grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

yes they are lol

There's nothing snobby about treating movies as art and trying to learn/educate yourself lol

Saying that "non intellectuals" are inferior is like the textbook example of snobbery.

That said it is equally stupid to decide whether to watch a movie based on whether "snobs" like it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

...ok? Do you have anything to actually contribute to the discussion other than snark?

No because it would require a discussion in the spoilers chat and one I doubt you'd even properly engage with in good fun. All I'll say is that the movie clearly (and not in a subtle way) for the joke plays up the absurdity of every character (female or male) to showcase how we as humans regardless of gender can be defined by a single trait (literally the entire point of Ken)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

Saying that "non intellectuals" are inferior is like the textbook example of snobbery.

That said it is equally stupid to decide whether to watch a movie based on whether "snobs" like it.

Film is an art form where hundreds of thousands of creators collectively join together and offer their personality, perspectives, politics and intelligence. Every single film requires this. If noticing this makes anyone a "snob" or "pretentious" or whatever buzzword is thrown around, that's a sad and undermining view to have

9 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

This coming literally immediately after

Is hilarious and exactly my point

I'm sure you were fine with the "snobby" critics who thought Logan was a masterpiece because it was dark and heavy. But strange when other films and genres are pointed out for their artistry, it suddenly becomes snobbish hmm 

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I'm sure you were fine with the "snobby" critics who thought Logan was a masterpiece because it was dark and heavy. But strange when other films and genres are pointed out for their artistry, it suddenly becomes snobbish hmm 

Anyone who started saying something is "Real Cinema, unlike the tastes of the stupid masses" about a movie with a 160 plus opening weekend is quite obviously a snob lol

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Anyone who started saying something is "Real Cinema, unlike the tastes of the stupid masses" about a movie with a 160 plus opening weekend is quite obviously a snob lol

Thank god you weren't alive back in 1974 when a movie like Chinatown would make money. You'd be defending like a Herbie car sequel over it

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

No because it would require a discussion in the spoilers chat and one I doubt you'd even properly engage with in good fun. All I'll say is that the movie clearly (and not in a subtle way) for the joke plays up the absurdity of every character (female or male) to showcase how we as humans regardless of gender can be defined by a single trait (literally the entire point of Ken)

Of course that little jibe had to be thrown in, lol. 

Yes, the movie plays up the absurdity of every character. But for the women that manifests in a wide variety of personalities and attitudes, while for the men it almost universally manifests in cartoonish incompetence and arrogance. 

11 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Film is an art form where hundreds of thousands of creators collectively join together and offer their personality, perspectives, politics and intelligence. Every single film requires this. If noticing this makes anyone a "snob" or "pretentious" or whatever buzzword is thrown around, that's a sad and undermining view to have

I agree, but all of this has nothing to do with saying that "non-intellectuals are an inferior breed of moviegoer," whatever that's supposed to mean. 

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Thank god you weren't alive back in 1974 when a movie like Chinatown would make money. You'd be defending like a Herbie car sequel over it

Yeah nothing could age poorly about going to bat for a movie directed by...Roman Polanski? The guy that the "intellectuals" said should get away with child rape because his movies were just that good?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ohh gosh if you want to see it watch it if you don't want to see it don't see it. We should care cause....?. Can we close the discussion?

ps: greta gerwig first 2 movies are better than Polanski first 2 movies. 

Edited by vale9001

15 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The only thing I have to say is that it’s funny people are having a debate about film snobbery on a thread for the Barbie movie, and not on the thread for the three hour biopic about the guy who developed the atomic bomb. 

Well the film snob bros going to bat for a Nolan movie was a given lol

54 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

nah, liking Nolan is the normie position. Snobs who want to show off have no use for him.

I agree. Nolan is a very mainstream director who isn’t exactly known for doing small arthouse movies. He’s associated with “dudebros” more so than film snobs.

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah nothing could age poorly about going to bat for a movie directed by...Roman Polanski? The guy that the "intellectuals" said should get away with child rape because his movies were just that good?

Nice dodge...and nice stereotype.

I think Polanski was a great filmmaker....but I also think he should have gone to prison for what he did.

Yes, you do have some alleged "Intellectuals" who have made fools of themselves trying to excuse what Polanski did, but I have seen Comic Book Movie fans in this very web site try to hand wave away what Ezra Miller is accused of doing  because he was the star of "The FLash". And they were not saying that Miller should have his day in court, but that even if he did waht he is accused of doing it was not that bad.