Fancyarcher

The BFG (Spielberg Attached to Direct) July 1, 2016

4 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Does a movie need to have exceptional reviews in order to get you interested in seeing it? I'm actually quite interested in The BFG, meh / good / okay reviews or not, really.

I'm not exactly where I want to be career or finance wise in my life right now. Need to be selective in my moviegoing choices somehow and I think reviews are as good a way to do it as any to save money while still being pop culture savvy. 

I'll see this if my cousin wants to, but otherwise I don't think I'll be deeply regretting it if I wait till Netflix

• Like 1

Just now, tribefan695 said:

I'm not exactly where I want to be career or finance wise in my life right now. Need to be selective in my moviegoing choices somehow and I think reviews are as good a way to do it as any to save money while still being pop culture savvy. 

I'll see this if my cousin wants to, but otherwise I don't think I'll be deeply regretting it if I wait till Netflix

Fair enough points. I tend to go movies that interest me, and The BFG certainly looks like something I might enjoy,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, goldenstate5 said:

Is it weird that I'm not stoked to see this, at least in the theater? I see this as a modest success, $50 mil open at the highest and possibly up to a 3x multi to $150.

Dory will ironically be the one to do the biggest harm to its open, and Pete's Dragon clubbing its late legs. Man, Disney doesn't even show mercy to themselves.

6 weekends to itself is more than enough for The BFG.

2 hours ago, Free State of Tele said:

What I find interesting is that people now seem almost conditioned to embrace animated family films that skew younger, while rejecting live-action ones that likewise skew younger.

Because in general there is a huge disconnect between the quality of live action and animated kids films. The latter tend to be executed far better. Again, in general. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Because in general there is a huge disconnect between the quality of live action and animated kids films. The latter tend to be executed far better. Again, in general. 

Pixar, WDAS, Dreamworks and Illumination are the family film market. There is barely room for anything else.

Some of the greatest movies ever made have been live-action kids' movies. I'd think that the reunion of three of the biggest names in that genre (well, two, with the addition of a famous author) would garner some interest regardless of early buzz (which, frankly, has been positive).

• Like 1

Mark Rylance s giant CG ugly face might have a lot to do with the indifference this movie is creating.

As a kid, I would be scared by it, not enchanted.

So Spielberg has only himself to blame if he thought having a giant Mark Rylance was a good idea to begin with.

Ah, bromances ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Mark Rylance s giant CG ugly face might have a lot to do with it the indifference this mvoie is creating.

As a kid, I would be scared by it, not enchanted.

So Spielberg has only himself to blame if he thought having a giant Mark Rylance was a good idea to begin with.

Ah, bromances ...

That damn neck being three times the size of his face

2 hours ago, Free State of Tele said:

Some of the greatest movies ever made have been live-action kids' movies . I'd think that the reunion of three of the biggest names in that genre (well, two, with the addition of a famous author) would garner some interest regardless of early buzz (which, frankly, has been positive).

Like what? I'm sure you're right but I just cant think of any.

2 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

Like what? I'm sure you're right but I just cant think of any.

E.T., Wizard of Oz, Adventures of Robin Hood, Princess Bride, Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Willy Wonka, and Harry Potter (:ph34r:).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

Willy Wonka and the Errol Flynn Robin certainly belong on there.

I like WW as much as everyone else, but we're talking all-timers here. It's not up there for me.

Haven't seen Robin Hood.