the right time, even though it seems he got on that glider and flew off pretty fast after going Wolfman. Since he'll be a big player in TASM3, introducing him for the final battle IMO was the right move. Rhino/Alexi was fun. He was supposed to be camp and I enjoyed it.But...That 2nd act was a trainwreck. Other than the Times Square battle and Peter and Gwen's scenes, nothing stood out. It was VERY convoluted. Why was BJ Novak in this? Why was Felicity Jones in this? Why was Martin Csokas in this? Why did we give Colm Feore so much attention? Why was that agent guy in this that kept chasing Gwen? Yes I know, to set up the sequels and make subplots, but really after their first scenes they didn't really contribute anything. I swear BJ Novak had like 2 minutes of screen time, so why was he in it to begin with? If you want him in TASM3, just give him 2 extra minutes in TASM3. It was revealed who Felicity is, but nothing was done with it. Csokas was weird. And then Harry and Norman was introduced as well. I was like "bruhhhh, gahdamn, a mass group text is less complicated than this." All the screen time wasted on these lesser people could have been given to Electro and Harry seriously.Electro really needed more development and you needed to feel more sympathy for him. Even Rhino could have been taken out of the beginning and that time could have been used to set up Max Dillon, who was pretty interesting. Also Electro shouldve been yellow. IDK, I just didn't get the blue. I love Jamie Foxx so I was dissapointed to see how his role was handled.That whole plane collision sequence also didn't make sense. I know youre trying to add in tension and urgency, but why shoehorn in two jumbo jets (the plane in Non Stop looked better). Spiderman didn't even know about these planes. That couldve been cut. And no shaky cam dammit! Nearly took me out of the private jet scene.The dialogue was choppy at times, but it wasn't as bad as yall make it. The CGI was pretty obvious at times and looked a little rubbery, but I'm not a big whiner about CGI and I payed more attention to the action so I didn't really care. The only CGI that kept bugging me was Electro's electricity and those two planes. A little bit of camp humor that couldve been cut. Like when Electro picked up Csokas and placed him in his Electro-chair. That was very cringe-inducing.The movie just could've been pretty straight-forward and streamlined. There was like 12 subplots and 3 went anywhere. Also I was indifferent on the score. I liked all the subtle scenes, but did not like the dubstep and inner monologues. The TS dubstep was alright, but again I was tired of hearing the inner monologues. It was innovative, but out of place. I honestly wish they would have kept Horner. And the credits song actually isn't that bad. IDK maybe I'm bias, Kendrick is my favorite and Alisha is my wife so.Basically the movie has script issues and identity issues - tonal shifts, tonal shifts everywhere, but the action was top notch, the acting was great, and the last 15 minutes were phenomenal. I knew Gwen was going to die, but I didn't how it was going to happen, I though she was gonna be surprised stabbed so when she hit the ground my heart sank. Seeing Peter hold her and sulk made me hold my gf a little tighter. I held it in, but it was hard. Then when the kid stood in front of Rhino it all came flooding back. I was not expecting this movie (or any comic book movie) to bring me to that emotional level, but it did and I had to reward it for that. Act 1 - B, Act 2 - C, Act 3 - A-. I give it a solid B, which is good for me. Cap 2 was more thrilling, but TASM2 was more entertaining. As a fan of the character, I was pleased and it wasn't a huge disaster everyone was making me fear. Fuck the RT score, I enjoyed it, my gf really did, and online talk is good so I don't care. I enjoyed this and Cap 2 more than IM3, Thor 2, and MOS, so so far its been a good year for CBM's for me. TASM3 will be really interesting.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

Like the last film this film feels uncompleted and incoherent. There is to many story lines happening in this film. First off the whole Gwen and peter relationship is on and off again the whole time in the film. Harry Osborn was unnecessary in this film, Harry was rushed in this film. They could have used  him in the third film as the villain. There is no connection that Harry and Peter are friends. They could have ended with Harry finding he is dying at the end of film. The whole parent storyline should have been used in the first film Uncle Ben storyline has been dropped. Aunt May keeps bring him up and Peter does not care. Who is this guy that keeps appearing in the end of each movie? I can tell from these two films Sony has no idea what is happening with the sequels. They try to drop hints at who the sinister six is going to be but there no good clues. Drew Goddard has even decided and who the sinister six gonna be. Sony should have decided before this movie went into production and who the six villains are gonna be.  I feel like there is good stuff here and potential for good movie is here that  could have been good as Spider Man 1 & 2 but it falls short of too many things happening and feeling rushed. The movie does not feel complete. 

