Fancyarcher

The BFG (Spielberg Attached to Direct) July 1, 2016

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

The budget likely was already partly covered by DreamWorks selling the OS rights. It's surprising that Spielberg doesn't spend that much on his films compared to other blockbusters. I imagine Ready Player One will be nearer $200m though

Dreamworks went in on this with others.  They're in for far less than the 150m or whatever it cost.  So...it can't be that bad.

And the movie...isn't bad.  Though I'm unsure how broad its appeal will be.  I liked it though.  The visuals are great and it's cute.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2016 at 0:48 PM, NickDisney13 said:

Welp. Not surprising since it's Disney I guess, but it's pretty screwed with that budget unless it's a huge OS breakout. 90 seems about the best case scenario DOM right now. 

Still remaining optimistic :)

OW: 39M (46M 4-day)

DOM: A leggy run and make its way to 184M

Not 200M+...but a successful run.

Jesus Christ, I'd never thought I'd be fanboying for a movie like the BFG in my entire life :lol: 

Edited by ThatOneGuy

4 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Still remaining optimistic :)

OW: 39M (46M 4-day)

DOM: A leggy run and make its way to 184M

Not 200M+...but a successful run.

Jesus Christ, I'd never thought I'd be fanboying for a movie like the BFG in my entire life :lol: 

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Welp. Not surprising since it's Disney I guess, but it's pretty screwed with that budget unless it's a huge OS breakout. 90 seems about the best case scenario DOM right now. 

It's not Disney. It was originally Dreamworks.

Is it weird that I'm not stoked to see this, at least in the theater? I see this as a modest success, $50 mil open at the highest and possibly up to a 3x multi to $150.

Dory will ironically be the one to do the biggest harm to its open, and Pete's Dragon clubbing its late legs. Man, Disney doesn't even show mercy to themselves.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time seeing this beat Tintin, and I'm somewhat worried this could only get to mid 50s total. (Granted, it'll likely do much better overseas) Being sandwiched between Dory and SLOP will not be kind to this.

Tarzan is still doing worse, though. I could imagine and RIPD run for it.

1 minute ago, Free State of Tele said:

What I find interesting is that people now seem almost conditioned to embrace animated family films that skew younger, while rejecting live-action ones that likewise skew younger.

Let's be real though, outside of The Jungle Book and Cinderella what live action family films have been very well received this decade?

Edited by WrathOfHan

6 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

What I find interesting is that people now seem almost conditioned to embrace animated family films that skew younger, while rejecting live-action ones that likewise skew younger.

Right now this film's reviews aren't far removed from Pets'. 

And before you bring up TGD, that had me with its trailers, this and Pets don't. 

27 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Let's be real though, outside of The Jungle Book and Cinderella what live action family films have been very well received this decade?

Can't think of any. Most live action family films actually seem more throwaway kiddie fair then animated ones in general.

22 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Right now this film's reviews aren't far removed from Pets'. 

And before you bring up TGD, that had me with its trailers, this and Pets don't. 

Does a movie need to have exceptional reviews in order to get you interested in seeing it? I'm actually quite interested in The BFG, meh / good / okay reviews or not, really.

• Like 1