lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

2 minutes ago, Momo said:

sequels are dead in the water. maybe it be tried again 10 years from now,but right now. the movie plans are gone.

To be honest, I'm curious would we have different results if it were an CGI animated family film, or a different studio like Disney or Universal.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

To be honest, I'm curious would we have different results if it were an CGI animated family film, or a different studio like Disney or Universal.

Disney had PR at one time. They sold it back to Haim Saban. Who has a rep of being very cheap.

The way they sold it internationally was a good thing and a bad thing. Good because theyll actually make profit on this one, but bad because they won't be able to sell it internationally again like this since it has done so poorly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Momo said:

sequels are dead in the water. maybe it be tried again 10 years from now,but right now. the movie plans are gone.

If Bandai were to make a bunch of money from the movie toys, then I could see there being a sequel, but I have not heard if there has been a big increase in PR toy sales because of the movie.  If there was, Bandai probably would have said something by now.

And even if there was to be a sequel made for 2019 or 2020, the next Power Rangers TV show is supposedly starting out with 9 Rangers in 2019, based on the newest Super Sentai show Kyuranger.  And those last for two years now.  That lineup, plus new figures for the existing Rangers from the movie, means Bandai would have to make a lot of toys for both the TV show and movie sequel.

6 minutes ago, Cookson said:

The way they sold it internationally was a good thing and a bad thing. Good because theyll actually make profit on this one, but bad because they won't be able to sell it internationally again like this since it has done so poorly. 

Yeah and clearly the distubtors OS didn't understand the project or care to promote it. Hence the bad numbers also.

26 minutes ago, YourMother said:

23 minutes ago, Momo said:

Disney had PR at one time. They sold it back to Haim Saban. Who has a rep of being very cheap.

Disney wanted an animated series at one point, but it is rumored Toei told them no.  And the simple phrase, "Disney sold Power Rangers," says a lot about how large the audience for something like Power Rangers can be, if even Disney, with thousands and thousands of character rights, was willing to part with the IP.

And another CGI film is where I expect the Ninja Turtles to go to next.  I know that there was that TMNT 2007 film, but after Big Hero 6, it just seems to be a good fit for the Ninja Turtles to return to a fully animated theatrical movie.  And the Turtles have had more successful movies than the Rangers throughout the decades, so it is likely to return to new movies sooner than PR, if no sequel to this movie is made.

Edited by Outrageous!

Said this on another forum.. I still wonder how much better PR movie would have done BO wise if it open in Jan or Feb. Away from BATB,Logan,and Kong. I think it would have not had the drops we have been seeing every week for sure.

The movie flopped period. Some PR fans can spin all they want,but it flopped. Their are several reasons they did so. Number 1, the director. I don't care how nice the guy is or how much a fan of the series he was. Haim Saban should have never been allowed to pick the director period. Lionsgate should have paid Saban to not be involved with the project. When you let Saban to be hands on. Stuff going to be done on the cheap. Case and point hiring a Director from a movie that bombed before this one. Number 2,the release date. Any way you slice it putting it up against BATB,Kong,and Logan was asine period. Number 3,the promotion of the movie. It had very little promos,ad,etc in the US or OS. If you have faith in a project. You promote the hell out of it. Clearly Lionsgate/Saban did not have faith in it. Finally the tone of the movie. The movie should have been none stop action,martial arts,and explosions. That was what the general audience was expecting. What they got was breakfast club junior. The fandom may have loved that,but the general audience didn't.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Momo said:

The movie flopped period. Some PR fans can spin all they want,but it flopped. Their are several reasons they did so. Number 1, the director. I don't care how nice the guy is or how much a fan of the series he was. Haim Saban should have never been allowed to pick the director period. Lionsgate should have paid Saban to not be involved with the project. When you let Saban to be hands on. Stuff going to be done on the cheap. Case and point hiring a Director from a movie that bombed before this one. Number 2,the release date. Any way you slice it putting it up against BATB,Kong,and Logan was asine period. Number 3,the promotion of the movie. It had very little promos,ad,etc in the US or OS. If you have faith in a project. You promote the hell out of it. Clearly Lionsgate/Saban did not have faith in it. Finally the tone of the movie. The movie should have been none stop action,martial arts,and explosions. That was what the general audience was expecting. What they got was breakfast club junior. The fandom may have loved that,but the general audience didn't.

I've never seen a PR show in my life and I loved this but you are absolutely right. 

I still don't get why this wasn't in August. Right before kids went back to school, would have eked out a bit more.

43 minutes ago, Momo said:

I'm about as "general audience" as it gets when it comes to PR, and I liked the movie.

The rest of it -- well, you're a fan and you wanted a particular thing. I understand you're disappointed. But Saban and Lionsgate are probably turning a healthy little profit on this, so it's hard to say they did anything horribly wrong from a business standpoint.

27 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I've never seen a PR show in my life and I loved this but you are absolutely right. 

I still don't get why this wasn't in August. Right before kids went back to school, would have eked out a bit more.

Agree,I think it massive 64 percent drops the weeks after it release would have been a lot less. If it wasn't going up against those blockbusters.

4 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

I'm about as "general audience" as it gets when it comes to PR, and I liked the movie.

The rest of it -- well, you're a fan and you wanted a particular thing. I understand you're disappointed. But Saban and Lionsgate are probably turning a healthy little profit on this, so it's hard to say they did anything horribly wrong from a business standpoint.

How much profit can they really be turning from a movie that probably only manage 87M in US and 170 WW? And here a question if they did put another movie out. Would you see it?

1 minute ago, Momo said:

How much profit can they really be turning from a movie that probably only manage 87M in US and 170 WW? And here a question if they did put another movie out. Would you see it?

LG is notorious for hedging their bets and minimizing investment through foreign presales and the like. (And, of course, they don't have distribution operations overseas). It's been widely reported that their overall investment is fairly small. Theatrical and post-theatrical revenue will turn this into a nice money-maker for them. 

I only saw this one because of my son, but he'd likely want to see another if they made it... so, yes?

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The international performance for this is really quite horrendous.

I thought it would make more overseas than US. 

You and me both. I thought OS would be were it made most of it's money,because for years I have been told by PR fans. That it was the OS markets that was keeping the show alive.