grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

The PG-13 cut is very well received, again 

But WB tested a PG cut as well and that sounds like a shitty version of it, i really hope Greta have enough power to insist on the PG-13 and won if Warner made another stupid decision to get into the editing process like we know they did before and destroyed the movies 

Edited by ThomasNicole

14 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The PG-13 cut is very well received, again 

But WB tested a PG cut as well and that sounds like a shitty version of it, i really hope Greta have enough power to insist on the PG-13 and won if Warner made another stupid decision to get into the editing process like we know they did before and destroyed the movies 

Whatever they are testing must be insanely good. I have never seen so many 5stars for a test screening.

• Like 3

Just now, Maggie said:

Whatever they are testing must be insanely good. I have never seen so many 5stars for a test screening.

Probably people from the PG-13 cut test screening, i´ve read a lot of raves indeed. 

The PG one reads very incoherent, lacking important scenes, and confusing for the younger audiences they was aiming [and possibly alienating the Gen Z audiences that wants something more subversive]. Hopefully is just one of the many cuts the studios always tested for every movie and ended up shelved, and the only difference is that we knew about this one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Now, I have no clue if this is possible, but could they in theory release... both versions? lol, like how they released a longer NWH version, or singalong versions of movies?

The longer version of NWH was a re-release. It wouldn’t make any sense to have competing versions in theaters at the same time. 

14 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Now, I have no clue if this is possible, but could they in theory release... both versions? lol, like how they released a longer NWH version, or singalong versions of movies?

I though about it, but i think that would create a feeling of ´´i´m not getting the full movie´´ for the ones who watched the other version. 

They´ll have to decide, i think they smart enough to know the huge hype for this is coming from older audiences, not children, so i´m confident the PG-13 and apparently way better version will be the one. 

But it´s worth of notice the fact that a more family oriented version exist, so they´re obviously thinking about it. That´s why i bring the information.

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

This came up when The King's Speech was out: the short story is that the MPAA/NATO rules did not allow the movie to be released simultaneously with different ratings. Here's an article from the time:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/harvey-weinstein-king-s-speech-86079/#!

The rule (back then anyway, maybe it's changed since) was that a movie playing in (US) theaters could have one MPA rating at a time, while it was in release. To release another version with a different rating, you had to pull the original version from theaters and wait 90 days to release the lower/higher rated version, unless the MPA/NATO heads signed a waiver on the waiting period. But even then, it had to be one version or the other (PG or PG-13, R or PG-13, etc). This is different than a director's cut, singalong version, etc. with a different length or open captions, but still within the same rating otherwise.

I get it, the MPA/NATO want to prevent the headaches/confusion/complaints from moviegoers seeing content that's more (or less) edgy than they expected. That happens often enough even when the rating is totally clear.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Gosling completely owning this has been the most constant thing coming out of Barbie. Even before the movie started to test screen insiders said that Barbie was Ken's movie. Kenergy is real. :bravo:

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Barbie said:

i dont really trust those early reviews, ever

I don't for franchises cause fans are biased af. But this isn't a franchise so we are more likely to get more genuine reviews. Not 100% genuine but better ratio than with franchises.

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

I think they are real. Too many people say the same thing. Movie is great.

but arent they reshooting now? they usually do reshoots for bad screening reactions

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I don't for franchises cause fans are biased af. But this isn't a franchise so we are more likely to get more genuine reviews. Not 100% genuine but better ratio than with franchises.

well barbie is an extremely known property

On 5/2/2023 at 3:32 PM, Valonqar said:

yes but people who review on Letterbox aren't attached to it in the way they are to MCU, SW, DCEU. 

Not so sure about that. Letterboxd users and people who are all over Barbie/Greta/the cast on twitter have a pretty big overlap. Not the same pull as Marvel bult-in audience, but a lot of them might be shitting their pants just because they 're watching it 2 months early. 

I guess we can be more sure that it isn't a disaster or just a toy commercial, but I think we already knew that based on the cast and crew.

Edited by Joel M