grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

Just now, vale9001 said:

The problem is imo you call "mixed" reactions that seem a good 7-7.5 (same for the Time magazine reaction).

By being a Greta gerwig movie now seems everything doesn't say the movie is perfect and a triumph is "mixed".

I didn't call them mixed reactions, I said the critics both had reservations, which isn't really what you want in immediate reactions to a world premiere.

• ...wtf 2

3 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

...Cause he isn't a critic. Listen I get that you love the movie, but trying to predict reactions is what we do around here.

He is and was a critic and a verified journalist so his opinion matters as much as anyone else you mentioned lol

If this is your rationale for predicting, you will predict very very wrong. Have fun!

this movie seems to be by definition what most of hollywood mainstream has become. a mess to cater to audience for points. nothing more nothing less. the movies of the 1990s and early 200s are very few far in between. 

it is the "look the direction is so good" but most of the world will be like wtfits. this movie will live and die by being eaten up happily by one part of society and hated by another part of society . someone somewhere in between is crying asking, where did simply making good films of substance go?

Edited by hasanahmad
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

this movie seems to be by definition what most of hollywood mainstream has become. a mess to cater to audience for points. nothing more nothing less. the movies of the 1990s and early 200s are very few far in between. 

it is the "look the direction is so good" but most of the world will be like wtfits. this movie will live and die by being eaten up happily by one part of society and hated by another part of society . someone somewhere in between is crying asking, where did simply making good films of substance go?

You okay dude?

8 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

Nah, we get enough mindless entertainment from comic book movies and franchises like Fast & The Furious. I want blockbusters with a perspective and balls for a change!

Well of course we have to wait for critics but ruimy and his Friends tell us they were hiding from us also "people reactions" * cause the screenings were (to quote Farrell in this movie) CATASTROPHIC!

Any news from them ? 

* Critics reactions seem also anything but catastrophic.

12 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Yeah Barbie has "mixed" social media reactions...

Just like MI7 had "mixed" social media reactions, right?

Let's see what other reactions bring in . But what I've seen they fill like 7/10ish movie.

MI7 reactions were great just that some didn't think it was good as fallout.

Don't really think you can put them in the same boat interms of social reactions.

Definitely sensing some reservations from social reactions so far and with how positive social reactions tend to be definitely will be interesting to see where barbie lands critical wise.

Could be rotten ,meh or decently positive (75%+) but personally don't think it's gonna be a critical darling as some thought .

And audience will see but what I'm getting this movie  probably ain't gonna be for everybody but could be wrong will see.

Want this to succeed but some of the stanning by some users here can get weird.

5 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

yeah it's a kinda of a  dune situation. I think rotten especially will be very positive. Some of the reactions someone is calling "mixed" are still positive reactions well above a 6/10. 

I think it's too early to tell.  Most of the extremely positive reactions are from nobodies. The critics might be harsher on this than what is being let on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Niceguy said:

I think it's too early to tell.  Most of the extremely positive reactions are from nobodies. The critics might be harsher on this than what is being let on.

yeah a lot of critics were really really harsh on dune too. My point.

also we have like 3-4 reactions from official critics and without saying "a triumph,a classic, a never seen masterpiece!" in my opinion they are all well above a 6/10. No one is saying "the movie is bad or a failed thing".

Edited by vale9001

55 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

Wont matter for opening weekend, but I do think it'll matter long term. I thought this movie would open well (although nowhere near as well as it looks like it will be opening) but I always expected a big second weekend drop. Maybe that doesn't happen, but if it's too political most parents wont want to take their kids and most kids wont enjoy it.

A Barbie movie being political? What?

I mean anything is possible for the current Hollywood industry bht if they manage to make Barbie political that would be a new low.

So no I don't think it's happening.

• Haha 1