grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

The reviews are plenty strong enough already that it seems clear audiences should go for it. Less confident about BP nom though, since it’s fighting a ton of uphill battles there. Top critics being the only ones to really give poor reviews so far makes it less promising for big Oscar shots 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to do a Ken spin-off or something. 

1 billion % Barbie 2 is coming Christmas 2025.

Jon Peters no doubt foaming at the mouth thinking of the toy sales. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The reviews are plenty strong enough already that it seems clear audiences should go for it. Less confident about BP nom though, since it’s fighting a ton of uphill battles there. Top critics being the only ones to really give poor reviews so far makes it less promising for big Oscar shots 

I Need to see the movie before but Elvis, dune, joker, JoJo Rabbit, Bohemian  etc.. all movies with some bad-average review and they get BP because of huge success. 

Edited by vale9001

I'm happy for Ryan Gosling. He really need a hit. The last few years haven't been kind for him with Blade Runner, First Man, and Gray Man.

Robbie was always fine, now she can put Babylon, Amsterdam, and Harley Quinn behind her.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm 50/50 on it. A lot of the smaller Oscar season movies might clear out to next year depending how long these strikes go on, many of them depend on actors doing the campaigning to sell it. That'll give it a decent shot. and of course if it's huge in an undeniable way.

• Like 1

Poor reviews? Top critics are still 86% positive with 8.2 average, it's quite strong on there too.

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm happy for Ryan Gosling. He really need a hit. The last few years haven't been kind for him with Blade Runner, First Man, and Gray Man.

Robbie was always fine, now she can put Babylon, Amsterdam, and Harley Quinn behind her.

Last 2 are kinda forgotten movie but BD 2049 whatever the box office was became definitely a cult. I see his performance everywhere on Twitter.

First Blade Runner was a flop too After all but i think with Drive,  probably before Ken, BD 2049 became his most cult performance.  

Edited by vale9001

There are 10 spots in Picture lineup and last year was generous to blockbusters. Gerwig is no stranger to Oscars where repeats happen a lot. As someone said, if it's too big to ignore they won't ignore it.

Also, top critics matter less and less. Joker had genuine divisive reviews and managed to win Golden Lion in Venice, Best Actor sweep of all televised precursors + Oscar and get Oscar noms for Picture, Director, Adapted and Editing. I wager Joker had more uphill battle. 

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Poor reviews? Top critics are still 86% positive with 8.2 average, it's quite strong on there too.

I guess they're comparing it to the highest big movies of the year, like Past lives has 98% and Spiderverse 95% but for a movie that captures the cultural zeitgeist to this extent it doesn't matter. Joker was literally rotten by Top Critics (49%) and got BP nom.

Edited by Bobzaruni

It´s a Barbie movie, it´s expected there will be some group that it will hate it 

It´s likely to stay in the high 80´s on RT, it doesn´t really matter, the actual grade which is the average score is strong as hell 

And it´s at 81 on MC with 47 reviews so there´s no such nonsense as ´´oh top critics aren´t that good´´, they are 

And with 10 slots on BP it´s obviously gonna be nominated 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I Need to see the movie before but Elvis, dune, joker, JoJo Rabbit, Bohemian  etc.. all movies with some bad-average review and they get BP because of huge success. 

All far more typical Oscar bait though. I mean Dune and Joker not as much so, but still way more than this. Would be a massive, colossal win for the Academy finally making some progress with what kind of stuff it will nominate if this got in. 

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

it seems that some very talented actors have a period of can't-do-wrong and then a period where nothing works and then finally finding a defining role in a defining movie that turns it all around. Phoenix was one. Ryan Reynolds too. Gosling and Robbie obviously. I think Adam Driver is next. He's entered a kind of a slump after years of right projects.