lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Lone Ranger cost far more than it should have done, $250m for a western is insane 

Unofficial (but very reputable) sources put the number way higher. But yes, too expensive. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised anyone shoots films or TV in Los Angeles with the tax credits in other places but I guess Hollywood is well equipped with studios so it's more convenient

California does have some tax credits as well, though demand exceeds supply. The other benefits are what the state has always had: huge and varied terrain that can cover for most parts of the world within a few hours drive of major cities, and a tremendous amount of extremely experienced crew-members and facilities. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised anyone shoots films or TV in Los Angeles with the tax credits in other places but I guess Hollywood is well equipped with studios so it's more convenient

California started giving some interesting tax credit recently, and production start coming back.

California Film and Television Tax Credit - For taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2016, a new film credit against tax will be allowed. The new tax credit is allocated and certified by the California Film Commission (CFC).

The credit is:

• 25% of the qualified expenditures attributable to the production of either a television series that relocated to California in its first year of receiving a tax credit allocation or an independent film.

• 20% of the qualified expenditures attributable to the production of a qualified motion picture in California or a television series that relocated to California that is in its second or subsequent years of receiving a tax credit allocation.

Additional credits, not to exceed a total of 5% of qualified expenditures, may be allowed:

• 5% of qualified expenditures relating to music scoring or music track recording attributable to the production of a qualified motion picture in California.

• 5% of qualified expenditures relating to qualified visual effects attributable to the production of a qualified motion picture in California.

• 5% of qualified expenditures relating to original photography outside the “Los Angeles Zone”.

But they only spend like 330 million a year maximum I think.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

The English shenanigans when it comes to tax credits are downright evil.

Funny how nothing of importance is happening in Los Angeles right now, that s globalization for you.

Designed in Los Angeles, Made in England.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Weren't MCU films shot on $140-150m budget for the first couple of films as Ike was too cheap to increase budgets?

Marvel was incredibly short on cash and had a 525m loan or something to make the first films. If these movies  weren't successful, the characters would belong to the bank now, as they were given as collateral. 

Edited by Goffe

1 hour ago, TelemAAchos said:

Unofficial (but very reputable) sources put the number way higher. But yes, too expensive. 

According to "official" numbers, Pirates 3 is the most expensive movie of all time after inflation (about $342M). Does that sound about right, or have some other films gone past that once you get into off-the-record expenses?

The final word on the production budget seems to be $100M. Assuming various rules of thumb (marketing budget is 50% of production, LG gets 55% of domestic gross and [the prepaid equivalent of] one-third of foreign gross, minimum satisfactory return of 10%) and past projections about the film's legs (specifically, BO.com's long-term forecast of a 2.89x multiplier), that would put the opening weekend "success threshold" at $55.4M. Of course, any number of unknown factors could change that, especially profits that are not directly gained from the film itself, like merchandising, product placement, and tax breaks.

Meanwhile, BO.com has made an official opening weekend projection of $36M. So yeah.

Edited by johnboy3434

I just got back from seeing it. it was kinda weird.

pretty sure I saw a cow penis at the start? idk. the Black Ranger was

terrible, both his character and the acting. I liked where it was going at the start and then it got kinda lame past the halfway mark but I'm not sure that opinion will be shared cause that's when all the action happens

• Like 1

10 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

The final word on the production budget seems to be $100M. Assuming various rules of thumb (marketing budget is 50% of production, LG gets 55% of domestic gross and [the prepaid equivalent of] one-third of foreign gross, minimum satisfactory return of 10%) and past projections about the film's legs (specifically, BO.com's long-term forecast of a 2.89x multiplier), that would put the opening weekend "success threshold" at $55.4M. Of course, any number of unknown factors could change that, especially profits that are not directly gained from the film itself, like merchandising, product placement, and tax breaks.

Meanwhile, BO.com has made an official opening weekend projection of $36M. So yeah.

