grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

unfortunately being banned in some Asian countries because they’re taking offence to a …. Map. 

Vietnam and it looks like potentially Philippines so far.  

It’s unfortunate but the box office impact will be minimal. Probably would have grossed sub-$5 million combined if released normally.

16 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

It’s unfortunate but the box office impact will be minimal. Probably would have grossed sub-$5 million combined if released normally.

Philippines is as important as Indonesia/Malaysia or (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia Combined). It's the biggest box office territory in Southeast Asia (Filipino also additionally supports Hollywood over Local Films). You all know about MCUs (especially Philippines' contribution to Avengers: Endgame &Disney's Live action adaptions.

Senators are calling for a ban but Government is also accused for taking action against a film when they are not in active sense to fight against the Chinese Government. Peoples are still divided in opinion. So, far its still having a chance. And Censors are yet to rule a ban - https://midas.mtrcb.gov.ph/site/#!/mp

Edited by Issac Newton

2 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Philippines is as important as Indonesia/Malaysia or (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia Combined). It's the biggest box office territory in Southeast Asia (Filipino also additionally supports Hollywood over Local Films). You all know about MCUs (especially Philippines' contribution to Avengers: Endgame &Disney's Live action adaptions.

I'm aware. I just don't think Barbie would have appealed to those markets even if it wasn't banned. American humor usually doesn't work in Asia.

12 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I'm aware. I just don't think Barbie would have appealed to those markets even if it wasn't banned. American humor usually doesn't work in Asia.

Agreed but Actually, I didn't take humor into count but Vietnam/Philippines have literally no local film restricting the potential growth of any Imported Film outside Blackout days like MMFF in Philippines and Spring Festival in Vietnam. Minions 2 literally broke into All-time Top 10 in Vietnam while its performance in compare to rest of South East Asia was quite underwhelming in compare to Minions.

All-Time Top Grossers ~ Vietnam (Admits)

1. Nhà bà Nữ - 5.70M (5.8M)
  2. Bố già - 5.34M (5.6M)
  3. Avengers: Endgame - 3.49M 
  4. Avatar: The Way Of Water - 3.46M
  5. Doctor Strange: In The Multiverse of Madness - 2.51M
  6. Hai Phượng - 2.50M
  7. Minions: The Rise Of Gnu - 2.49M
  8. Cua lại vợ bầu - 2.39M
  9. Avengers: Infinity War - 2.35M
  10. 6/45 (Korea) - 2.27M

Dis Figures are in Brackets. Gross ~ Nhà bà Nữ (₫475B) &Bố già (₫434B). 

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 1:01 PM, Issac Newton said:

Yeah, Middle East &North Africa will be difficult - 

Clearing release approval is getting much tougher these days.

Would it piss off conservatives if the marketing campaign embraced this? “This Barbie is banned in the Middle East”, “this Barbie is banned in SEA” ? Maybe there’s a reason I don’t work in marketing lol

I don't think the movie has gays and trans characters. There is a trans woman actress,  which Is different. Then some of the kens maybe have a  representation Who plays with the common idea of masculinity but i don't think in an explicit way the movie talks about being trans or gay.

This Is why It's not banned in china e we don't know about middle East yet, that tweet Is from April and just a prediction.

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

The marketing has been genius but I hope it doesn’t set a precedent. It’d be exhausting if lots of movies were promoted ironically, desperately trying to become memes, following the success of this. 

You act as if Barbie marketing team is doing something new or revolutionary when in fact they are just copying the same marketing formula that worked so well for the Deadpool films. Now don't get me wrong I give the marketing team a lot of credit for how well they are selling this film, but nothing they are doing is truly game changing 

There have been many movies that have been promoted ironically and desperately tried to become memes or trend on social media. this is all nothing new and even if the Barbie movie flops there will still be films that use similar marketing tactics since they know that is has already worked with the Deadpool films

Edited by roxas11

5 hours ago, KP1025 said:

We don't know that. It could also be a case when The Philippines contributes more than China just like what it did with THE LITTLE MERMAID.

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

unfortunately being banned in some Asian countries because they’re taking offence to a …. Map. 

It is a serious offense. We already won the case against the 9 dash line, but China has continued to be aggressive, harassing our fishermen and not allowing them to fish in our own waters.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, roxas11 said:

You act as if Barnie marketing team is doing something new or revolutionary when in fact they are just copying the same marketing formula that worked so well for the Deadpool films. Now don't get me wrong I give the marketing team a lot of credit for how well they are selling this film, but nothing they are doing is truly game changing 

There have been many movies that been promoted ironically and desperately tried to become memes or trend on social media. this is all nothing new and even if the Barbie movie flops there will still be films that use similar marketing tactics since they know that is has already worked with the Deadpool films

Deadpool’s a fair example, but the character’s shtick was breaking the 4th wall so the marketing reflected that.

The scope of this barbie campaign feels different. It’s way more inescapable and will inspire way copycats. 

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

It is a serious offense. We already won the case against the 9 dash line, but China has continued to be aggressive, harassing our fishermen and not allowing them to fish in our own waters.

That sounds bad. Maybe they could CGI in a different map or remove it. Can’t imagine it’ll have much to do with the plot of … Barbie. 

11 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

We don't know that. It could also be a case when The Philippines contributes more than China just like what it did with THE LITTLE MERMAID.

Even with TLM being a breakout, it grossed like $6 million in Philippines. And in Vietnam, TLM grossed like $0.5 million so doubt Barbie would have been that much higher. But you are right that anything can happen.

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That sounds bad. Maybe they could CGI in a different map or remove it. Can’t imagine it’ll have much to do with the plot of … Barbie. 

WB shouldn't have included it in the first place. But we know this is all about money. 🙃

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

It amazes me how seriously they are talking a map that literally looks like it was made by a child lol

5e48d3ba21ca438d919150796a75d4f1?impolic

It would be one thing if they were trying to make an accurate map, but clearly this map is not meant to be taken seriously at all, especially since it was created by a character who obviously knows very little about the outside world. I have to believe that these politicians who are attacking the film over this deep down know full well just how silly this controversy really is

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I’ve just seen the picture of the map from the film and the fact that anyone even noticed is beyond me 🤣🤣

It’s a map drawn in what looks like crayon, in the background of a shot. It looks like a kid painted it and it’s all wrong anyway. 

😂🤦🏻‍♂️

I looked at the Brazil BO thread and damn the pre-sales in Brazil are off the charts for this movie. In the region where they tracked pre-sales, It's already crossed pre-sales (T-1)  of most of the major tentpoles this year with more than 2 weeks remaining. It's already more than double that of Flash, ATSV presales and 25% higher than FastX, GOTG3 pre-sales in that region with more than 2 weeks remaining. What a crazy start...I wasn't sure how the hype would be outside US but this pretty much solidifies that this has a potential to do crazy numbers.

btw, thanks to @Flamengo81 for the Brazil pre-sales tracking data.

1 minute ago, roxas11 said:

It amazes me how seriously they are talking a map that literally looks like it was made by a child lol

5e48d3ba21ca438d919150796a75d4f1?impolic

It would be one thing if they were trying to make an accurate map, but clearly this map is not meant to be taken seriously at all, especially since it was created by a character who obviously knows very little about the outside world. I have to believe that these politicians who are attacking the film over this deep down know full well just how silly this controversy really is

Ah we posted at the same time. Same thoughts as well lol. It’s moronic. 

• Like 2