lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Wasn't the budget announced at 140M a few months ago ?

<_<

Yeah, that was the initially announced budget but I've read somewhere a few weeks back that they actually announced it as bigger than it was to try to give it some hype, I kid you not. No idea whether this is really true though.

7 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Yeah, that was the initially announced budget but I've read somewhere a few weeks back that they actually announced it as bigger than it was to try to give it some hype, I kid you not. No idea whether this is really true though.

Nope, the initial discussed budget was 35M lmao.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

The first budget number reported was an "insider projection" of $75M. Then months and months and months later, the number of $120M was reported. Now, it's being reported as $105M.

It's possible all those numbers are somewhat accurate, taking into account various subsidies and tax credits, that sort of thing. 

9 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

It's possible all those numbers are somewhat accurate, taking into account various subsidies and tax credits, that sort of thing. 

Yeah, something like Guardians of The Galaxy, that had a budget of 225 million and then it went to 170 million.

Same thing with X-Men Apocalypse. Some reports had it with a budget of 225 million, but then it went down to 178 million. It's quite normal, I would say.

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Yeah, something like Guardians of The Galaxy, that had a budget of 225 million and then it went to 170 million.

Same thing with X-Men Apocalypse. Some reports had it with a budget of 225 million, but then it went down to 178 million. It's quite normal, I would say.

Of course, it's also worth remembering that budgets are usually 10-15% higher (at a minimum) than officially reported.

• Like 1

With every film adaptation of popular TV shows nowadays, Hollywood has the tendency to take something that was light-hearted and make it dark, brooding, or inappropriately crude. With this Power Rangers film, it's great to see something that started off silly maintain it’s silliness. 

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//power-rangers-review

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Other way around I think for Guardian, it was reported around $170 million but people did found the registered company registered by Marvel for the movie (Infinity Works Productions), that had a 3 month expense report and gave a $232 million budget, they confirmed to Forbes that it was the valid number and because journalist can see UK tax credit they know it ended up costing around $196 million, it is a rare movie that you can actually see all the 3 month expense and if you transfer the pound to the US value of that time you arrive at the same number Forbes did.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2015/01/27/disney-reveals-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-over-budget-at-232-million/#572fe9d137c2

The X-men apocalypse, I not 100% sure if it is the only source, but Simon Kinberg the writer and producer said in a podcast that the budget was $200 million, he was not sure for the net budget because the tax credit auditing and all that and because we don't know Québec tax credits for individual movie I imagine $178 million is an estimate from that.

But yeah not only you are not sure how much tax credit you will get, but depending of the jurisdiction you are not sure for how much you will be able to sell them if needed.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

SM3 is the epitome. Sony lost control and the production cost topped $300 million, according into countless rumblings leading up to release, yet Sony reported that hilariously contrived $258 million figure.

The leaked Sony accounting show a direct net production cost of 299.763 million yes, considering that Raimi and Co. got a bit over 150 million in bonus on that movie, that end up being quite an expensive movie, over 450 million for the budget + participation bonus.

It is just a 16% bump from the reported figure thought, pretty standard, even a bit on the low side probably. The 193.5 million Angels&Demon was reported at 150 million, that is 29% more.

Those around 250 million budget for massive superheros movie are usually a bit of a jokes, age of ultron $250 million is quite small relative to how much they were getting in tax credit too, they had spent over 300 million US in november 2014. It is just a filling number the press use when they do not know and use them for a lot of them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/disney-handed-record-31m-tax-credit-for-filming-avengers-in-uk-9783561.html

According to the accounts, Disney has so far spent £208.1m on making Avengers 2,

That article is from Wednesday 8 October 2014, they had spent 333 million US and that was 6 month before the movie release.

Edited by Barnack

9 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

The PIRATES franchise is sort of the gold standard for wild spending (after the first one).

Thats because it had Gore and Bruckheimer who have no control over costs although shooting with water is very expensive. The Lone Ranger cost far more than it should have done, $250m for a western is insane 

Weren't MCU films shot on $140-150m budget for the first couple of films as Ike was too cheap to increase budgets?

BvS and Suicide Squad shot in Detroit and Toronto due to the tax credits and Wonder Woman and JL shot in the U.K. so they'll get a hefty tax credit, Aquaman shooting in Queensland which also has tax credit. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jonwo said:

Weren't MCU films shot on $140-150m budget for the first couple of films as Ike was too cheap to increase budgets?

I think some of them were quite expensive, the First captain america for example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2241523/Captain-America-given-18-8m-tax-credits-classed-British-film.html

A £130.5 pound gross budget, in 2011 that was around 205/210 million US, I'm not sure many of the first were known (we usually only know the budget of the MCU shot in the UK, some production place like Georgia, Canada, the budget tend to stay fully private)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think some of them were quite expensive, the First captain america for example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2241523/Captain-America-given-18-8m-tax-credits-classed-British-film.html

A £130.5 pound gross budget, in 2011 that was around 205/210 million US, I'm not sure many of the first were known (we usually only know the budget of the MCU shot in the UK, some production place like Georgia, Canada, the budget tend to stay fully private)

Might explain why Georgia has become popular for shooting blockbusters. Ant-Man, Civil War, Guardians 2 and Avengers 3 and 4 shot there. 

The tax credits has really boosted the U.K.'s film industry to the point where studios are at capacity and there's shooting in places like Birmingham, which is where Ready Player One was shot. 

I'm surprised anyone shoots films or TV in Los Angeles with the tax credits in other places but I guess Hollywood is well equipped with studios so it's more convenient

That's a huge spoiler right there, buddy. Seriously, hide it.

I didn't know that would happen in the movie ( the name of the video quite spoils it ). I guess it's time to leave, so I won't get spoiled anymore.

I'll be back once I watch the flick, in order to give my honest review. 

• Like 3