CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

I compared it to TDK because that movie had gigantic weekdays and STILL dropped sub-53%.

Yeah it did, because it was a fucking unstoppable beast.  The exact opposite of SM3.  It also had zero competition like, for it's entire run.  

All I'm trying to say is that I don't think there is a movie that can withstand 2 different $100m openers back to back.  We've still never seen anything like that since.

• Like 1

I liked TASM 1 but it is kind of sad that this seems to be worse than that one. IT really should have been better

With the writers they brought on board, I dont think that was ever a real possibility.

I liked TASM 1 but it is kind of sad that this seems to be worse than that one. IT really should have been better

There are quite a few people saying it's better, so you should go into it with more hope that you might enjoy it more. I liked the first one and I'm looking forward to seeing this one tomorrow.

I think it's better...there's just so much contrasting options about both movies that there is no consensus and views on both movies are all over the place.
  • Like 1

Yeah it did, because it was a fucking unstoppable beast.  The exact opposite of SM3.  It also had zero competition like, for it's entire run.  

All I'm trying to say is that I don't think there is a movie that can withstand 2 different $100m openers back to back.  We've still never seen anything like that since.

Of course not. TA1 had some of the best WOM we've ever seen and I bet it wouldn't have made it to $600m if it had those kind of big openers a few weeks after. But SM3 still should have been a 400 grosser after that opening. Just needed to be a much, much better movie.

I actually think POTC3 suffered more than the other two that month. I still remember standing in line to see it and people were complaining about how disappointed they were in Spidey/Shrek. Can't help but think a lot of people just didn't even bother with the last movie in the lineup after spending so much on two disappointing flicks earlier in the month. It was interesting that Pirates ended up with better domestic home video sales than the other two despite a lower gross.

• Like 3

I need to rewatch TASM sometime. Probably drag a friend over to view it before going to see TASM2 a second time. Based on comments from others, it looks like I need to see it in 3D.

I thought the swinging shots through the city in 3D were really awesome. May be worth it just for that if you're a visual/sfx person. Edited by FTF
  • Like 1

I actually think POTC3 suffered more than the other two that month. I still remember standing in line to see it and people were complaining about how disappointed they were in Spidey/Shrek. Can't help but think a lot of people just didn't even bother with the last movie in the lineup after spending so much on two disappointing flicks earlier in the month. It was interesting that Pirates ended up with better domestic home video sales than the other two despite a lower gross.

true.

also sm3 and shrek3 were coming after a gap of 3 years.

for potc3 it was 10.5 months after potc2.

• Like 1

Going to see ASM2 later today with my cousins...but for now I will watch Cloverfield, the best monster movie of all time.

You really need to see more movies
  • Like 1

true.

also sm3 and shrek3 were coming after a gap of 3 years.

for potc3 it was 10.5 months after potc2.

Well, it was filmed back to back, and the cliffhanger from POTC2 led directly into POTC3. It is just that apart from the cliffhanger, there was nothing good about POTC2 - audience apathy caused the fall a lot more than the close release. The same issue as Reloaded and Revolutions.

Edited by grim22

Well, it was filmed back to back, and the cliffhanger from POTC2 led directly into POTC3. It is just that apart from the cliffhanger, there was nothing good about POTC2 - audience apathy caused the fall a lot more than the close release. The same issue as Reloaded and Revolutions.

DMC and AWE are average, but they look like masterpieces next to On Stranger Tides.

• Like 1