Punishment

Weekend Actuals 5/2-5/4 TASM 91.6, TOW 14.4, HIFR 8.6, Rio 7.7, CA 7.8

Hasn't that happened though? Cap 2 fell hard in most markets when ASM2 was released. Even this week in the US, Cap 2 fell the highest among all new releases. It may not have cut off the legs completely, but definitely will cause Cap2 to end up lower than it would have.

ASM2's release was more like a stubbed toe than a knee capping. About what any big movie would face from another. In many countries the drops continued to be under 50% even with lost theaters.  There was some hand wringing how TWS would have 60-70% drops like ASM did with TKR and would barely make it to $400m O/S.  For instance, Last week ASM2 opened in Brazil to phenomenal $10m and TWS dropped 21%.

• Like 1

I give it a day before it leaks online. Maybe as soon as the next showing of whatever IMAX movie is playing at the air and space museum.

Does anyone here lives in DC? And if anyone does, what the fuck is that person doing and why it isn't at the Smithsonian yet?!

Come onIs this really this big of a deal? It's not being an "apologist" to hope for the best for a film

Sometimes, sure cause: "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Andy, Shawshank 

However when there is a history involved of declining returns AND evidence via previews, tv spots etc that things are not in reversal it's time for logic to override emotion. 

Those with blinders on hoping for TASM2 to do better were riding on emotion, pure and simple. Ignoring the evidence.

Same thing happened with those who felt STiD should do even more gangbusters. They ignored the franchises history.

History---it's there to help us.

Can't wait for Terminator Genesis predicts. Should be interesting

• Like 1

Sometimes, sure cause: "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Andy, Shawshank 

However when there is a history involved of declining returns AND evidence via previews, tv spots etc that things are not in reversal it's time for logic to override emotion. 

Those with blinders on hoping for TASM2 to do better were riding on emotion, pure and simple. Ignoring the evidence.

Same thing happened with those who felt STiD should do even more gangbusters. They ignored the franchises history.

History---it's there to help us.

Can't wait for Terminator Genesis predicts. Should be interesting

oh be quiet. :)

• Like 2

Can't wait for next weekend to see the WOM of this abomination. 65%+ drop is my prediction .

I'm on record for that as well.

There should be a thread for it.

Mods is that a reasonable/gutsy enough of a club that one of us could make if you give the ok?

Poor John can't catch a break.  He gets shit for being negative all the time, and then he has a positive outlook on a film and still gets shit.

Well John doesn't give the rest of us a break with his constant pessimism, lol.  Well unless it's of course a movie he's anticipating.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 1

I'm on record for that as well.

There should be a thread for it.

Mods is that a reasonable/gutsy enough of a club that one of us could make if you give the ok?

I don't think there's a second weekend club yet. Go for it! (It may need to end up in the Club sub forum, but for now put it here).

• Like 1

Well John doesn't give the rest of us a break with his constant pessimism, lol.  Well unless it's of course a movie he's anticipating.

wrong, I have said that ASM 2 is underperforming and likely won't make a big profit. I am not giving it any sort of pass. 

wrong, I have said that ASM 2 is underperforming and likely won't make a big profit. I am not giving it any sort of pass. 

Well now yes of course you are. That just shows you're not as delusional as some of the rest of us are. So I'll give you that.

While I did enjoy the movie a lot myself, and I find the amount of hate it's getting pretty baffling, I can't say I'm a not little disappointed at the numbers.

Spidey is getting hit from a couple of directions at once.

1-Sony is riding the character into the ground one movie at a time.  Spidey needs a break to breathe a little and it's not going to happen for perhaps decades.

2-Cap 2 just came out last month.   People have short memories, but not that short.   Bad luck for Sony that Marvel got it so right just before they served up a "meh" product.   My theory is that effected critics too...lowering the RT score.

• Like 3

Spidey is getting hit from a couple of directions at once.

1-Sony is riding the character into the ground one movie at a time.  Spidey needs a break to breathe a little and it's not going to happen for perhaps decades.

2-Cap 2 just came out last month.   People have short memories, but not that short.   Bad luck for Sony that Marvel got it so right just before they served up a "meh" product.   My theory is that effected critics too...lowering the RT score.

And that's key right there.

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

That makes very little sense to be honest. The only comparisons which can be made right now are TASM and Cap2. The OD number in the end was still higher than TASM (lower without previews, but that was the case with the 35.5M estimate as well) and lower than Cap2 (even with the estimate).

That's true, but we have to see it from the point of view of people that don't follow box office every day like us (which is pretty much everyone--even the majority of people in the industry).

Releasing $35.5m as the Friday estimate ensured a reported number that would be rounded up to $36m (while still technically being over the OD of TASM1 and IM1). When most people in the media see that, they don't research every detail of it like we would--they just see that it had bigger opening day than X film, and that's what they write in the news. That's what Sony wants/wanted.

Studios know how to manipulate the general media to a certain point, and that includes feeding the necessary information to get the results they want.