lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

Just now, Hatebox said:

Presumably the one black guy in the team won't be put in a black suit, a la the TV show?

The Black guy is in Blue, and the Asian guy is in Black. The Yellow Ranger is Hispanic. So yeah, no unfortunate race/color synchronicity this time around.

1 minute ago, johnboy3434 said:

Transformers appealed to the exact same age group. That was then. This is now.

The difference is that Transformers was a phenomenon long before Michael Bay. Unlike Power Rangers it maintained relevancy and was still a ultra popular toy line up until the movies came out. Just like Spider-Man and Batman young boys just always had some piece of Transformers merchandise. If anything I think you've underestimated just how big Transformers was before the movie. Same goes for Ninja Turtles. Power Rangers have never reached the level of popularity those two franchises had back then and have now. The fact that Disney sold off the franchise should be the most telling factor. That company selling off its characters is unheard off.

27 minutes ago, AJG said:

The difference is that Transformers was a phenomenon long before Michael Bay. Unlike Power Rangers it maintained relevancy and was still a ultra popular toy line up until the movies came out. Just like Spider-Man and Batman young boys just always had some piece of Transformers merchandise. If anything I think you've underestimated just how big Transformers was before the movie. Same goes for Ninja Turtles. Power Rangers have never reached the level of popularity those two franchises had back then and have now. The fact that Disney sold off the franchise should be the most telling factor. That company selling off its characters is unheard off.

Umm, no. Transformers fell into obscurity after Beast Machines (ignoring its previous bout of obscurity after Gen 1), with its only TV presence being cheaply dubbed Japanese productions kept on life support by its toy sales, similar to PR. The movie franchise revitalized it. And while its time in the spotlight didn't last as long, PR at its height was bigger than Transformers and TMNT ever were. It was a pop culture colossus.

And all that's ignoring the box office climate. With the state of superhero films right now, PR actually has a better chance of succeeding in theaters now than it did back when it was popular. Does this mean it will? Of course not. Shit happens. But to dismiss its potential out of hand is utterly ridiculous and has no logical basis whatsoever.

Also, side note: Disney never set out to buy PR, and they only ever owned half the brand because of the nature of the show's production. They bought a TV channel, and Saban's video library was part of the package, which included an already-in-progress season of PR. They never wanted it in the first place, but it made enough money for them to keep producing it, despite having a sour relationship with the Japanese co-owner Toei and the show not really fitting with their emerging trend of tween sitcoms. When it finally stopped making that money, they stopped making it (after trying and failing to cancel it three times due to contract issues), and Saban bought it back for a song. Now he's making more money from it than they ever did, because he actually wants it and wants to do something with it. While I'd hardly say the show is "relevant", it's in a much better place now than Transformers was in 2006.

Edited by johnboy3434

The Hollywood Reporter has an new article up this morning about Feltheimer's comments.  In the article, Lionsgate mentions how the costume talk was trending when they were revealed.  However, not all trending talk is good publicity.  The Jem trailer from May 2015 is memorable for its negative reaction, and last week, in the video game world, there was a lot of criticism directed towards Mighty No. 9's trailer.

What is not mentioned in the article, but what I feel could be a factor if is Beauty and the Beast.  How much repeat business will that get in its second weekend?  I feel a significant portion of female moviegoers may want to see BatB that weekend.  I can see Lionsgate remaining in the March 24 slot in the hopes of a "rising tide lifts all boats" scenario, where movie going that picks up for BatB turns into higher ticket sales for all movies.  That's something that might have happened for the 2014 TMNT movie following the week after Guardians of the Galaxy.

12 hours ago, Outrageous! said:

The movie is now down to 5 credited writers as Max Landis tweeted his name will be removed from the writing credits for the movie, and he sounds grateful for it from that tweet.

Max Landis was involved with this? How poetic

On 5/26/2016 at 2:43 PM, Outrageous! said:

When I saw you use that phrase, I immediately thought of Ron Wasserman and his history with Saban.  And on Rangerboard, Ron Wasserman himself explained why he is not part of the Lionsgate movie.

Wow, never knew that.

I do love Wasserman work on Power Rangers, he created some kick-ass rock heavy songs. That being what he said is a little inaccurate, considering John Williams is not the only composer who actually composes his work. Plenty of other composers do, but that's neither here or there, really.

Is it odd I'm really hoping the full title of this is actually Saban's Power Rangers?

Granted, I laughed every time I drove past the building of the company that distributed this shit...simply cause the company was called...DIC.

Yeah I'm childish like that.

8 hours ago, kowhite said:

Is it odd I'm really hoping the full title of this is actually Saban's Power Rangers?

Granted, I laughed every time I drove past the building of the company that distributed this shit...simply cause the company was called...DIC.

DIC never distributed this. It distributed the knock-off shows Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad and Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills. Power Rangers was always distributed by Saban.

Edited by johnboy3434

A tie-in mobile video game was announced today.  Lionsgate sent out a press release for it.  When I think of video games and Saban Brands in recent years, I immediately think of the one that was not an official Power Rangers Bandai Namco video game but still got the attention of Saban Brands: Chroma Squad.  In fact, Chroma Squad has something that ties into a post made in this thread recently:

On 6/7/2016 at 10:57 PM, kowhite said:

The official title on the Chroma Squad "cover art" reads as follows: "Chroma Squad: Tactical RPG - Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers."  So, if Behold Studios put in the "Saban's Power Rangers" part, it sounds like there is a good chance the movie's title will follow suit and be called "Saban's Power Rangers."