lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

1 minute ago, TelemAAchos said:

I very much doubt that demographics have anything to do with it. More like it simply didn't appeal to anyone other than diehard fans. 

I'm shocked you actually understood a word of that post. All I saw were words and numbers but nothing coherent. 

• Like 2

Just now, DMan7 said:

Why would overseas distributors even bother buying the rights to begin with?

They bought Gods of Egypt after all, I imagine that in some case they take a chance on a big budget movie like that before seeing it and from time to time they make a fortune, like on the first hunger games that was bought for like 50 million.

Say if it was 75 million, not a bad deal at all for theatrical + HE +TV outside China for Liongates.

Couple of example of movie overseas profit (theatrical + HE + TV) with their oversea box office.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: 130 million IBO

61.129 million profit (4.3 million from theater, 21.8 from home ent, 35 from TV)

Elysium : $193 million IBO

105.05 million profit (26.59 million from theater, 32.86 home ent, 45.6 TV)

The Smurfs 2: $276 million IBO

123.22 million profit (42.35 million from theater, 25.9 home ent, 55 TV)

What hurt with pre-saling is loosing international TV, there is a lot of money in it and cost nothing.

15 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Why would overseas distributors even bother buying the rights to begin with?

So that they can market the film in their territories and hopefully make themselves a profit.

Scream 4 was sold to international distributors. Quite a lot of films are unless they're from the big 5/6. 

7 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

I very much doubt that demographics have anything to do with it. More like it simply didn't appeal to anyone other than diehard fans. 

you don't really believe that, most power ranger fans are white

Edited by Gokira2012

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'm shocked you actually understood a word of that post. All I saw were words and numbers but nothing coherent. 

I'm surprised that anyone responds to him at all. I tuned him out myself. lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Momo said:

I'm surprised that anyone responds to him at all. I tuned him out myself. lol

momo you and i can be friends, i owe you an apology, you were right about the numbers...... the entire power ranger fandom on many boards you post have been saying disgusting things abou you, and it was not right, you didn't deserve that

4 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

all movies are about demographics

At a certain basic point this is true, but correlation doesn't equal causation. There's no real data pointing to one ethnic demographic rejecting or accepting the movie more than another. What does seem to be the case is that territories with significant active PR fans had some better turnout than those who didn't. 

The PR fanbase in the US isn't nearly what it was 15-20 years ago. People who were kids then have (mostly) moved on. 

20 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

At a certain basic point this is true, but correlation doesn't equal causation. There's no real data pointing to one ethnic demographic rejecting or accepting the movie more than another. What does seem to be the case is that territories with significant active PR fans had some better turnout than those who didn't. 

The PR fanbase in the US isn't nearly what it was 15-20 years ago. People who were kids then have (mostly) moved on. 

that is not true, a movie that depends on it's fanbase alone has no hopes at becoming a franchise

2 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

that is not true, a movie that depends on it's fanbase alone has no hopes at becoming a franchise

And at this point, the sole reason PR has any chance at being a franchise is because LG covered a large portion of their expenses. I mean, it hasn't really caught on dramatically, has it? This movie will do okay but it's hardly some big resounding success. Audiences have more options and it seems like they (mostly) chose them instead. 

Before people spell it's doom in here. Can we aleast wait until others countries numbers come in. I mean it still hasn't been released in Spain,France,Italy,Japan,or China yet.

P.S. Also forgot South Korea as well.

Edited by Momo

4 minutes ago, Momo said:

Before people spell it's doom in here. Can we aleast wait until others countries numbers come in. I mean it still hasn't been released in Spain,France,Italy,Japan,or China yet.

P.S. Also forgot South Korea as well.

they are not dooming and glooming, they thought power rangers was a dumb idea from the start

Expanding the Power Rangers Movie Universe

"Along with the Zeo Crystal the film also featured several other world building tidbits, including the tease of Tommy Oliver, the Green power coin, and Zordon referring to the past Power Rangers as a “legion of warriors." Gatins says these were all suggestions of things to come, “whether it be in graphic novels or TV shows or animated shows or for future movies potentially.”

Gatins didn’t elaborate on that statement but expanding the Power Rangers universe beyond the movie screen is already happening with the release of the graphic novel, Power Rangers: Aftershock. You can read more about it here, but basically it takes place directly after the movie and involves a new set of monsters attacking the city. While Gatins’ comments are very much of a blue sky nature, it’s exciting to know that everyone is ready to take the Power Rangers movie universe in as many directions as possible if the film is a success.

Could that possibly include spinoffs? There are several other Saban series the film series could draw on, including VR Troopers and Masked Rider. Gatins laughs and elaborates, “Anything is possible. I worked on Kong: Skull Island and that’s a movie that we knew without knowing there was the bubblings of a universe and everything now is a universe. Everything feels like it’s going to have cousins and second cousins. You never know.”

No matter where the franchise goes however, Gatins would want to keep the story focused on the Ranger characters. "Teenagers, as much as they won’t say it, they want to be like, 'Oh, that’s like my realaionship with so and so'. I like that in movies and TV shows. I’d like to push further in the (Rangers) personal relationships and their personal stories." he told me. "Let the world of the Power Rangers characters and arcs and evil forces kind of find them and have them come together.""

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/power-rangers/263205/expanding-the-power-rangers-movie-universe