A Marvel Fanboy

The Paramount Pictures Thread

Paramount Global not expected to reach deal with buyer by 30-day deadline - report

Paramount Global (NASDAQ:PARA) is not likely to reach a deal with Skydance Media, Redbird for a deal during a 30-day exclusive window it's negotiating with the potential buyer.

The 30-day window to speak to David Ellison's Skydance is set to

On 4/17/2024 at 2:12 PM, Speedorito said:

So what exactly is the best case scenario for Paramount at this point?

i assume acquired by Skydance that will operate it like a movie studio and maybe sell off tv assets , being swallowed by another movie studio is the worst case scenario

3 hours ago, AJG said:

Bloody hell it looks like Sony wants in on the M&A game too. Sony-WB anyone?

While I personally don't think this deal will happen or want it to.  It is smart for Sony to make a play here for paramount or WB

Sony needs franchises other than spiderman to stay afloat in Hollywood. Let's compare what they would get:

Paramount has: star trek, transformers, gi joe sonic SpongeBob, avatar the last Airbender, top gun, smile, TMNT south park mission impossible and some of the marimax franchises. ( alongside potential one for Danny Phantom, and a potential follow up for days of thunder [ I'll be honest those rumblings for DoT2 is coming more from Charlotte NC, than Hollywood]

As for WB you have DC, Harry Potter, the conjuring, ready player one, monsterverse* dune* looney tunes, RWBY, Wonka and Scooby doo.

( Yes I know WB doesn't have much creative control on dune or monsterverse films. That's legendary. But legendary does have a deal with Sony)

Another aspect to put into play is Sony has gone in a different direction when it comes to streaming services which both have. Now from what I understand max is really liked in the USA ( Canadian here so I can't get it thanks Bell.) and paramount+ is struggling. Sony tends to play to niche audiences with their streaming plans ( crunchyroll and pureflix)

As for the way I see it: paramount is a fits into Sony's plans alot better then WB does. That's what the eye test is telling me

I imagine if Sony buys Paramount we'll be seeing a lot of licensing for not only their stuff but also (Paramount+ with) Showtime's originals. They just announced the other week that the standalone app for the latter is being shut down.

I think there should be more skepticism at this point on whether hoovering up more TV/film IP is really a huge path toward continued success for a company like Sony. It's a real question mark that buying Fox actually helped Disney that much and as far as I can tell, WB adding the Discovery catalogue hasn't done much for them. Maybe buying smaller assets like a Marvel or a Dreamworks Animation makes business sense, but absorbing another studio like this? Sony would be stuck with a lot of declining linear channels. It's too late in the game for them to make a major play in the streaming space and all of their own product is tied up in streaming deals with Netflix and Disney for the foreseeable future so Paramount+ would be a pretty worthless asset for them. Is all that trouble really worth it just so you could churn out some Mission Impossible and Transformers movies (franchises that haven't exactly blown up the box office recently)? Why not just let your studio continue to do its thing doing decently in theaters and acting pretty successfully as an "arms dealer" to the streamers and spend this money expanding into something with more potential upside?

• Like 1