lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

Well, to be honest, the difference between Life's numbers and PR' s numbers in Australia, is quite small.

Let's not judge its performance only based on Thursdays, shall we? ;)

It was posted over in Life's thread but apparently typically it would translate to $15M OW for both in the US but because BATB is opening in Aus, he sees both films closer to $30M for US for their OWs. I'm gonna go ahead and say the way PR is selling in the states and because it's more kid friendly, that $30M is definitely the floor now. And that Life is probably closer to $20M. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

It was posted over in Life's thread but apparently typically it would translate to $15M OW for both in the US but because BATB is opening in Aus, he sees both films closer to $30M for US for their OWs. I'm gonna go ahead and say the way PR is selling in the states and because it's more kid friendly, that $30M is definitely the floor now. And that Life is probably closer to $20M. 

20 million would be great for Life! Not so good for Power Rangers. 

I'm really curious about the performances for this weekend, though.

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

20 million would be great for Life! Not so good for Power Rangers. 

I'm really curious about the performances for this weekend, though.

I wouldn't be shocked if Life does way better over seas than it does in the states. And that PR does way better in the states than it does overseas. 

Whats crazy is that this weekend in freaking March we will have a film that makes $85M+, another with $30-45M, one in the $15-20M range and another around $15M. Crazy if you ask me! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Saw this in a sold-out 7PM showing. The audience loved it. Lots of cheering. As for me...was this movie supposed to show off diversity? I felt like its the most racist movie I've seen, but that's just my perspective...

The TV show was about diversity, don't worry we are gonna all be mixed one day

Broke my word. Bored. Recovered from the flu. Nobody around.

So I went to see it. Needless to say, it went just about as well as I expected. I didn't like the style of the film, nor was I wowed by the special effects. The humor had people cringing (I also had a hard time finding reasons to laugh). But I did appreciate the attempt at developing the characters, however bare bones it was. And I'm observing it as its own thing without judging it based on the first Power Rangers television series. It just wasn't good, and I should have done what I said I'd do months ago: Redbox it. Not worth the $9.25 I paid for a ticket.

That being said, I'm pretty sure a lot of you will find reasons to enjoy it. I personally couldn't. Logan and Kong: Skull Island were far more enjoyable films.

By the way, there was a post-credits scene I didn't know about. Did not stick around for it.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Saw this in a sold-out 7PM showing. The audience loved it. Lots of cheering. As for me...was this movie supposed to show off diversity? I felt like its the most racist movie I've seen, but that's just my perspective...

Yes, this is not going to have bad WOM. It's funny how people use the critics' opinion to tell if audience will like a movie or don't. Makes no sense.

13 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

:wintf:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

:wintf:

Spoiler

1. The autistic spectrum character just happened to be the Black guy.

2. The homosexual character just happened to be the Latino female.

3. The white guy keeps saving and protecting the females and the minorities.

4. The black guy dies.

5. They all have problems: the Asian guy has no dad and his mother is dying, the Black guy is autistic and his father is dead, the Latino girl is always the new girl because her family moves too often, but the white girl's problem is that she was a cheerleader that did something stupid, and the white guy was the star QB who is rebelling against his father's high expectations...

6. To show girl power, the Latino girl beats up the Asian guy

7. When they walk towards the audience in a line, the white guy leads the team in the middle, with the two girls flanking him, and the Asian and Black guy bringing up the rear.

8. When the Megazord is formed, the White guy is the head and calls all the shots at the top of the robot, with the two females right below him as the shoulders throwing the punches at the villain, and at the bottom the Black guy and Asian guy are the knees...

9. The black guys friends and mother are super excited that he's associated with the two white leads.

10. The black guy is the least popular person in school and gets picked on.

11. The Asian guy doesn't even go to school so nobody knows who he is.

12. The Latino girl is basically invisible at school as well.

13. Did I mention the two white leads have a sucky life because the White male has high expectations of being a perfect quarterback and the White girl is a cheerleader?

WTH...Diversity? This is like Predators when the death order went 1) Black guy, 2) Latino guy, 3)Asian guy and White girl and White guy remain...

3 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:
  Reveal hidden contents

See it's things like these that encourages racism. When you look out for these things it means your mind is always on the lookout for racist attributes in movies. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

C'mon... I will just disagree with that list of things and move on.

Well, it was all there, but yeah, I guess different people can come away with it with a different outlook. I was thinking, for the diverse/world-wide appeal they'd at least mix things up a bit...

4 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

See it's things like these that encourages racism. When you look out for these things it means your mind is always on the lookout for racist attributes in movies. 

I was just looking for something refreshing like...

Spoiler

The Red Ranger being the White guy who is autistic, homosexual, least popular person in school, picked on, only Ranger to die in the movie, and need the help of minorities...Being different doesn't make you inferior, but why are all the minorities the ones with the differences while the White leads have the typical top-of-High-School-food-chain lives? 

4 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Well, it was all there, but yeah, I guess different people can come away with it with a different outlook. I was thinking, for the diverse/world-wide appeal they'd at least mix things up a bit...

I was just looking for something refreshing like...

Hide contents

The Red Ranger being the White guy who is autistic, homosexual, least popular person in school, picked on, only Ranger to die in the movie, and need the help of minorities...Being different doesn't make you inferior, but why are all the minorities the ones with the differences while the White leads have the typical top-of-High-School-food-chain lives? 

These how the characters were on the show

Just now, Gokira2012 said:

These how the characters were on the show

Oh okay. That makes a lot more sense, then. Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the show. Seemed like I was the only one scratching my head in my audience. Everybody else seemed to love every aspect of the movie, including my wife.

For the international markets, the reason why places like Brazil may be doing better than other markets could be because they had dubs of Super Sentai (not Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) in the 1980s.  Countries that aired a dubbed series of Super Sentai like Bioman, Changeman, etc. are likely to do better because an older set of moviegoers can be included as being fans of the property.