Here are something I liked about the movie. The cast is great there good chemistry between Peter and Gwen. There relationship is believable. Dane Dehaan does a great job on what he is given to work with. Jamie Fox is okay but his character is undeveloped.  Some scenes worked great. I like Jamie Fox apartment. The first battle is electro is alright. The short battle with Green Goblin does work but it could have been way better. The movie feels like they not trying to copy Riami or Nolan in this one. So that is a positive. 

2.5/5

• Like 3

Think this movie is getting trashed way more than it deserves.

Yes, it does have a few problems.  Electro is a weak villain and the character is very undeveloped.  Every time he was on screen I just wanted it to get back to Dahaan, who blew Foxx out of the water.  Ever since Chronicle I knew that kid was going to do big things.  These films are still so much more fun than Raimi's trilogy ever was and I think that's crucial to keeping true with the tone of the comic.  Everyone wants superhero movies to be so damn serious all the time and sometimes that's okay (i.e. Nolan's trilogy) but sometimes it's nice to have a lot of jokes thrown in.

For me, though, it is the love story here that made me like it so much.  I was trying to think if any other superhero movie has had the chemistry that Garfield and Stone have and I can't come up with anything that tops it.  They're just great.  The best parts of this film is when it slows down to let them just interact.

This gives the ending so much more gravity. The slow motion shot of Gwen falling ruined me. And I knew it was coming. Stone nailed that close up. The sound of her hitting at the bottom is not something I'll soon forget.

Again, it has some issues, but for me they almost deal exclusively with Electro.  I know they couldn't just do another Green Goblin type film because there was already a consensus that the first film was just another retelling but he was just a very weak villain.  Still, Andrew and Emma carry this film beautifully.  It's much better than the first (which I know for some isn't saying much, but I enjoyed that film enough) and I would like to catch it again in theaters, maybe in 3D.

8/10.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Not enough plot.

Just kidding!

Anyways, The Amazing Spider-man 2 gets one thing over The Dark Knight: it lands the emotional impact of the death of the romantic interest. The Dark Knight was a very plot-driven movie and we went spent like very little time grieving her death before the movie had to march on. In this movie, the death feels more monumental emotionally and has a stronger impact. It helps that Garfield/Stone have very strong chemistry together.

Moving on:

I felt like the two main villains (Electro/Green Goblin) were very one-dimensional. Electro basically became a bad guy because nobody really paid him any attention. Like, I don't know, I guess I should have felt bad for him but it was so over-the-top that I just couldn't take his story seriously. He is very cool once he becomes a supervillain with his energy manipulation but the man was a joke. As for Henry? His whole arc was too rushed to the point where I didn't really feel the movie did a good job.

(1) Henry Osborne's relationship with Peter Parker felt like the movie was going "yeah, these two have been best buds forever!" I don't know, their relationship was nowhere near to where the original Spider-man trilogy had built.

(2) I get he was fired and he's dying but his whole turn to supervillainy....seemed like a giant jump. It was like "he has to be a bad guy now so he's bad now." Also, how did he get trained to take out two prison guards with ease?

(3) Gwen (and Peter) try to convince Henry this isn't who he is. This despite the fact that we really don't know Henry that well

(4) Henry's haircut was fucking terrible. Like, distractingly bad.

The villains in this movie aren't very interesting.

I did like this movie but damn if it lacked any focus. It was jumping all over the place to the point where I was wondering at points if the movie was actually constructing a narrative or just randomly arranging scenes. My advice to Sony is to maybe push the next film by a year or two so that the next script can know what it's about throughout.

B

• Like 5

Good: 

The score was much better this time.  Less "cheesy" (maybe not the right word)

I thought the special effects were pretty good

Emma Stone was great.  Garfield was okay.

