CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Thor 2 had a lower Thur (7.1) so ASM2 would have to have much bigger Fri-Sat bump. 40%+ instead of 30%

True, it becomes 41% bump for ASM2 compared to Thor 2's 29%

7.1 + 24.8 + 32(+29%)

8.7 + 26.3 + 37(+41%)

So recalculating, Thor 2 like performance gives

8.7 + 26.3 + 33.9 + 23 = 91.9

QUIK QUESTIONIs Men In Black in the same deal as SpiderMan, where Sony has to pump out movies to stop the rights going back to Marvel

I don't think so, unless they have a really long window. There was 10 years between 2 and 3.

QUIK QUESTIONIs Men In Black in the same deal as SpiderMan, where Sony has to pump out movies to stop the rights going back to Marvel

No that was Smith playing hard to get till he thought he really needed it.

10 years between MIB2 and MIB3....I'm gonna say "no".

So they own MIB 100%.And marvel only made 3mil off the first 2 movies.Honestly it's probably Avi Arads fault.

Forget dollars: Just imagine how many fewer tickets this is selling than Raimi's Spider-Man 2. I know moviegoing ain't what it used to be, but let's reminiscence about the golden days (10 years ago)!

Yeah, adjust for population increase in U.S. / Canada as well.  I would guess that the population has boomed 5% in the past decade.  Combine that with IMAX screens, and Raimi's Spider-Man 2 would have made over 460 million domestic adjusted for the year 2014.  Also, it had a 4 times multiplier and Roger Ebert named it his #3 best film of 2004, up there alongside his art house Oscar pick films.

Whatever deal is involved with Sony having the MiB film rights, it well predates any connection Marvel had to the series. I wonder if the Lowell Cunningham gets any kickback from the films, now.

Yeah, adjust for population increase in U.S. / Canada as well.  I would guess that the population has boomed 5% in the past decade.  Combine that with IMAX screens, and Raimi's Spider-Man 2 would have made over 460 million domestic adjusted for the year 2014.  Also, it had a 4 times multiplier and Roger Ebert named it his #3 best film of 2004, up there alongside his art house Oscar pick films.

Wednesday opener. Multipliers are always better for mid-week releases. Would have opened to around $120m with a Friday release, which would be a 3.1 multiplier. Great for the genre, but not quite SM1 level (3.5).

I have a bit of a hard time computing the reality of a Spidey movie opening under a Captain America movie. With the early OS reactions (or lack thereof) and competitions ahead, I know that legs won't be pretty, but I always thought that OW should be mostly unaffected.

• Like 5

I have a bit of a hard time computing the reality of a Spidey movie opening under a Captain America movie. With the early OS reactions (or lack thereof) and competitions ahead, I know that legs won't be pretty, but I always thought that OW should be mostly unaffected.

The way it's  trending on Twitter you'd think it would have a 100m opening day.

• Like 1

Below a Superman movie too, and maybe even a Thor movie

Who woulda thought

• Like 1

I've been told that the kids in junior high and high school these days use Twitter more than Facebook. If there's any demographic that wouldn't be put off by a second Spider-man series so soon after the last, it's them. 

• Like 2

I haven't time to look at Twitter yet. So it's busy recently? Cause last time I checked, I found that Twitter activity was strangely low for a big movie opening early OS in many territories. 

Tumblr, which is pretty much a Marvel-filled land, has been on the quieter side as well.