CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

I think Hollywood should be more careful in some countries OS and America itself when it comes to 3D. Noah and Need for Speed didn't get 3D releases in Portugal and Pompeii and Frankenstein got very limited shows in 3D (and when I say limited I am talking about 8 shows in the total of the 28 theaters our biggest theater chain has). And those movies benefited from that because nobody gives a damn about 3D.

But Legend of Hercules that opened last Thursday is in 3D pretty much everywhere at night (and in these shows it is bombing, selling less than during the afternoon). It doesn't make any sense. Same with movies like 300, Captain America 2 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. 3D hurt some of these movies badly. Divergent was bigger than 300 over here and it will end very close to Captain America 2 and TASM2. Not very normal when we look at these movies OS totals. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

GRAVITY had an 80% 3D share.

Wow, you're right it did. Thought it was more around 55% or so. That's crazy. I wonder what it's total 3d share was. Also proves my point that Hollywood should realize people only want worthwhile 3d.

I think Hollywood should be more careful in some countries OS and America itself when it comes to 3D. Noah and Need for Speed didn't get 3D releases in Portugal and Pompeii and Frankenstein got very limited shows in 3D (and when I say limited I am talking about 8 shows in the total of the 28 theaters our biggest theater chain has). And those movies benefited from that because nobody gives a damn about 3D.

That bit is not true. Gravity is more than enough evidence to show people do give a damn about 3d. But good 3d that adds to the film. Honestly I truly believe that a lot of people's vision doesn't accommodate the 3d effect very well. Because I've seen movies with jaw dropping 3d that others have said they couldn't even see a difference. But that doesn't mean those of us who can see the effects well and enjoy them when they're done right should be SOL just cause others don't have the visual capacity to see them. Those people can just opt for the 2d showings. But there should always be ample option for a 2d showing, and again 3D is most certainly way overused. It's haphazard and unnecessary for 90% of the releases today.

Edited by MovieMan89

We get only 3D screens for all 3D movies at my cinema. Granted, it's a 5 screen theater but it shows that people here still care about it. When I went to see Elysium in IMAX last year, the cashier asked me if I knew that it was in 2D like 3D was the reason people go to the movies or something...

Well, that's what I get from moving away from the capital :( Also, clean air :D

That bit is not true. Gravity is more than enough evidence to show people do give a damn about 3d. But good 3d that adds to the film. Honestly I truly believe that a lot of people's vision doesn't accommodate the 3d effect very well. Because I've seen movies with jaw dropping 3d that others have said they couldn't even see a difference. But that doesn't mean those of us who can see the effects well and enjoy them when they're done right should be SOL just cause others don't have the visual capacity to see them. Those people can just opt for the 2d showings. But there should always be ample option for a 2d showing, and again 3D is most certainly way overused. It's haphazard and unnecessary for 90% of the releases today.

I was talking about Portugal and I never mentioned Gravity in my post. I talked about 4 movies that shouldn't have been converted to 3D in the first place and that got good results in our theaters because they were not released in 3D. 

Edited by CJohn

We get only 3D screens for all 3D movies at my cinema. Granted, it's a 5 screen theater but it shows that people here still care about it. When I went to see Elysium in IMAX last year, the cashier asked me if I knew that it was in 2D like 3D was the reason people go to the movies or something...

Well, that's what I get from moving away from the capital :( Also, clean air :D

Here it is the reverse. When people see a movie is in 3D, they just don't go. They run away from it.

Here it is the reverse. When people see a movie is in 3D, they just don't go. They run away from it.

I wish that were true here, though the 2D shows they give as an alternative to 3D (not in my town) get decent saturation. However, there are way too few of those shows.

I wish that were true here, though the 2D shows they give as an alternative to 3D (not in my town) get decent saturation. However, there are way too few of those shows.

Usually here they put the afternoon shows in 2D and the night shows in 3D. But it is pretty clear 3D hurts the night shows. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

The movies I get advanced screening invites for are getting weirder by the day. Here are 2 of the 4 invites I got today (the other 2 invites were "Neighbors" and "A million ways to die in the west")

The first one is right out of the "Random Liam Neeson Plot Generator"

From the director of NON-STOP and UNKNOWN comes the crime-thriller RUN ALL NIGHT, starring Liam Neeson and Ed Harris.

Brooklyn mobster and prolific hit man Jimmy Conlon (Neeson), once known as The Gravedigger, has seen better days.  Longtime best friend of mob boss Shawn Maguire (Harris), Jimmy, now 55, is haunted by the sins of his past—as well as a dogged police detective who’s been one step behind Jimmy for 30 years.  Lately, it seems Jimmy’s only solace can be found at the bottom of a whiskey glass.

But when Jimmy’s estranged son becomes a target, Jimmy must make a choice between the crime family he chose and the real family he abandoned long ago.  With Mike on the run, Jimmy’s only penance for his past mistakes may be to keep his son from the same fate Jimmy is certain he’ll face himself…at the wrong end of a gun.  Now, with nowhere safe to turn, Jimmy just has one night to figure out exactly where his loyalties lie and to see if he can finally make things right.

The second one is something called "North of Hell" which, from the looks of it, has Katherine Heigl requiring to act

In this sexy dark-comedy you’ll find hourglass pools, manicured lawns and matching mailboxes.  It’s a perfect life for perfect families. A life Don and Mona Champagne (Patrick Wilson and Katherine Heigl) worked hard for.  Unfortunately, when the domineering Mona learns of Don’s affair with a pretty new salesgirl, this suburban slice of heaven becomes corrupted by drugs, blackmail, and buckets of blood.  And Don soon learns that Mona will stop at nothing, including murder, to maintain their storybook life.

The cast includes Katherine Heigl (Life as We Know It, Killers, and The Ugly Truth ),Patrick Wilson (The Conjuring and Young Adult), Jordana Brewster (Fast & Furious 6),Kevin McKidd (TV’s “Grey’s Anatomy” and Trainspotting), and James Belushi (”According to Jim”).

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

This is just all kinds of sad; that  worst case scenario performance that's almost as crazy as the biggest breakouts. It's going to end at most $2m above Battlefield Earth.  :lol:

Transcendence is at 21.3M after a 3rd weekend of 1.1M.

It's final domestic total is going to be below a lot of the OW predictions!

Terrible.

• Like 2