Bad:

The parents back story was unnecessary, just like in the first movie.  Waste of time.

It was a bit dark for a SM movie, with Gwen's death and all

The trailer gave away the whole movie (except for the death)

I felt a bit bored at times.

The 3D didn't seem that impressive

With TASM, I left the theater feeling entertained.  This one, not so much.

6/10

• Like 2

Just saw this movie. I thought it was actually pretty good but i'm still not totally sure of it right now. Too many good things and bad things for me to decide what there is more of. For now though I liked it and thought it was pretty good.

I actually liked the Electro villain, mostly just cause I felt bad for him though. The scene where Harry was screaming "I need you!" and he was like "You need... me?" made me feel so terrible for him. I also enjoyed Harry as a villain up until the point where he actually BECAME a villain because at that point I was just kind of like why is this even necessary? The rhino was stupid and pointless.

I thought that the movie was all very well done until the climax and then I thought it became very unfocused which made me frustrated because it was so clear what could've been done to fix that. The Green Goblin and Rhino were both pointless because they didn't throw them in until the very very end and the movie could've been done without either of them. Not to mention I feel like it was basically a spoiler for the studio to even say they were including those villains in the movie because the entire movie I was thinking "When is Harry going to become the Green Goblin already?"

I really like that they killed Gwen because that completely caught me off guard. I will forever applaud such a ballsy move. The franchise has been so comical and light that it is incredibly surprising for that to occur. I thought the death was handled really well with how they did it. Not such a fan the sad montage mostly just cause it was too similar to the first movies sad montage after her dad was killed.

Also I think I found a recurring theme between villains. Normal likable person put in a desperate situation. They take magic serum and/or fall into tank of... magic eels I guess? They become crazy and decide to go destroy shit. They die without redemption.

Edited by killimano3

I haven't seen the movie. I chose to get a vasectomy this weekend instead. So I give it an F....meaning the film...the vasectomy actually went pretty well, and I imagine the surgery felt like less of a kick to the balls than the film would have.

So Harry is the master mind behind all of the villains? So is Harry's dad Norman Osborn completely useless in this series? So in the movie does feel like Harry and Peter are friends or does there relationship feel rushed. 

They might resurrect him. :P

• Like 1

Put in the group that actually enjoyed the movie.  Yes it has some flaws, but it was entertaining and there were some good scenes.

I give it a B+/B

Muddy screenplay with no real plot or solid motivations for the villains (other than hate for Spider-Man) but I suppose it's passable, and forgettable, entertainment if only for Emma Stone. Jamie Foxx and Paul Giamatti were completely wasted, though with Giamatti they're setting for a Sinister Six spin-off movie, so his appearance is a bit more forgiveable versus Foxx.

As someone who did like the first movie, thinking it was better than Raimi's first outing, I was a bit disappointed but not surprised considering some of the reviews. Hopefully for TASM3 they bring in some actual screenwriters to give a more concrete and concentrated plot...

***/*****, (C+, 5.8/10, 2.25/4)

• Like 1

Oh my gosh... I can't really describe it through a typical review, so I'm gonna go a positive/negative format

+ Jamie Foxx was hilariously hammy

- Jamie Foxx was impossible to take serious

+ Harry is the best part of the movie easily. His storyline is really intriguing to watch

- However, his scene with Norman sucked horribly

- I didn't care about Gwen and Peter's relationship at all.

- Peter is still a douche. Heck, he might be a bigger douche in this movie than in TASM. He refuses to help out his "best friend" despite the fact that he'd probably analyze the blood before injecting it himself; he writes off Uncle Ben as second-tier parents; and he's basically the most unlikable character in the movie

+ The Russian doctor was great

+ So was Rhino

+ Biggest positive of all: The way Gwen Stacy died. Almost made the whole movie hit A-range. They did that extremely well.

- WTF was the "Electro Inner Monologue" music? So bad.

- Also, why was there a whole bunch of Spidey cheerleaders at every fight? It was stupid.

- Why would you limit JJJ to an e-mail? He shouldn't even had his job at the Daily Bugle if you aren't going do it right.

All in all, a very very mixed bag, leaning toward negative. I'm gonna go with a C