I would be interested on how/where those rules of thumb come from and if they are adjusted for Liongates (Liongates usually spend much less on marketing than major studio and like you said sales foreign gross, not having Intl marketing expense), they look like they are.

From the sony leak, during the 2006-2014 year's, sony total expense for their movies were of 28 billion and were split like that:

Source of expense         Total        %
DTH MARKETING             (5,866,385) $     21%
DTH PRINTS COS               (871,294) $     3%
DTH WPF DUES OTHER COS        (340,165) $     1%
ITH MARKETING            (2,601,562) $     9%
ITH PRINTS (COS)        (1,062,961) $     4%
ITH WPF, FREIGHT, OTHER (COS)    (270,762) $     1%
DHE MARKETING            (1,044,398) $     4%
DHE RELEASING COSTS - MFG COS    (1,280,725) $     5%
IHE MARKETING            (486,013) $     2%
IHE RELEASING COSTS - MFG COS    (820,764) $     3%
TV MARKETING            (43,802) $     0%
TV OTHER COSTS COS        (68,834) $     0%
DIRECT PRODUCTION COSTS        (9,256,003) $     33%
OVERHEAD            (808,450) $    3%
PARTICIPATIONS            (2,234,617) $     8%
RESIDUALS            (1,024,544) $     4%

Total                (28,081,279) $     100%

Marketing expense have been a bigger expense than production in that time frame:

Total marketing expense: 5,866,385 (domestic release) + 2,601,562 (intl release) +1,044,398 (domestic home video) + 486,013 (intl home video) + 43,802 (tv release) = 10 million, versus 9.25 for production cost.

• Like 1

Those rules are not adjusted for Lionsgate's practices (because I don't know how exactly to quantify them). Every individual situation will deviate at least a little from them, of course, because that's usually what happens with rules of thumb. I just picked them up from following box office-related discussion over the years. Combine that with the indirect sources of profit mentioned, and for all I know the movie could be a success with a $15M opening weekend. But absent any specifics, I would want to see it make at least $55.4M before I would break out the party poppers.

• Like 1

I was specially curious about the 50% of the budget into marketing rules of thumb, if you look at a deadline estimate of a 100 million budget movie, like Cinderella

http://deadline.com/2016/03/cinderella-movie-profit-2015-box-office-disney-1201724740/

Net Production cost: 95 million

World theatrical release cost: 130 million

World home video release cost: 38.28 million

total releasing cost: 168.28, or around 170% of the production cost

Obviously, those are not just marketing expense, but the print part in P&A is getting smaller and smaller.

50% of the net production budget seem really low for marketing cost as a rules of thumb, specially for a movie with a budget under 200 million.

I just watched PR...

Yeah, it's a weird movie and I LOVED IT. Very funny (lots of laugh in my show), great pace, good acting...

I just expected a bit more about the action scenes, but they were good. I'm excited about the sequel.

I DOUBT it will have bad legs. I'm sure GA will like. It deserves every success it will have.

8/10

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

I just watched PR...

Yeah, it's a weird movie and I LOVED IT. Very funny (lots of laugh in my show), great pace, good acting...

I just expected a bit more about the action scenes, but they were good. I'm excited about the sequel.

I DOUBT it will have bad legs. I'm sure GA will like. It deserves every success it will have.

8/10

happy you saw it alisson brazil loves pr

Edited by Gokira2012
  • Like 1

Box Office Mojo has given its projection for opening weekend: $38M. If BoxOffice.com's predicted 2.89x multiplier holds, that would leave it with a total domestic gross of $110M. If so, then in order to get around a 10% return, Lionsgate would need to have gotten a combined $104M or so between selling the rights to foreign distributors and whatever its share from UK ticket sales is. Of course, there's no way to know how much they got for the sales, but to put it in perspective, that's roughly what they would have gotten from a $314M foreign gross if they had been able to distribute it themselves. The question, then, is whether the foreign distributors saw at least that level of potential in the film.

Edited by johnboy3434