Fancyarcher

The BFG (Spielberg Attached to Direct) July 1, 2016

26 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

E.T., Wizard of Oz, Adventures of Robin Hood, Princess Bride, Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Willy Wonka, and Harry Potter (:ph34r:).

Are we really bringing up classics like that as a comparison point for this? Nothing about it indicates it would be remotely on the level of those. And if I'm wrong and it somehow is, then it will become a classic with time like most of those movies had to. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Are we really bringing up classics like that as a comparison point for this? Nothing about it indicates it would be remotely on the level of those. And if I'm wrong and it somehow is, then it will become a classic with time like most of those movies had to. 

You make a good point...cept I wasn't comparing them with BFG. I was just answering Jack's question on what live-action children's films are considered all-time classics.

• Like 1

THE BLACK STALLION as well, IMO. And it's worth pointing out that Melissa Matheson wrote that and E.T. (as well as this). She also wrote INDIAN IN THE CUPBOARD, which may not be an all-time classic, but it's certainly a nice, sweet, well-made movie.

Anyways. I think this isn't going to be for late-teens and college-age kids.

TOMATOMETER

23 hours ago, Goffe said:

Just saw the reviews... well I guess I won't be seeing it on the theaters.

:kitschjob:

That was super cool I must admit, I went to see this as a chore because Steven S. but I was enchanted and CG Mark Rylance was truly something, you could see his gentle soul in his eyes.

Uncle Steven has a knack with kids, notjing new here, the girl was always on point.

I know I am the only one to keep track of these things but damn, how far visual effects/CGI have gone :2016 has been quite something.

Pixar just went through a technical upgrade and made the two punch combo of The Good Dinausor ( most photorealistic backgrounds ever) & Dory.

Zootopia s animation was incredible.

Jungle Book (MPC) is fantastic BUT

Warcraft (ILM) & The BFG (WETA) were totally on par.

People don't realize this because Jungle Book had too enormous advantages  =

- it was portraying animals, which is still way easier to do than humans/human like creatures. The uncanny effect is still the ultimate frontier and it is easier to defeat with animals with fur on the face.

- Jungle Book backgrounds were 100% CGI, Warcraft I am not sure and TBG had lots of real sets so compositing & lighting are way more difficult to do.

The Giant was impressive, the skin, the details of the face, ILM & Weta are still the pionneers no doubt.

Teeth still don't look good IMO.

And mad respect to Steven for crafting the most suspensful & hilarious scene ever about :

DEFYING GRAVITY FARTS

AND THE JOY OF FARTING

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1