lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

On 2/28/2016 at 2:48 AM, Spidey Freak said:

The movie would have to ridiculously suck to be a WW flop.

2015 Fantastic Four is the current go-to example of there being a superhero movie so awful that it can perform very poorly at the box office.

Lionsgate sent out a press release, and there are officially 6 credited writers.  Some in the Ranger fandom are dismissive, saying rewrites happen all the time, and Lionsgate and Saban Brands just decided to credit everyone.  However, 6 credited writers sound like it is custom-made for a CJohn Lionsgate criticism post.  There is a very short plot summary in the press release too.

Saban's Power Rangers follows five ordinary high school kids who must become something extraordinary when they learn that their small town of Angel Grove – and the world – is on the verge of being obliterated by an alien threat. Chosen by destiny, our heroes quickly discover that they are the only ones who can save the planet. But to do so they will have to overcome their real-life issues and band together as the Power Rangers before it is too late. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/action/power-rangers-kicks-off-production-first-official-synopsis-released-a131578

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Saban's Power Rangers follows five ordinary high school kids who must become something extraordinary when they learn that their small town of Angel Grove – and the world – is on the verge of being obliterated by an alien threat. Chosen by destiny, our heroes quickly discover that they are the only ones who can save the planet. But to do so they will have to overcome their real-life issues and band together as the Power Rangers before it is too late. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/action/power-rangers-kicks-off-production-first-official-synopsis-released-a131578

k I dig, not bad

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

That sounds like a plot of several other films. 

Well, it is an improvement on the Power Rangers formula. At least "real-life issues to overcome" suggest these Rangers will actually have something close to character arcs, which is already more than what previous Rangers had. 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Well, it is an improvement on the Power Rangers formula. At least "real-life issues to overcome" suggest these Rangers will actually have something close to character arcs, which is already more than what previous Rangers had. 

I doubt any ranger fan wants to see real life issues in the movie. Just make it action packed and fun like TMNT so that atleast the fans get something out it. 

No matter how hard they try critics/youtubers are going to trash it because to like a PR movie is uncool. Nowadays it is obvious which big budget film is gonna be trashed or well received.  

Edited by marveldcfox

26 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I doubt any ranger fan wants to see real life issues in the movie. Just make it action packed and fun like TMNT so that atleast the fans get something out it. 

No matter how hard they try critics/youtubers are going to trash it because to like a PR movie is uncool. Nowadays it is obvious which big budget film is gonna be trashed or well received.  

Just because the characters get subplots doesn't mean it cannot be fun and action-packed. Or that it will turn away fans. Heck, I could argue that Fast & Furious really exploded when more focus was given to themes of family. And the new PR comic that is doing well apparently fleshes out the characters more than the shows ever did, so it is not like the fanbase is up in arms against character development. Sometimes it is more fun when you actually care about the characters.

Also regarding critics and YouTubers trashing PR no matter what, that wasn't the case for Goosebumps at all. I think that movie is exactly what this should be striving for. Stay true to the outlandishness and fun of the original concept, but offer something more as well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Just because the characters get subplots doesn't mean it cannot be fun and action-packed. Or that it will turn away fans. Heck, I could argue that Fast & Furious really exploded when more focus was given to themes of family. And the new PR comic that is doing well apparently fleshes out the characters more than the shows ever did, so it is not like the fanbase is up in arms against character development. Sometimes it is more fun when you actually care about the characters.

Also regarding critics and YouTubers trashing PR no matter what, that wasn't the case for Goosebumps at all. I think that movie is exactly what this should be striving for. Stay true to the outlandishness and fun of the original concept, but offer something more as well.

Goosebumps is an exception. 

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

They gotta wear color-coordinated outfits, this is disrespectful

Actually - agree. This is dumb movie made for nostalgia factor of old fans and for fun action and 'splosions for newcomers. They should do at least that to appeal for fans. This would not hurt the movie at all.

Over at Rangercrew, yellowguy found information about an art director who says the budget for the Power Rangers movie is $120 million.  That's much higher than what even Scott Mendelson of Forbes was saying.  And now I ask you: is it too much?  I know there are Ranger fans out there happy with news of such a budget, but Lionsgate this year has already released a $140 million flop in Gods of Egypt, so does it appear that Lionsgate will continue to do what they've been doing for big budget release with no changes, even if they flop?

Edited by Outrageous!

The Power Rangers movie logo has been officially revealed by its account on Twitter.  As expected, it does say "Saban's Power Rangers" with "Saban's" in red lettering above "Power Rangers," with a different lightning bolt than usual.

Also, from NewsKamloops, downtown Kamloops will be the film setting for Angel Grove.  Some filming is taking place there this week, and next week too.

I also saw this post about the movie's potential profit on Rangerboard.  It is a rough estimate of what a $120 million budget movie would need to earn worldwide, which johnboy3434 estimates to be $468 million worldwide.  Do those numbers sound like a good guess for what the movie will need to do next year, or are there assumptions he is making that are not accounted for in his analysis?

Edited by Outrageous!